Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to obtain a Multi currency card for a non UK Resident

How to obtain a Multi currency card for a non UK Resident

Old May 30th 2016, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

swinbc will become famous soon enough
Default How to obtain a Multi currency card for a non UK Resident

I am planning an extended holiday which will take me to several countries using different currencies.
I would like to use my UK Bank account and GBP as my base currency and have done my homework and found that the CaxtonFX Explorer multi currency card would suit my needs perfectly. However upon application I was told that as I am not UK resident I would not be eligible even though I hold a UK Bank account and UK debit and credit cards. I do not have a registered UK address and apparently they check so unable to use a relatives address.

I tried a few other companies including Moneycorp and hit the same brickwall.

The exchange rates and fees charged by Spanish Banks are extortionate and I do not want to take a large amount of cash with me on my travels!
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Any advice would be appreciated

Last edited by swinbc; May 30th 2016 at 4:34 pm.
Old May 31st 2016, 5:30 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to obtain a Multi currency card for a non UK Resident

Originally Posted by swinbc
I am planning an extended holiday which will take me to several countries using different currencies.
I would like to use my UK Bank account and GBP as my base currency and have done my homework and found that the CaxtonFX Explorer multi currency card would suit my needs perfectly. However upon application I was told that as I am not UK resident I would not be eligible even though I hold a UK Bank account and UK debit and credit cards. I do not have a registered UK address and apparently they check so unable to use a relatives address.

I tried a few other companies including Moneycorp and hit the same brickwall.

The exchange rates and fees charged by Spanish Banks are extortionate and I do not want to take a large amount of cash with me on my travels!
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Any advice would be appreciated
Surely you are joking about fees and exchange rates charged by Spanish (or European in general) banks...

...as compared to UK banks, amongst the world's most expensive for international transactions. For domestic banking, UK banks are cheap and efficient, but as soon as you switch countries and currencies, they become a extortionate. This full explains why the "foreign transfer" business is almost exclusively a UK enterprise.

Having said that, as you want to keep your base in sterling (although I'd caution that if a brexit occurs, sterling could lose 30% of its value), then you will need to sign in with a transfer service such as CantonFX, but they are almost exclusively UK based and so you will need UK residence.

What nationality and residence are you? You could just open a nonresident account in a European bank and use the visa debit card they give you. Rates aren't ideal, but are generally a hell of a lot better than what you'll get at a UK bank.

Failing that, there's always PayPal.

Last edited by amideislas; May 31st 2016 at 5:37 am.
Old May 31st 2016, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

What about a travel money / prepay debit card? I don't know what commision they charge but there are several options available in Spain. I have a UK based one and find it very useful - not just for travelling but as an emergency back-up if I lose my main bank card. (It's not multicurrency but when I applied for it I could choose a currency and you can have multiple cards for various currencies.)

Paypal also offer a prepay card in spain.

For me the commission is worth it for the convenience and peace of mind.

Last edited by rachelk; May 31st 2016 at 5:50 am.
Old May 31st 2016, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is that overall, it will be better to use your UK debit card to withdraw cash and to make purchases. Of course, you will incur charges, but I think you will find they will be no greater than with any other option.