Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I think my car is illeagal

I think my car is illeagal

Old Jun 26th 2014, 11:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think my car is illeagal

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
"Mythical" postal reminder.

I get mine a month ahead of the test date.

Attachment 118101
Lucky you - you certainly don't in Andalucia.

The documentation you quoted confirms that they check online whether you are insured. They also point out that if their computer breaks down, they might want to see that paperwork, but since you are no longer obliged to carry it, seems unlikely that they could insist on that.

You also have to remember that the ITV centres are only franchises and are different companies in each region which is why their interpretation of the rules and their decision to issue reminders can vary - as happens so often in Spain.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you have an appointment for an ITV, you can drive it directly there even if the current one has expired.
Are you sure about that Fred?
I was told (admittedly, man in a pub) that even with an appointment booked I could get stopped and fined by Traffico if my ITV had expired.
I hope you are correct because the cost of a grua has put me off getting our second car back on the road.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:13 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am pretty sure about that.

Anyway, the fine is less than the cost of a grua.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:24 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky you - you certainly don't in Andalucia.

The documentation you quoted confirms that they check online whether you are insured. They also point out that if their computer breaks down, they might want to see that paperwork, but since you are no longer obliged to carry it, seems unlikely that they could insist on that.

You also have to remember that the ITV centres are only franchises and are different companies in each region which is why their interpretation of the rules and their decision to issue reminders can vary - as happens so often in Spain.
so does that mean we no longer have to carry a 6inch folder full of all the documents relating to the vehicle for someone to steal with the car ??

but it is nice to see that Spain has now moved to linking up the elements of insurance, testing etc being cross checkable as we have had in a cold and wet country to the north for a few years now.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:26 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am pretty sure about that.

Anyway, the fine is less than the cost of a grua.
the BH's car ITV expired yesterday. The local main dealer has made arrangements for it to be re-ITV'd on the 7th.
as they will be driving it to the ITV station ...............

`
Old Jul 1st 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Domino
so does that mean we no longer have to carry a 6inch folder full of all the documents relating to the vehicle for someone to steal with the car ??
I cannot imagine why you would need a six inch folder for the basic documents that you need to carry which are your driving licence, residency paperwork, passport, Ficha Technica and the results of your last ITV and the permiso for the car.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:30 pm

I cannot imagine why you would need a six inch folder for the basic documents that you need to carry which are your driving licence, residency paperwork, passport, Ficha Technica and the results of your last ITV and the permiso for the car.
thank you for your kind response

`