I need some help and advice please

I need some help and advice please

Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Aquasarah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need some help and advice please

Hi all

Where do i start!

Have just found this site as me and my partner and 2 children and dog are on the move over to Gran Canaria.

I need to find information regarding schools for my eldest and shipping items and the dog.

My partner already has a job out there and is leaving this weekend I plan to follow in November once i have sorted things this end.

I have so many questions and need some answers.

Has enyone any good solutions to help me on my way i really dont know where to start.

Sarah
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need some help and advice please

Welcome to the forum
Cant help you with your query I'm afraid as I live on the mainland but hopefully someone will be along soon
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome.

A lot of dog issues are the same as cats, so you might like to read this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552437

If you google topics like DEFRA or pet passport you’ll find all sorts of information.

Good luck!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

jon-mel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi im also quite new to the site but me my partner, 2 kids and dog are moving to gran canaria soon, i do know that easiest way to get the dog over is to fly them. If the dog is classed as dangerous then you also have to register it when you get there oh and they also need passports which are issued by the vet so give them a call and the vet will sort everything out for you!!!!! As for schools you should have a look at the free beer thread at top of page it has really useful info and links.

Thats about all i can tell you but i got most of my info from google, hope i helped a little and if there is anything else you want to ask feel free....

Mel
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

I was wondering where it is you will be living if you dont mind me asking? When i read your first thread it sounded just like me
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mel

You do seem to be in a very simular position as us. When are you going out and where?

What age are your children?

My partners job is in Puerto rico so will be looking for appartment close by.

I am struggling looking into schooling for my daughter have read some comments saying it would be best for her to go to spanish school but i was under the impression it would be best for her to go to an english school.

Does anyone have any experiences with this issue and any idea of schools around Puerto Rico?

Sarah
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Wow thats very uncanny we are actually going to peurto rico and were aiming for Nov, my son is 8 and my daughter is 6. I looked into schools and found that the spanish state school would be better.

I havnt managed to find any schools on the internet yet but me and my partner are flying out there on monday for a week to have a look so ill look into both spanish and english schools and update you when i get back

Mel
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

wow thats great!

so what information have you found out about your dog so far i am waiting for a lady to call me back about pet relocation.

I am also in the process at looking into shipping items out have called a couple of companies but have to email them my details and they will give us a quote.

Sarah
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

well we were recommended kjm shipping, i think you can google them.

What kind of dog is it?

I do know that they need to have rabbies vaccination and have a microchip fitted and then providing the blood test comes back ok for rabbies then you will be issued a pet passport, a day or so before you move you need to have a health certificate issued for the dog!

How old are your children?

Mel
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

We have a yellow Labrador and she is 5 years

My eldest Lydia is 10 and my youngest Daniel is the baby he is 16months.

That would be great if you could pass the information onto re the schools my partner is going out this Saturday but starts work the sunday so will be investigating schools apparments in spare time but will need to settle into his job first.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Well the good news is she is not classed as a dangerous dog so you wont have to register her with the spanish authorities. If you go to doghealth.co.uk then you can find the container size for the dog to fly in.

I went to the local travel agent and they gave me a list of what airlines take pets so that was useful, also another shipping place is FREIGHTWOOD and also ANGLO SHIPPING, if you google them you should get a number and things to contact them.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquasarah
We have a yellow Labrador and she is 5 years

My eldest Lydia is 10 and my youngest Daniel is the baby he is 16months.

That would be great if you could pass the information onto re the schools my partner is going out this Saturday but starts work the sunday so will be investigating schools apparments in spare time but will need to settle into his job first.
at ten your daughter should be ok in spanish school - she is still young enough to 'absorb' the language fairly quickly - I know quite a lot of kids who have come over at that age and succeeded

it does somewhat depend upon you & your child - and expect tears & tantrums for a while, too
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

I hope you had time to read the other thread. For example, you only need the dog’s blood test for entry into the UK.

One useful point is to shop around local vets for prices for what you need. We ended up paying £100 per cat for exactly what we needed. The highest quote was nearly £400 per animal.

If you think you’ll return with the dog, you can get the rabies injection (which has to be renewed at intervals anyway) and then the subsequent blood test done in Gran Canaria.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: I need some help and advice please

Thank you

Seem to be finding more and more information regarding dog out since joining this site. Thanks everyone!

Just need some help on best companies to contact re shipping items out and cant seem to find any school info and have visited site suggested on free beer. just wanted to look to find local schools around Puerto Rico Gran canaria spanish or english.