Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I want to move to Benidorm

I want to move to Benidorm

Old Feb 21st 2016, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Karen7569 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I want to move to Benidorm

Hello I am 46 my husband is 51, I am a funeral director and have done my job since 1998, my husband makes office furniture but can put his hands to most things, we have reached the time of our life where nothing is keeping us in England, we would rather work and be happy & live our days in the sun in a place we both love, Benidorm or very close by, how do we go about moving and securing employment ? I have seen apartments to rent which are suitable we have also looked at Villamar Caravan Park & considered buying a caravan to live in, obviously employment is the main key because everyone needs money to live, can anyone give us any advice please.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 5:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to move to Benidorm

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen7569
Hello I am 46 my husband is 51, I am a funeral director and have done my job since 1998, my husband makes office furniture but can put his hands to most things, we have reached the time of our life where nothing is keeping us in England, we would rather work and be happy & live our days in the sun in a place we both love, Benidorm or very close by, how do we go about moving and securing employment ? I have seen apartments to rent which are suitable we have also looked at Villamar Caravan Park & considered buying a caravan to live in, obviously employment is the main key because everyone needs money to live, can anyone give us any advice please.
Hi, we moved to Benidorm about a year and a half ago and in that time have seen bars, restaurants and several other types of businesses come and go.

There is minimal work opportunities in Benidorm and surrounding areas. Any jobs that do arise usually have waiting lists or are filled by "family members" Do you speak fluent Spanish? You will need private health cover.

Benidorm is a great and lively place to live if you have a secure permanent job. Nobody will help you if you find yourself in financial trouble. There are a lot of men and women beggars on the streets.

We wanted to come to live here 10 years ago but even then decided to wait until we could afford to retire early and just enjoy the lifestyle.

Come here for a long holiday and do some research into the job market and a really good look at Villamar camp site.

Best of luck

Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

With your line of work, and most expats being of middle or old age, there should be plenty of opportunities !
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Hi
I do love my work and wouldlike to continue doing this but need to know the ins & outs first... local funeral services who mainly deal with ex pats etc etc ...
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Where I lived in Camposol, there is The English Funeral director, Tony Smith ,the only one around that area, who provides English type funerals according to the bereaved's wishes, and also deal with documentation, red tape etc, as the Spanish way of dealing with death is very different. Just google and go to his website.
You could always get in touch with him and he could advise you.
I shouldn't think he would object to the competition as he is a long way from you.
You would need to be fluent in Spanish, ideally, but in Benidorm that probably won't be a problem
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi

thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
With your line of work, and most expats being of middle or old age, there should be plenty of opportunities !
Costa Blanca area is supposed to be the healthiest place to live according to the local papers recently. They say we're all going to live years longer!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tebo53
Costa Blanca area is supposed to be the healthiest place to live according to the local papers recently. They say we're all going to live years longer!
Well, if you stick to the true Mediterranean diet, cut the booze, give up smoking, maybe, but my experience was seeing a lot of obituaries for those in 60 plus age group!