Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I need some personal advice

I need some personal advice

Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default I need some personal advice

First of all hi to all, I feel as I know some of you with the frank conversations going on on some of the threads.

I need your advice as most of you either aspire to or are living in Spain.

I am 40 years old, my wife is 33. I have worked like an idiot for over twenty years and saved heavily investing in property which with the current boom has given me a self made pension fund of a million and an income per month of around 3000 to 3200 (pounds) .My outgoings both in Spain and Uk are minimal I also work as a bathroom fitter each day, a hard job which is now impacting on my body.

I like a lot of you am totally sick of the UK, the weather, money obsessed lifestyle, bills bills and more bills. I am getting myself very depressed with it all.

The first time i visited Spain i realised the charm of the place was overwhelming and all consuming, it is the only place I truly relax.

I have always worked hard but now live for my breaks to Spain. We have no kids by choice (may seem strange).

My wife has a potential offer of continuing her current role working from our apartment in Los Pacos (fuengirola) giving her a UK salary and maintaining her foot on the corporate ladder (as she says and I agree that she is too young to do nothing)

The questions are:-
1) Would you retire at my age? on the money I have

2) Do you think I would get totally bored and hate the new life after a while?

3) When YOU retired early was it still paradise or another drudge?

These are genuine questions from someone who has awoken with a hangover after drinking myself into oblivion because I feel i cannot cope with the pressures of uk life.

Regards and thanks

Los pacos hombre
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:38 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some personal advice

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
First of all hi to all, I feel as I know some of you with the frank conversations going on on some of the threads.

I am 40 years old, my wife is 33. I have worked like an idiot for over twenty years and saved heavily investing in property which with the current boom has given me a self made pension fund of a million and an income per month of around 3000 to 3200 (pounds) .My outgoings both in Spain and Uk are minimal I also work as a bathroom fitter each day, a hard job which is now impacting on my body.

I like a lot of you am totally sick of the UK, the weather, money obsessed lifestyle, bills bills and more bills. I am getting myself very depressed with it all.

The first time i visited Spain i realised the charm of the place was overwhelming and all consuming, it is the only place I truly relax.

I have always worked hard but now live for my breaks to Spain. We have no kids by choice (may seem strange).

My wife has a potential offer of continuing her current role working from our apartment in Los Pacos (fuengirola) giving her a UK salary and maintaining her foot on the corporate ladder (as she says and I agree that she is too young to do nothing)

These are genuine questions from someone who has awoken with a hangover after drinking myself into oblivion because I feel i cannot cope with the pressures of uk life.

Regards and thanks

Los pacos hombre
Hi LPH and first of all welcome to BE.
I cant answer some of your questions, as I am not at retirement age, but I can answer some, at least I hope.

You will only get bored if you let yourself get bored, if you go out there and switch off then you will probably die a death of dullness, but if you get yourself busy with something, a hobby, a new job, or anything then you will probably find that you lose all track of time.
Would you want to completely retire out there? Why couldn't you do a little bit of work? Try and find a happy balance between the two, that way you will alleviate the former point.
If I felt that I could afford moving to Spain then I personally would, and by what you are saying regarding your money I suspect that you are in a better financial position than some on here.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Re retiring early. My husband in a way had it forced on him because the company took his particular work to India and although he could have stayed on he would have been doing a much more boring job. So he decided to take early retirement and do up our house in Spain, which we had bought expecting to retire in 2010 when he would be 65. I therefore gave up work in May 2006 in order for us to move over here permanently, under normal circumstances I could have either retired in Dec 2007 or continued to 2012 or midway to coincide with my OH.

As he is doing a bit of a reform on the house he is finding that this is a happy medium between working full time and retirement and looks forward to when the house is completed and he can enjoy his hobbies.

I on the other hand have 3/4 decorated many of the rooms but am waiting and waiting for trades people in order to continue. It is difficult to settle to my many hobbies with the reform going on and I became extremely bored and very low due to waiting for other people. I loved my job even though it was stressful and I was not mentally ready to give it up. So I really miss the job satisfaction and the challenges that I had in my working life and this has impacted on he here in Spain.

However apart from the family neither of us miss living in UK.

I have heard of people of your age who moved here thinking that they would not have to work etc and although financially they did not need to work they found that they could not endure the life without a working structure so they have found jobs purely to alleviate the boredom.

Everyone is different, some find it easy to relax and literally do nothing and others need the structure that a working life provides whilst other (like me) need the satisfaction of doing something useful.

I know that we are in a totally different age bracket to you and your OH but I thought that you may benefit from our experiences.

Rosemary
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

pwblackbelt is on a distinguished road

Regards and thanks

Los pacos hombre

"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero"
OR
"Sieze the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow"

If I was in your position I would be buying the flights tickets NOW!!
You are in a far better position then we are and we are going for it. I also invested in property which became a terrible Albatros burdened around my neck resulting in bankruptcy.
I just have to tie up a couple of loose ends and we are moving to Spain (hopefully before July) with no income, no pension and no real assetts. I am only 44 and my wife is only 35.
Since the s*@t hit the fan so to speak I thought why live in it here when you can live in it but in the sunshine??????
If I were you I would be jumping for joy at the prospect of having that kind of income and the option of spending it in Spain.
Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean no ofence at all, But I wish I had your problems instead of mine!!!
As for retiring maybe just do a little bit of work to keep your hand in so boredom will not be a problem.
But I am telling you now I would be off and to hell with the consequences, life is not a rehearsal, you only get 1 go at it my friend.
Carpe Diem.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:05 am
aspeangel

If i had your income I wouldn't hesitate, life is too short to feel depressed about your situation in the UK, esp when you seem to be able to fund your move here easily!
I have been living here for 3 years now (I am 33, my husband is 40 and we have a 5 year old son) and it can be boring if you don't do something with your time and we have meet a lot of couples where the pressure of each others company 24/7 has been too much for them, others that are now teetotal as they became heavily reliant on alcohol as a way of passing the time of day! But it seems that you have a sensible outlook and a substantial income and a trade if you decide sitting in the sun all day isn't enough for you! don't delay - GO FOR IT!!

Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:31 am
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

Hi, interesting post and sounds all too familiar :curse:

You honestly sound like you need a good 12 months out of the game. My story is very much like yours only I still work but not as much.

It seems you're financially secure so I would semi retire

You don't actually have to retire and never work again, you could still do part time bits here and there to keep you busy, there's plenty of demand for skilled tradesmen. I know an excellent bathroom fitter who's booked up for many months in advance. If you do retire fully then you will need to have lots of interests to keep you busy. Can you play golf?

It sounds like you're totally bored and hate your current life. Only you can make the steps to change it. What do you have to lose?

One problem though could be your relationship. You both want to have to do it 100% or it will put a big strain on you both. You say your wife is 33, will she be happy working from home day in day out. After the novelty wears off she will start to miss her friends, her work colleagues, the office banter, nights out etc etc

I work from home and went through all these feelings in the first 18 months but now it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

There are so many pro's and cons to weigh up but at the end of the day only you know whats best and in the worst case scenario you could always go back if things didn't work out.

For me personally it was the best thing I ever did. I find myself going back to the UK less and less and even when I do I'm ready to come home after 3 or 4 days, it's such a depressing place.

I love Spain and wouldn't swap it for anything else
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered voluntary work. There are many organisations in Spain crying out for volunteers and this would you give a sense of responsibility and structure to the week.

Unpaid work can be very satisfying as long as you choose something that you will enjoy with hours to suit.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

A different view from me - I'm not normal(?)

To recap:- You have a portfolio of £1m, an income from this of £3k, your wife is to keep on working and could do this from Spain or the UK, and if I read this right you have a property in Spain already?
Firstly I think you're concentrating on the wrong decision the real decision IMO is "should I stop working"

But that withstanding, here's my plan for you, as you make no mention of kids and their ages, I'm assuming you are unincumbered:-

Down size in the UK.
Jack in work/go into semi-retirement working mainly in the Summer.
Split your time as and when you feel fit between the UK and Spain, but IMO spend the dreary winter in Spain.
This way all you're really doing is living the life you've worked to provide.
If as time goes on you find you're living more and more in one place over the other, well thats fine it evolved that way, and is therefore the best for you.
You're in a position where you don't need to make the decision just let it make itself? and therefore the stress of "emigrating" is removed as are the doubts of making the decision.

If you have kids personally I would not entertain the idea of moving to Spain at all until they have left college, but by tailoring your work/life balance this would still give a minimum of 3 months a year in the sun.

Good luck in your choice, but don't make it harder than you need to.

PS
You smug bastard
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
A different view from me - I'm not normal(?)

If you have kids personally I would not entertain the idea of moving to Spain at all until they have left college, but by tailoring your work/life balance this would still give a minimum of 3 months a year in the sun.

Good luck in your choice, but don't make it harder than you need to.

PS
You smug bastard
He actually said "We have no kids by choice (may seem strange)."

The only thing to worry about retiring is getting bored. It sounds great to sit on a balcony watching the day go by,and the sun go down, supping the red vino but most people could well get bored stiff soon talking to no-one but themselves. I retired very early 3 years ago because I could afford it and keep myself occupied through community activity amongst other things. The thing I miss most about work is the camaraderie among work colleagues and the mental stimulation of the job itself. To some extent I have filled that gap through the community stuff I do and I am looking to do more in that direction. My wife still works- and the prospect of us under each others feet all day long in a few years time doesn't bear thinking about!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what lengthy and interesting replies, Thanks to you all, they are all helpful and I needed the reality check as i felt so low this morning.

Leighbloke

Thanks for taking the time out to answer. Yes I do already own a property in spain Los Pacos to be exact.

I do not think I would move with kids, but I do not have kids so the problem does not exist.

Your idea of spending time in each country is one I have considered, but I get drawn into the Rat race here, I cannot adjust without removing myself from the whole British system which simply does my head in.

I am sorry If I sound smug but i needed to be honest to get honest replies and this seems to have worked.

Montgomail

I have considered voluntary work, most definitely it is an option, and that way I get to meet more people and make more friends whilst making a difference. Thank you for your reply.

Rocky Balboa

thanks for your reply. Firstly I do not play golf, But I would join a pool team (more my game). I never thought about my wife and her work colleagues etc. This is a point I will make to her later when we talk about moving. I am glad it has worked for you out there as I am under no illusions that it works for everyone. One of my principle loves of Spain is the fact that money does not matter that much and family and friends are more important, this i feel is sadly lacking in my current life in UK.

aspeangel

Thankyou for your kind words, I am a glass half empty person and sometimes you do not realise how lucky you are until a third party points it out many thanks for putting it down in words for me

Pwblackbelt

I have taken your reply printed it off and stuck it on my fridge door. I am sorry it did not work for you in property, it is not as easy as the tv programmes make out. But good luck in Spain. I like talking to ex pats who make it work out there when I am there.

Rosemary

Thanyou for your reply too, It was a very interesting read and I am glad forum members can and will post snippets of their life to illustrate their life choices. I have considered buying a property out there to renovate to give me a hobby job.

Rugbymatt (thumbs up to you but I used too many)

thanks and sound advice again, I think I would have to something after i had read loads of books and topped up my tan. i have thought of just doing odd jobs for people for beer money, just to get me out of the house, meet people and do it cheap enough not to be a typical brit rip off tradesman.(as some have a rep for on the Costas)

Thanks to all is has made interesting reading for me and I will show my wife. It is good to have such a rich source of sensible opinions.

Thanks
Los Pacos Hombre (if I meet any of you out there I will share a bottle of Ponche caballero with you)
Old Apr 29th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

.........................I am sorry If I sound smug but i needed to be honest to get honest replies and this seems to have worked............................................ ......
No need to apologise, you didn't come over as smug at all - it was purely meant as a joke at your financial "predicament". I'll have to keep working on my humour!

Obviously I didn't read your post throughly enough re: the child front - seems I have some reading lessons to catch up on also!

Good luck in your decision making and hope it turns out In the meantime - how are you fixed for fitting a bit of limestone in my kitchen?
LB
Old Apr 29th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

pwblackbelt is on a distinguished road

Wow, what lengthy and interesting replies, Thanks to you all, they are all helpful and I needed the reality check as i felt so low this morning.

Leighbloke

Thanks for taking the time out to answer. Yes I do already own a property in spain Los Pacos to be exact.

I do not think I would move with kids, but I do not have kids so the problem does not exist.

Your idea of spending time in each country is one I have considered, but I get drawn into the Rat race here, I cannot adjust without removing myself from the whole British system which simply does my head in.

I am sorry If I sound smug but i needed to be honest to get honest replies and this seems to have worked.

Montgomail

I have considered voluntary work, most definitely it is an option, and that way I get to meet more people and make more friends whilst making a difference. Thank you for your reply.

Rocky Balboa

thanks for your reply. Firstly I do not play golf, But I would join a pool team (more my game). I never thought about my wife and her work colleagues etc. This is a point I will make to her later when we talk about moving. I am glad it has worked for you out there as I am under no illusions that it works for everyone. One of my principle loves of Spain is the fact that money does not matter that much and family and friends are more important, this i feel is sadly lacking in my current life in UK.

aspeangel

Thankyou for your kind words, I am a glass half empty person and sometimes you do not realise how lucky you are until a third party points it out many thanks for putting it down in words for me

Pwblackbelt

I have taken your reply printed it off and stuck it on my fridge door. I am sorry it did not work for you in property, it is not as easy as the tv programmes make out. But good luck in Spain. I like talking to ex pats who make it work out there when I am there.

Rosemary

Thanyou for your reply too, It was a very interesting read and I am glad forum members can and will post snippets of their life to illustrate their life choices. I have considered buying a property out there to renovate to give me a hobby job.

Rugbymatt (thumbs up to you but I used too many)

thanks and sound advice again, I think I would have to something after i had read loads of books and topped up my tan. i have thought of just doing odd jobs for people for beer money, just to get me out of the house, meet people and do it cheap enough not to be a typical brit rip off tradesman.(as some have a rep for on the Costas)

Thanks to all is has made interesting reading for me and I will show my wife. It is good to have such a rich source of sensible opinions.

Thanks
Los Pacos Hombre (if I meet any of you out there I will share a bottle of Ponche caballero with you)
I know what will take up some of your time when you retire to Spain. Take up kickboxing classes at my new school which I intend to open when we get there.
Keep fit, clear your mind and take up some time LOL.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 4:32 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Hola Los pacos hombre,
Reading those replies I think most things have been said and judging from reading your post you are very astute. So I think there has been a lot of sound advise given, you will take it all onboard and as with anything the decision has to be what feels right for you . The idea of doing it gradually until realising you have done it sounds very good to me, it is something you both need to be 100% about. Good luck, hope you make a decision that works for you.
Luv Eve
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Have you considered voluntary work. There are many organisations in Spain crying out for volunteers and this would you give a sense of responsibility and structure to the week.

Unpaid work can be very satisfying as long as you choose something that you will enjoy with hours to suit.
Where? Any contacts?
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:14 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail

Work for nothing

Dont like the sound of that one

Lospacoshombre

Think you sound similar to me ..

Worry over the boredom side ?
I have had that very same worry , but i have now decided will stick some money into a new business venture out there Even if it doesnt make money it will be a interest to fill the boredom gaps .. I figure this business will keep the brain cells active for me and so long as it doesnt take to much time up and it DOESNT !! Lose money ... No harm will be done

So in answering your predicament go for it now , you have the money and good health so enjoy it , dont wait like most do ! until your to old to enjoy the money you made ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.