Reload this Page >

How important is learning Catalan in Catalonia or the Balearics

How important is learning Catalan in Catalonia or the Balearics

Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:35 am
COF
Banned

COF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How important is learning Catalan in Catalonia or the Balearics

Is learning Catalan essential for getting a job and being able to live normally and integrate, or will Spanish surfice?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How important is learning Catalan in Catalonia or the Balearics

It really depends exactly where you are and what kind of job you might be looking for.

My observation is that on the coast, especially in tourist areas, you could probably get away with castillian spanish but the further inland you go the more essential it is to learn catalan.

I have friends working in Girona and Banyoles who took the free catalan lessons provided nad believe they would not have got jobs otherwise. I don't work and live nearer the coast so I get by OK in castillian. However in some places when I have spoken castillian I have been corrected in catalan.

If you listen you can get a pretty good idea of places where catalan would be required, for example in our local Carrefour the staff happily speak either but in the Esclat which is a catalan supermarket its catalan or nothing.