Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How/when to get a 3-month furnished rental

How/when to get a 3-month furnished rental

Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

jane11e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How/when to get a 3-month furnished rental

We're looking to move to Valencia for 3 months this coming summer 2011, and would like to rent a furnished flat in the center of the city. I've been looking at enalquiler.com, idealista.com, yaencontre.com, Craigs List, etc. and seeing prices around 800 to 1200 Euros/month (3BR, 2BA). This seems like a lot cheaper option than holiday/vacation rentals.

My questions are:

1. In Valencia, with the real estate market what it is, when is the earliest people will typically rent for May or June start date? We'd of course like to lock in a rental agreement sooner than later, but understand landlords probably want to wait to see if they can get a longer-term renter before they commit their place for 3 months in summer.

2. In Valencia, with the real estate market what it is, ARE people willing to sign a lease for only 3 months?

Thanks so much for any insight you can offer!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How/when to get a 3-month furnished rental

Originally Posted by jane11e
We're looking to move to Valencia for 3 months this coming summer 2011, and would like to rent a furnished flat in the center of the city. I've been looking at enalquiler.com, idealista.com, yaencontre.com, Craigs List, etc. and seeing prices around 800 to 1200 Euros/month (3BR, 2BA). This seems like a lot cheaper option than holiday/vacation rentals.

My questions are:

1. In Valencia, with the real estate market what it is, when is the earliest people will typically rent for May or June start date? We'd of course like to lock in a rental agreement sooner than later, but understand landlords probably want to wait to see if they can get a longer-term renter before they commit their place for 3 months in summer.

2. In Valencia, with the real estate market what it is, ARE people willing to sign a lease for only 3 months?

Thanks so much for any insight you can offer!
hi & welcome

you don't say if you mean actually in Valencia city itself, or in the Valencia region

I live in the region, in a 'resort' town

if that's the kind of area you are thinking of, you could try securing a rental now, but your instinct is right about the 3 months

yes, a 3 month rental is possible, but for the months you want them for you will very likely be expected to pay holiday let rates

off-season you could get a place for the 800-1200 a month you mentioned - even for a short 3 month let

but in those summer months they will be looking for more like that figure per week!

last time I was house hunting I found a place which suited us - I was looking for a long term/permanent let

we were wanting to move in May/June & had just about agreed a deal & contracts were being prepared when I had a call from the owner

he had decided that if we wanted to move in before July/August we would have to either move out for the summer period, or pay 'holidaymaker rates' for that period & he'd knock the difference of spread over the rest of the year!

he lost the deal - & a friend of mine who lives in the same street tells me it was actually empty all summer!! - so he lost out twice!

of course - the opposite could be the case if you want to be IN the city - a lot of people move OUT of the city for the summer - so a deal might be possible for those months
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
hi & welcome

you don't say if you mean actually in Valencia city itself, or in the Valencia region

I live in the region, in a 'resort' town

if that's the kind of area you are thinking of, you could try securing a rental now, but your instinct is right about the 3 months

yes, a 3 month rental is possible, but for the months you want them for you will very likely be expected to pay holiday let rates

off-season you could get a place for the 800-1200 a month you mentioned - even for a short 3 month let

but in those summer months they will be looking for more like that figure per week!

last time I was house hunting I found a place which suited us - I was looking for a long term/permanent let

we were wanting to move in May/June & had just about agreed a deal & contracts were being prepared when I had a call from the owner

he had decided that if we wanted to move in before July/August we would have to either move out for the summer period, or pay 'holidaymaker rates' for that period & he'd knock the difference of spread over the rest of the year!

he lost the deal - & a friend of mine who lives in the same street tells me it was actually empty all summer!! - so he lost out twice!

of course - the opposite could be the case if you want to be IN the city - a lot of people move OUT of the city for the summer - so a deal might be possible for those months
Thanks so much for the info! Sorry I forgot to specify -- crazy as it may sound to those who leave the city for the summer, we actually (think we) want to live right in the heart of it -- al casco viejo, quizas por Canovas o algo asi.

If it works out and we make friends, immerse ourselves, hang out in the air conditioning, pools and sea to keep cool, we'd stay right in the city center June, July and August. So your post sounds pretty encouraging from that perspective.

If we find ourselves withering in the heat, or if all the great Spanish friends we make leave in August for the coastal towns, maybe that's what we'd want to do too. Worst case, if we got one of those great rental rates for in the city for the 3 months, we could still afford to vacation at the beach towns at some point during our stay.

Which brings me to another question: Which beach towns have more local, Spanish tourists, and not so many English/German speakers?

Again, thanks so much for this info!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:15 am
Just Joined

New question: We think we found a Spanish family in Valencia who want to exchange houses with us for the summer. However, they do not own their piso -- they are renting it. Does anyone know anything about the subletting rules in Valencia/Spain? Thanks!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:07 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

New question: We think we found a Spanish family in Valencia who want to exchange houses with us for the summer. However, they do not own their piso -- they are renting it. Does anyone know anything about the subletting rules in Valencia/Spain? Thanks!
hi

I'm not sure about the legal aspect, but you should as a first step check the rental contract of the people who want to exchange with you - and maybe seek permission from the owner of their place
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:10 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Most contracts don`t allow sub letting, but if you are not paying rent i can`t see the problem as long as you contact the owner for permission.

PS, what is the position on squatters rights in the states.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
Most contracts don`t allow sub letting, but if you are not paying rent i can`t see the problem as long as you contact the owner for permission.

PS, what is the position on squatters rights in the states.
that aspect had occurred to me too

feliz año amigomío