Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How much approx to ship my tool box to Benidorm area ?

How much approx to ship my tool box to Benidorm area ?

Old Nov 20th 2010, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Mechanic1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking How much approx to ship my tool box to Benidorm area ?

Hi there

How much approx - do u think it would cost me to ship my tool box which is 6ft high by 6ft wide with a depth of 2 feet.

Plus its gonna be full of tools ! so pretty heavy.

Might be cheaper for me to drive down myself from uk in my trailer do u think ?

Mucho Gracias

Christian
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much approx to ship my tool box to Benidorm area ?

Originally Posted by Mechanic1974
Hi there

How much approx - do u think it would cost me to ship my tool box which is 6ft high by 6ft wide with a depth of 2 feet.

Mucho Gracias

Christian
You're going to have a problem Christian. If it's as heavy as you say it is then you will need loading and offloading facilities to get it on and off a large truck.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:18 pm
Costa Blanca lover

BlueChip is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Mucho Gracias

Christian
There are quite a few people who drive trucks back and forth every few weeks and if they have room they will take extra stuff for little money.
Have a look in the Costa Blanca news on line, they often advertise there.
I found an antique dealer in Jalon who has carried some boating stuff out to Spain for me at a very reasonable price.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:38 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueChip
There are quite a few people who drive trucks back and forth every few weeks and if they have room they will take extra stuff for little money.
I found an antique dealer in Jalon who has carried some boating stuff out to Spain for me at a very reasonable price.
I suspect that it's not the size of the box that's the issue but the weight.

It doesn't take much extra to push a load over the weight limit even if there is masses of space left on the van!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueChip
You should read my post above. A van is going to be a problem probably. Apart from the weight issue that has just been mentioned, the size of it means that it will have to be strapped to a side or front. That means quite a possible weight imbalance. Plus it needs to have at least a tail lift which can take the weight.

The piece needs to be loaded and unloaded as well. I suspect the answer is to take the tools out of the tool box, put into individual boxes and ship it like that. It removes all the possible problems.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You should read my post above. A van is going to be a problem probably. Apart from the weight issue that has just been mentioned, the size of it means that it will have to be strapped to a side or front. That means quite a possible weight imbalance. Plus it needs to have at least a tail lift which can take the weight.

The piece needs to be loaded and unloaded as well. I suspect the answer is to take the tools out of the tool box, put into individual boxes and ship it like that. It removes all the possible problems.
Yes Mitzyboy - its what i was thinking too.

Will need either low loader box trailer with a ramp or a truck with tail lift.
May be an idea as u suggest - empty them and send empty. still heavy tho lol. Although nearer time - i may drive down with a trailer perhaps. All depends what car i have at the time. I think because its south of spain - will cost a lot - coupled with the weight of the items.

heres a link for th pics of it i hope. - its on wheels - but u should get the idea of the size better.

cheers for your replies.

Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:32 am
Senior Moment

May be an idea as u suggest - empty them and send empty. still heavy tho lol. Although nearer time - i may drive down with a trailer perhaps. All depends what car i have at the time. I think because its south of spain - will cost a lot - coupled with the weight of the items.

heres a link for th pics of it i hope. - its on wheels - but u should get the idea of the size better.

cheers for your replies.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...56230496&saved
You can hire a Luton 35 cwt tail lift and do the whole round trip with whatever else you can pack in there for about £1500 inc tolls, ferry, rent, fuel - Or use one of the one way van hire companies. You'll still need to pack the tools separately though. Cant see anything in the link

I see you live near my sister, just outside Johnston

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 21st 2010 at 11:36 am.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You can hire a Luton 35 cwt tail lift and do the whole round trip with whatever else you can pack in there for about £1500 inc tolls, ferry, rent, fuel - Or use one of the one way van hire companies. You'll still need to pack the tools separately though. Cant see anything in the link

I see you live near my sister, just outside Johnston
Thanks for the info Mitzyboy.

Sounds like a plan !

I was born and bread in Johnston, left when i was 21. now up in the hills of pembs - in the cold and freezin wind !!

Curious - whos your sister - ? - maybe u better to private message any further info my friend.

Nice to meet u on here - handy man to know

catch ya soon
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:54 am
Senior Moment

Thanks for the info Mitzyboy.

Sounds like a plan !

I was born and bread in Johnston, left when i was 21. now up in the hills of pembs - in the cold and freezin wind !!

Curious - whos your sister - ? - maybe u better to private message any further info my friend.

Nice to meet u on here - handy man to know

catch ya soon
I returned your pm
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:38 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

cheers for your replies.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...56230496&saved
Mate bought his tools & a big compressor (plus other kit) down in a twin wheeled tranny with no issues, so most big vans should be able to carry your tools up against the headboard if they are picking up lighter stuff.
Fork the cabinet on is the way to go IMO to save stripping the tools out.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by playamonte
Mate bought his tools & a big compressor (plus other kit) down in a twin wheeled tranny with no issues, so most big vans should be able to carry your tools up against the headboard if they are picking up lighter stuff.
Fork the cabinet on is the way to go IMO to save stripping the tools out.
My tool box alone cost me £2500, without the tools inside - i wont be using no fork lift truck !

i spent £30 on bubble wrap to move it locally !

most earlier tool boxes - were 1/4 of the size all us techys use now. easily go in tranny vans as u say. mine wud - but its damned heavy to lift - even as a 2 piece. i have used luton vans with tail lift to move locally.

im in no hurry at moment. but - i think one other option i have thought of is - buy a van - drive it down and sell it then when i get to benidorm. so just a one way trip. Just load up my AA recovery so it covers me to be towed all way to benidorm if i breakdown. however - hiring one that is reliable and can just go one way would be handy too.
I got the answer i was looking for i think - im looking at around £2000 - which then gives me the thought - may as well buy a new box in Benidorm ! lol ! Give the other one to my dad - cuz i wont get £2000 for it in uk unless i trade in for a bigger one. buy new one - sounds better idea especially when just starting off in spain.

anyways - thanks for your advice / thoughts etc. ty

best regards
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

bishbash is an unknown quantity at this point

I needed to move some pretty big stuff to my place in Moraira from Manchester and I used Palletways in Manchester. They collected it from my house, wrapped it & put it on a pallet. We didn't need a fork lift truck at either end and they leave every day of the week. Took about 5 days and it was delivered perfectly with no need for a fork truck in Moraira either.
They also gave me a website tracking number so I could follow it on the journey. I didn't bother with that because they use their own trucks and warehouses (they call them hubs) in England and in Spain.

I don't know what they would charge exactly but from what I sent, even with the size of that cabinet, I think you'll be nicely inside £400, and they insure it for you.

They'll collect it any day you like and give you an exact day of delivery. They also do the job in exactly the same way in every country, and they have a rule book that says they have to.
So I'd do it like that. It was dead easy and real good value.

You can find them on the net but I do know that they've got an international office in Lichfield. Somebody there will put you through and they'll just take the worry away from you.
They made it very easy for me and I'll definitely use them again. They fetch things back from Spain every day as well. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 2:55 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bishbash
I needed to move some pretty big stuff to my place in Moraira from Manchester and I used Palletways in Manchester. They collected it from my house, wrapped it & put it on a pallet. We didn't need a fork lift truck at either end and they leave every day of the week. Took about 5 days and it was delivered perfectly with no need for a fork truck in Moraira either.
They also gave me a website tracking number so I could follow it on the journey. I didn't bother with that because they use their own trucks and warehouses (they call them hubs) in England and in Spain.

I don't know what they would charge exactly but from what I sent, even with the size of that cabinet, I think you'll be nicely inside £400, and they insure it for you.

They'll collect it any day you like and give you an exact day of delivery. They also do the job in exactly the same way in every country, and they have a rule book that says they have to.
So I'd do it like that. It was dead easy and real good value.

You can find them on the net but I do know that they've got an international office in Lichfield. Somebody there will put you through and they'll just take the worry away from you.
They made it very easy for me and I'll definitely use them again. They fetch things back from Spain every day as well. Hope this helps.
Hmmm ... thats news as Palletways has always been what the name hints at. They carry goods that fit onto a pallet. Thats how they keep the cost down, as they can pack and stack loads of pallets onto a vehicle quickly and easily. Obviously a 6ft x 6ft very heavy tool chest that needs roping and strapping is a bit different, but there you go Their web site shows the biggest pallet for europe allowed as 1m x 1.2 max x 2.2 m high, max 1200 kgs