Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I am doing a project

I am doing a project

Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

roxy94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in the Costa Brava

Do you think that if someone from the UK came to live in the Costa Brava knowing the language would be able to get by?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Default I am doing a project

I am doing a project comparing the cost of living in the UK with the cost of living in Spain (Costa Brava). I will be writing about the differences in the cost of living but any ideas on what other topic I could write about in this project?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:42 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the Costa Brava

Originally Posted by roxy94
Do you think that if someone from the UK came to live in the Costa Brava knowing the language would be able to get by?
Hi roxy94,

Welcome to BE.

I would imagine that learning the language of the country one was going to live would be important in order to find employment and to integrate and interact with others. Whether one can get by without knowing Spanish I don't know, as I live in the US. So I am going to move this thread to the Spanish forum for you. Maybe some of our other members can share some first hand experience of this.

Sue
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am doing a project

I am doing a project comparing the cost of living in the UK with the cost of living in Spain (Costa Brava). I will be writing about the differences in the cost of living but any ideas on what other topic I could write about in this project?
What's the project for? School/work?

Just a heads up. The Welcome Inn is for introductions, so I'm moving this thread to the Spain forum. You might want to pop on over there
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:54 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

well at the start they would be like a lot of the tourists, but then they would start to learn, in fact they would have to as they would have to deal with officialdom, they could use someone to do a lot of that for them, but just being there and surrounded by the language you would learn enough words to start with, you would have to learn the grammar to an extent, but once you had the basics, then being immersed in the language you would pick it up.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it would be nice to know who you are and what the project is for.

There have been loads of threads (arguments lol)on the subject.
Depends totally on your lifestyle, bread and dripping is a universal price.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

I am a college student. I was told to do a project of anything for the end of next year so I thought I would base my project on the cost of living as I myself am english and has lived in Spain for 10 years.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcom to the forum.
I am not sure whether what I shall say is relevant but a third language comes into play on the Costa Brava and that is Catalan.
I am sure that someone from the area will be able to give you better information than I can.
Best of luck.

Graham
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I am a college student. I was told to do a project of anything for the end of next year so I thought I would base my project on the cost of living as I myself am english and has lived in Spain for 10 years.
Would it help if you created a list of taxes, gas, electric etc. Also perhaps the equivalent to the Engish "basket of goods" used by supermarkets etc.

Graham
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you have been here for ten years then surely you know the cost of living in Spain, you really need to ask a UK site about the cost of living in the UK and then compare them ?
There are a few posters on here that do live in the UK again now, so they may be able to help.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
If you have been here for ten years then surely you know the cost of living in Spain, you really need to ask a UK site about the cost of living in the UK and then compare them ?
There are a few posters on here that do live in the UK again now, so they may be able to help.
Good point jdr, could the poster not team up with a student doing a similar project in GB it would save a lot of work.

Graham
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Roxy girl.....I've lived and worked here on the Costa Brava for nearly 30 yrs now....NEVER, in all my travels have I met a more racist tribe of inverted, blinkered and arrogant people......I'd try anywhere outside of the EU....It's much the same all over apart from the weather!

Be safe girl

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 27th 2011 at 5:49 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:48 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Beast
Hey Roxy girl.....I've lived and worked here on the Costa Brava for nearly 30 yrs now....NEVER, in all my travels have I met a more racist tribe of inverted, blinkered and arrogant people......I'd try anywhere outside of the EU....It's much the same all over apart from the weather!

Be safe girl
So, why are you still living there if it is as bad as you say..
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So, why are you still living there if it is as bad as you say..
What on Earth has it got to do with you??

Safe!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by The Beast
What on Earth has it got to do with you??

Safe!
Post on here, anyone can answer..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.