Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hire car necessities

hire car necessities

Old Jul 1st 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default hire car necessities

Hi all. Finally got the 'Sold' sign outside the house, so soon be on our way to live near Benidorm area. End August hopefully
Just thinking about hiring a car for the first month and picking it up at Alicante airport.
With all the rules, regulations and laws about what should be carried in the car such as reflective waistcoats, warning triangles etc. are they usually supplied with the hire car? and will I be fined if stopped and not got said equipment?
I know a few of you regularly use hire cars so perhaps you can help.
Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hire car necessities

and there was me thinking that if I hired a car in Spain it would be fully legal.

although I do remember hiring a car a couple of years ago and it only had 1 hi-vis jacket when IIRC the law says there should be one available for each person in the car.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Go back a few years and rental cars never carried waistcoats or triangles ( Goldcar), when I queried this I was told it was because they constantly went missing!

However our last rental car was from Hertz about a year ago (own car now!) and it was fully equipped with four waistcoats and two triangles, so things may have gotten better.

Also a word here, Goldcar is the biggest supplier at Alicante airport but often gives the worst service! Our hertz was pre booked via Ryanair and was the same price as Goldcar who reckon they are the cheapest. The difference was quality of vehicle and desk service, the staff were really pleasant and best of all worlds- straight to the front of the desk while watching a snake of hot and bothered patrons in a queue for Goldcar which went all the way to the arrivals gate and then doubled back!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replies. I was thinking of using Centauro rentals as I can pick the car up at Alicante airport and drop it off at Benidorm (45 euro extra!)

So I will take reassurance from your replies and make a booking.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just booked a car with Goldcar, the price on the screen when i booked it was £129, when I paid the overcharged me by £4!!!

When I queried it they said the price on the screen was £133, It was the day after when they checked. I found a quote showing a price of £116 the day after I booked it, sent them a copy of the screen as they requested but up to now they will not admit to overcharging me and will not knock off the extra £4 they have charged.

Only £4 i know but they will be doing okay if they do that to 100 people a month wont they?

Needless to say I will not be booking with them again and would certainly NOT recommend them!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff b
Ive just booked a car with Goldcar, the price on the screen when i booked it was £129, when I paid the overcharged me by £4!!!
Welcome to Spain
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Welcome to Spain
Hey, that's not fair! Maybe, "welcome to Goldcar"?

I've rented from Hertz many times in Spain and never had any problem. The final charge is always what they say it's going to be.

- Eric S.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Ive had them from Centauro and sixt before a few times and had no probs.

First and last time with Goldcar, I will put it up on here if they do come back to me.

I wont be holding my breath waiting though!!