Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

how much money do you need when moving to spain

how much money do you need when moving to spain

Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:00 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Re: how much money do you need when moving to spain

Originally Posted by scampicat
We find the cost of living much cheaper and can live on around a third of what we lived on in the UK (we didn't have a mortgage/rent there either).

Our 'council tax' is 90 euros a year instead of £90 a month.
True, but Estate Agents charge a fee of typically 5% in the South many go as far as 15%.

So on a typical sale of 200,000 thats a lot, would cover your council tax for decades.

Plus the govt takes a big amount as well.

You may not pay Car Tax, but in many parts of Spain alloy wheels arn`t an option as the roads are so bad they`ll break within days.

I`d rather pay road tax than have to face the Autovia through Valdepenas daily.

Last edited by lee8; Jan 4th 2008 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi Suzanne,

Sorry I've not replied before now but too many things have been going on. Our house will probably be available in March for long term rent as we're hopefully moving back to the UK sometime mid February, if not sooner.

It's a detached house in Jalon, 3 bedrooms, living room, big kitchen, bathroom, garage, fenced & gated and we are leaving behind our 2 mtr satellite dish as well. No pool though, I'm afraid. I can pm you with the details of the estate agent (who by the way is English) if you're interested. They didn't have a problem with our small dog, but you would have to ask.

As for other properties, a good place to look is here: http://www.thinkspain.com/long-term-rental/

That's where I found this one two years ago.

So that's our news folks, finally going back and I can't wait. 3½ years with no wage increases and a big blow out just before Christmas. Welcome to Sunny Spain and always remember never put all your eggs in one basket.....

Oh and before I forget, Happy New Year to Everyone whether you're coming, going or staying put
Hi Martha, I am sorry to hear your news but understand why..you can't stand still ,time is to precious.
I hope it all goes smoothly for you, I am sure you will find your way with your combined talents.
Please keep us updated with your progress, where in the UK do you think you will be ?

BB.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:23 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Hi Martha, I am sorry to hear your news but understand why..you can't stand still ,time is to precious.
I hope it all goes smoothly for you, I am sure you will find your way with your combined talents.
Please keep us updated with your progress, where in the UK do you think you will be ?

BB.
Hi BB and thank you!

Nice to see you on the forum again. Hope you had a great time whilst visiting your lovely soon-to-be permanent home and that you enjoyed the holidays.

We're looking at the Peak District, but nothing is set in stone. I may be offered a job in Sheffield, which would be nice as I found a beautiful cottage to rent in Bakewell.....WITH an open fireplace. But don't know, with the way MIL's health is going........! We will have to just wait and see. I will definitely keep in touch with the forum and everyone here.

Sending you warm wishes for a fabulous New Year

Martha

P.S. Apologies for the hijack
Old Jan 4th 2008, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi BB and thank you!

Nice to see you on the forum again. Hope you had a great time whilst visiting your lovely soon-to-be permanent home and that you enjoyed the holidays.

We're looking at the Peak District, but nothing is set in stone. I may be offered a job in Sheffield, which would be nice as I found a beautiful cottage to rent in Bakewell.....WITH an open fireplace. But don't know, with the way MIL's health is going........! We will have to just wait and see. I will definitely keep in touch with the forum and everyone here.

Sending you warm wishes for a fabulous New Year

P.S. Apologies for the hijack
Martha

Stunning area Martha..not quite as warm as where you are currently !! at least I will have somewhere to come for long weekends !!!
I really hope MIL health improves, it's always a worrying time.
Thanks for your warm wishes and back to you in bucketloads, best of luck.

I also apologise for the highjack but I am sure you understand, no more I kind of promise.