Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Iberbanda v telefonica - any thoughts?

Iberbanda v telefonica - any thoughts?

Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Default Iberbanda v telefonica - any thoughts?

Sorry to raise the dreaded topic of Telefonica again especially if there is info elsewhere on the forum but my search didn't yield what I am hoping to find out.

We have just had our 3rd visit from a Movistar engineer in as many weeks and he has declared that they cannot guarantee us a reliable service for phone or internet when it rains! As it rains here in Catalunya quite a lot he recommended we swop to Iberbanda as then there will be no phone line to get wet.

What other half said to this is not for repetition however, we are in sight of the mast and so could probably get a service. It would cost more than Telefonica but if it is reliable it might be worth it.

Since I know that Iberband are part owned by Telefonica I have 3 questions

1) Is their administration similarly inept?
2) Is the service reliable. For example their website says they only guarantee 10% of the service they offer so a 1mb service would be almost non-existent.
3) Do they have a download limit. The website doesn't seem to say and we always exceed ours with Telefonica and have to pay extra.

Final question 1004 won't tell me how much notice to quit the service Telefonica require. Every time I ask they just send another enginneer round. Although they did cancel Novembers bill which was something
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:56 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iberbanda v telefonica - any thoughts?

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Sorry to raise the dreaded topic of Telefonica again especially if there is info elsewhere on the forum but my search didn't yield what I am hoping to find out.

Final question 1004 won't tell me how much notice to quit the service Telefonica require. Every time I ask they just send another enginneer round. Although they did cancel Novembers bill which was something
FWIW My advice is Stay clear from Iberbanda, don't even consider the answers to your questions, forget them. Take it from someone with plenty of experience with both them and telefonica.

Others may tell you different, but if they haven't left them yet, they may well be yet to discover for themselves, their con tricks that will cost them. Just like to add, Should you fall into their trap, when you try to get a lawyer to tackle them, they will tell you, their lawyers are too powerful to take on, and your not the only one this happens to.

I used Telefonica and the service was second to none, I moved to Iberbanda thinking they were cheaper, Huge mistake. Go with them at your peril.

Last edited by anonimouse; Nov 30th 2011 at 11:13 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

1. Iberbanda. We share a service with our neighbour, who has line of sight to a main mast. The only time(s) there are problems are when her hubby is downloading films which slows the shared speed and in extremely (and I do mean extremely) bad weather. We've had a pretty awful windy wet autumn/winter spell recently and not lost service as a result during all of that.... (though the neighbour reckoned she had! maybe we were just not online when it went off, if you see what I mean) Can't comment on cost, we have an arrangement with the neighbour.
2. Cancelling Telefonica. On the assumption Movistar and Telefonica operate out of the same offices/systems, be aware: My previous (contract) mobile with Movistar was on standing order or direct debit, never know which is which. I phoned to cancel. Was told that's fine, I said how do I do it and when do I cancel the bank. Having spent the usual interminable period listening to 'happy' (their holding music, the ultimate irony) someone told me I had to write to cancel. No indication was given about cancelling the payment. I duly wrote, saying I would cancel the bank an appropriate period after Movistar were likely to have received my cancellation letter. I left it about 10 days, rang Movistar, was told almost curtly yes the line had been cancelled, so I went into the bank, cancelled the payment and thought no more of it until I received not one but two unpleasant notifications from credit check agencies claiming I owed Movistar money. Turns out I should have been told (but wasn't) that payments go through in arrears so I was obliged to fulfil the following month's payment. My cancellation, by sod's and murphy's law of life in Spain, was done the previous day Anyway, I paid the same day I received the first of these frightening letters, and although the cancellation went through in June, only THIS WEEK and after a series of emails and registered letters hither and thither did I receive final paper confirmation that I am no longer on anyone's black books.

Upshot? Can't answer how much notice they require, I'm guessing a month, but please learn from my experience and double check if you pay in arrears and which is your last due payment on cancellation.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:01 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I dumped iberbanda after a few months as it constantly under-performed.

Since being with telefonica I have no complaints whatever apart from the ridiculously exorbitant cost - but you can't get around that in Spain.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:26 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Well, from what I can tell, they are basically all the same (they use Telefonica lines anyway). If you can get ONO, people tell me their service is a lot better, and they have their own fiber-optic network, not Telefonica's.

Telephonica, like all utilities in Spain (at least in my area) is extremely expensive and delivers about half of what it promises.

We have Telefonica only because we have no other choice.. no ONO available here... but we can install a 3G link or WiMax system (which I am seriously considering since there are some WiMax providers in our area offering 4Mb internet at €39.95 per month flat rate with a local phone number and guaranteed 24 hour service - but this is Spain, so perhaps that is nonsense, too).

€29.95 per month guaranteed all-inclusive phone + internet is billed at a minimum of €52 per month. If you ask Telefonica about it, they will tell you it's €29.95 flat rate. Period. But the bill will always be at least €52.

Furthermore, in the four years we've been paying the €29.95 all-inclusive flat rate (billed at €52 per month before any calls are mode), the internet (and often the phone) do not work at all if it is raining. We have never been able to get more than 600Kbps download speed, even though we have 1mb contract. We previously had 3Mb contract (billed at €75 per month), but we were only able to get 600Kb, so after one year we were allowed to go back to 1Mb at €29.95 per month (billed at €52 per month).

Service calls are useless. The guarantee of someone showing up within 48 hours is a joke. If they show up at all, they'll usually show up 2-4 weeks later, completely unannounced (only when it is sunny), and do nothing more than confirm that your phone and internet work fine.

In the UK I can get all inclusive telephone and 3MB internet which is actually billed at 20 pounds (19.95) and it actually works - even when it's raining.

So, welcome to Spain.