Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How self sufficient can you be in Northern Spain?

How self sufficient can you be in Northern Spain?

Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:45 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How self sufficient can you be in Northern Spain?

Originally Posted by poolboy
what brilliant responses - I wish you all the best in your search. If successful I bet you could market accom & tuition re self sufficiency.

Please keep us informed of progress, all the best
Dont forget the BOOK they will be able to write.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:10 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moongazer
Hi,

Is anyone out there self sufficient in Northern Spain/ Galicia? And if so, I just wondered in terms of percentage how self sufficient you could be in fruit, vegetables and nuts each year? Assuming you have enough land etc.

I see quite a few people have mentioned they get free wood from local woods, which sounds great .

I also wondered what other living costs are like in a rural area in Northern Spain/ Galicia? I have read various posts about this subject (mainly in Southern Spain) and realise it does vary from area to area, so any examples for this area would be very helpful, as we are just trying to work out what we should be budgeting to live on .

Any info about any of the above gratefully received, including other ways you could be self sufficient, or perhaps are already...

Many thanks
Moongazer
But how self sufficient are you going?. Like how will you pay your taxes and fuel for the car or heating.
There are loads of Galicians living off the land but they also have modern conveniences like cars phone light etc. They also eat meat a lot, self grown as one would expect. So they have some sort of income, will you?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

moongazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again everyone for your replies, as Poolboy said they are brilliant and really helpful too.

I am sure I will be on the forum plenty whenever we do make the move so will definitely update you all.

As yet we have not bought a property, as we plan to rent first, but we will bear in mind that we may be able to rent land from neighbours which could be quite useful.

The idea of the self sufficiency courses and book made me chuckle as everyone in the UK seems to be in on that at the moment .

Thanks Casa Santo Estevo for highlighting the need for a regular income, we will be living off a small pension so do need to consider carefully when we make the move and make sure we have done our sums correctly, not to mention where the exchange rate is too!

Thanks again everyone, you have been really helpful.
Moongazer
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

Sorry another question:

Does anyone know if you can grow olives successfully (for oil) in Galicia?

Many thanks
Moongazer
Old Oct 5th 2010, 5:46 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moongazer
Hello,

Sorry another question:

Does anyone know if you can grow olives successfully (for oil) in Galicia?

Many thanks
Moongazer

Yes they do. Read this for some information. But the trees are more than one year old
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

That's really helpful to know Casa Santo Estevo, thanks. And thanks for the link too, interesting....