Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

Originally Posted by Lestatiger
according to information on the website http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/info...axes_in_spain/
that's a whole different ballgame - nothing to do with running a small business such as a bar

you would still have to pay IVA (VAT) & the autónomo (self employed NI) & income tax

also if you employed anyone you'd have to pay NI contributions for them
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

according to information on the website http://www.spainexpat.com/spain/info...axes_in_spain/
But what about the segment above that one? 120,000 being the figure above which you pay 25%.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they are wrong

Although if you are planning on just you and your partner running the bar, then you may be able to get away with just paying your social security payment (250 euros or so) as a partner is allowed to put some hours in without contributing, but only some. If they were found to be working serious hours then they should contribute also

And I believe social security of staff members is even higher, around 350 euros per month per staff member

Do you have your own bar in the UK? If not, why not? It wont be any easier in Spain
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
This site http://www.advoco.es/hot-topics/43-g...system.html#A7 which is obviously slightly out of date since Autonomo is quoted as 250€, I think it's now 260 or something, says that no-one earning more than about 641€ a month can avoid paying. And there are only minor offsets.
As to setting up a SA to get better tax benefits, that's a whole different ballgame. But I'm WAAY out of my depth here, I was just intrigued by the million reference.
minimum is just over 250€ still I believe

I pay considerably more cos I'm so old...........
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
minimum is just over 250€ still I believe

I pay considerably more cos I'm so old...........
Given that the OP is 53, they probably would have to as well

Running a bar from 7am til 12pm 6 days a week is the last thing I'd want to do at his age
Old Jul 15th 2012, 5:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Given that the OP is 53, they probably would have to as well

Running a bar from 7am til 12pm 6 days a week is the last thing I'd want to do at his age
he's a little older than me so he'd be paying about what I do then - a bit over 270€ a month

there's no way I'd want to do it either

I did run bars restaurants & hotels in my 20's in the UK - at least then you had to close at closing time

I can't think of anything worse here - you open early to get the pre work coffees - the day you open late you'll lose them to the bar up the road

and you don't go home until the last customer is ready to leave - & that easliy could be 18 hours later

and working in the incredible heat of the summer isn't to be taken lightly either - but you have to, cos if you're in a tourist spot, what you take in those 10 weeks or so might have to carry you through the other 42

Last edited by lynnxa; Jul 15th 2012 at 5:57 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

AAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't profess to know everything and am totally willing to listen to anything - THATS WHY I AM ASKING FOR ADVICE
I fully understand that if people don't have the money to spend it makes no odds!!
These are not things I am seeking advice on, I am seeking advice on things peculiar to Spain eg legal things, taxes, visa's etc.
But advice is what you are being given as for being hostile more the other way around. Why on earth would you want to know about visas? Because someone had mentioned it before but not for anyone that is British.

What you are failing to realise is that people are trying to help.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:42 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm normally one of the more positive posters here, but I'll give a couple of examples that show why I agree with the down beat advice above (assuming the OP is dead set on a coastal resort bar).

The Spanish chain that runs 100 Montaditos (that continues to expand) is opening up 80 new bars in 2012 under the brand name La Sureña - link below is an article on that, in Spanish. So, I can hear you thinking, there are opportunities in the Spanish market. Think of it like a Spanish version of Wetherspoons if you like. One of their offers is 5 beers in a bucket for 3 Euros. Now they can do that by buying cheaply in bulk and situating their establishments in city areas where they can remain busy all year round. Even then, it has to be a tightly-run ship, and marketing and good staff are only a small part of the challenge. I don't think you will be in a position to go for the cheaper end of the market, and still make money.

http://www.europapress.es/sociedad/c...625134037.html

Posters here will groan, as I've mentioned them before, but Irish pubs in Madrid have carved a niche for themselves by catering to both the expat community (and weekend holidaymakers on a Ryan-Easyjet weekend) and to the Spanish community. But remember that they also can stay busy most of the year, with the possible exception of August. You won't have that option in a coastal resort.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/glob...-in-madrid/810

It is Madrid’s nearly 50 Irish bars that are leading the reinvention of the Spanish hospitality industry, in order to attract a more steady and diverse customer base. They fill their bars night after night by offering flexible entertainment, international sports, live music with no cover charges, diverse menus, and, of course, a wider selection of beer.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

so are you saying that there are no chef jobs at all in spain and everyone who buys a bar loses all their money?
Did you actually want advice, or just reassurance?
Old Jul 15th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bar/BBQ, it was great and popular too

June was busy, July got even busier, August was crazy.

By the end of September I was grateful I had rented the place on a fairly informal basis and I could hand the keys back with fairly small losses compared to other ex bar owners I know

On a more positive note I'd advise living on the CDS to anyone... great weather, bring an income stream with you and enjoy it
Old Jul 15th 2012, 9:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I was seeking advice from people who have experience - why is everyone on here so damned hostile?????????

Surely if I knew it all I wouldn't be seeking advice - as for asking about visa's I asked because someone mentioned it in an earlier post - as did someone else mention that as an autonomo I would have to pay 500 euros a month iae - they didn't mention that you don't have to pay any iae if your business turns over less than 1 million euro's!!!!!
This forum should be renamed 'angry negative british expats', and you wonder why foreigners have a negative opinion of the British!!!
registering as an autonomo will require you to pay €250 a month which covers health care, and has nothing to do with iea, otherwise you will have to pay for private health care, also be aware that there is NO benefit system in Spain like the UK, so there is no safety net if you do have problems. We lived in Spain 7 years ago, when there was still a lot of Brits moving out, and the housing industry was still booming, but even then the local bars were openign and closing very regularly, and 5 years ago one local bar changed hands 3 times in 6 months, each new owner sure they would turn it round, the most people we saw in there at any one time was 4, another one was just keeping it´s head above water, but they were having to open all hours god sends in summer to make up for the lack of customers from September to April. just before we left Spain ( and we were NOT needing to work but were pensioners) then some parts of the local towns were just looking like ghost towns with the number of closed premises, we actually went to one restaurant the week before it was closing because it had a great reputation for it´s food, but it was just to much hard work to make any profit as they couldn´t afford to take on staff as they would have had to put their prices up which would have defeated the object.
A friend was offered a job in a bar, and lasted one night, she had been offered €5, but didn't realise this was for the whole evening, not an hour.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Is that right?
No.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some of the bars in the nearest village to me have just REDUCED their prices. 70c for a caña, or 5 small bottles in an ice-bucket for €3.

I don't know how they survive, but most of them own their premises outright, they have been in the family for years, so no rent to pay. They are staffed by family members and friends and I don't suppose they even get paid, let alone get their SS paid. Very different from the bars on the costas.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

I don't know how they survive, but most of them own their premises outright, they have been in the family for years, so no rent to pay. They are staffed by family members and friends and I don't suppose they even get paid, let alone get their SS paid. Very different from the bars on the costas.
That's true. Some on the coast have such ridiculous rents and other overheads that the figures don't stack up even if they are busy. People can only drink so much alcohol
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:14 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Some of the bars in the nearest village to me have just REDUCED their prices. 70c for a caña, or 5 small bottles in an ice-bucket for €3.

most around here charge €1.40/€1.50 for tubo with tapa.
considering the quality of the tapa it is hard to see how they break even, letalone make a profit
this lunchtime of the 10 in the bar when i was there no one had more than 3 tubo/cana but 10 x 3 x €1.50 = €45 and that was in the period 2.15 - 3.00. as he was open for breakfast at 8.30 when I was walking the dog (but didnt drop in) he probably has taken a minimum of €200 so far, even allowing €1.00 for a cafe con leche or few. I have no idea how busy he is in the evening session.
Is that enough to make a living for 2 people ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.