Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

how many making move

how many making move

Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of
Default Re: how many making move

Thanks Billgates, for your post #101. I think we have a reasonable meeting of minds there then. My point with the two viewers was essentially that one would enter the buying situation without the prejudice of ‘I can really shaft this seller’. I feel that the positive thinker is more likely to negotiate a successful deal than the negative. We can easily see from this and other forums that the ‘silly offer’ brigade are not really achieving what they want.

Equally I wouldn’t want sellers to be in a situation where they feel they need to accept just about any offer to get out and get on with their life.

As for “should have saved for their retirement instead of relying on endless property inflation”, my wife and I would have loved to have saved, but with two kids, a mortgage and all the usual bills, in Surrey Heath that just wasn’t possible. With multiple redundancies and other problems we are lucky to have scraped through at all.

That pretty much answers gallerie9’s point, but I’d change it to “how many UK residents can save for anything?” I realised in the 80s and 90s that, with my pension fund legally stolen, it was going to be ‘survival of the fittest’. Not everyone has survived.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:00 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Not quite, but I do believe that the government could and should have done something to prevent this unrealistic property bubble.

If banks had stuck to the tried and tested principles of three times salary for mortgages and a sensible deposit then house prices would never have gone the way they did. FTBs would still be able to afford a home without saddling themselves with a lifetime of debt.

I've nothing against anyone making money out of their house - just build an extension or add an extra bedroom. Whatever. It's the rampant speculation that is wrong. The Buy-To-let mortgages that were really only Borrow-To-Let because they were sold with huge mortgages. The new "owners" were only interested in speculation and making a quick profit. All that really happened was that so many people jumped on the bandwagon and suddenly everyone just had to get on the property ladder at any cost.

People were stupid.

Why did the banks really lend people 125% mortgages?
They didn't care what the people earned or whether they could actually afford to repay the loan. The banks just knew they were onto a good thing because it was pushing house prices up and up, and when the poor buyer defaulted on the mortgage, then the bank could clean up by repossessing the house and selling for an even greater profit.

Pure greed on the part of the BTL idiots and the banks, and the only real losers were the FTBs who were pressured into buying into an inflated market but who are finally realising that now it is time to wait.

Can anyone really believe that house prices jumping from 3 times salary to 8 times salary is an acceptable way for a "free market" to behave.

You could argue that the bank of England should not be able to adjust interest rates to control inflation. Isn't that simply interfering with your same "free market"?
I find it strange how BTL people are frequently seen negatively - basically most are people who have gotten off their own backsides and taken a risk, borrowed money to set up a business, probably worked quite hard to get the business going and now provide a service that other people want.

Like any business sector there will be some who over-extend themselves or fail, but at least they were trying to improve their lot rather than sitting back on the sofa doing nothing.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I find it strange how BTL people are frequently seen negatively - basically most are people who have gotten off their own backsides and taken a risk,
I totally agree with you
I do not see it as a problem, people have a right to do this if their finances are in order .... if they cannot afford it then they shouldn't be doing it.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by billgates
Of course, if the seller is simply selling up to fund their retirement in the sun then it isn't really fair that the poor buyer should have to pay for a grossly inflated mortgage just so the seller can live a more comfortable life by the pool.
Forget retirement in the sun.

As stated by a previous poster many people have seen their pension schemes disintegrate. Of those many then saw their home as their best hope for a passable retirement. It was quite reasonable to contemplate selling their by now over-large home to buy smaller property in the UK or Spain, or even, bearing in mind the problems with buying property in Spain to bank their capital on selling their home and to then pay rent out of capital or interest on that capital. Sorry, you cannot just see your property as a home, you have to see it as an asset.

Then we have the current property crisis and it is in my opinion precisely that. No one has seen anything like this since before the 1960's. Rather than question whether the closure of estate agents is significant,laudable or whatever or telling me that in your area property is still selling look at the position in a month or two. I believe that many who view this site have had their property up for sale for months and only a very small number will have sold within weeks if they placed their property on the market in May or June of this year.

As for half full and half empty purchasers, even the most optimistic (unworldly) purchaser or vendor is saddled with financing any property deal and the money men are now far more cagey about what they will or will not lend. I would love to meet the half full purchaser and have them interested in my property but there really cannot be many of them around. We are surrounded by info on building society cash flow problems, builders with massive problems etc.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:22 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, can't disagree with that. The fault is down to the greed of the bankers who sold ridiculous mortgages to get their commissions/bonuses, and those grasping scumbags are precisely the ones who will be least affected and least likely to suffer any punishment whatsoever.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Forget retirement in the sun.

As stated by a previous poster many people have seen their pension schemes disintegrate. Of those many then saw their home as their best hope for a passable retirement. It was quite reasonable to contemplate selling their by now over-large home to buy smaller property in the UK or Spain, or even, bearing in mind the problems with buying property in Spain to bank their capital on selling their home and to then pay rent out of capital or interest on that capital. Sorry, you cannot just see your property as a home, you have to see it as an asset.

Then we have the current property crisis and it is in my opinion precisely that. No one has seen anything like this since before the 1960's. Rather than question whether the closure of estate agents is significant,laudable or whatever or telling me that in your area property is still selling look at the position in a month or two. I believe that many who view this site have had their property up for sale for months and only a very small number will have sold within weeks if they placed their property on the market in May or June of this year..
I can't agree with that, the 1989/90 crash was significantly worse than things currently are - I am not saying that the current situation will not get worse but they are not that bad yet.

Last edited by Cape Blue; Jul 16th 2008 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

But : in 1990/91 , Lloyds and Barclays and ( then was ) Midland were only glad to give you 14% p.a. , on your squids ;
now : look at the pittance of ( taxed ) interest your savings attract today , plus a thoroughly believable scenario that any U.K. bank may fold alltogetrher , into insolvency , before tomorrow dawns...
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:48 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Ray51
But : in 1990/91 , Lloyds and Barclays and ( then was ) Midland were only glad to give you 14% p.a. , on your squids ;
now : look at the pittance of ( taxed ) interest your savings attract today , plus a thoroughly believable scenario that any U.K. bank may fold alltogetrher , into insolvency , before tomorrow dawns...
But I thought the point was that most in society had debts such as mortgages and therefore the 15% interest rates on those were worse overall in the country than the taxed 14% on the savings
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:00 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

They can't let the banks fail as that really would cause the fewmets to hit the windmill.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Maybe the U.S. will save it's banks ;
but , would you trust our Gord and Alistair D. and their Macchiavellist lot to save Anything - e.g. the banks , the pound , the City of London , the economy , the law & order , the face ...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:02 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Does any one know who owns the Fedral Bank of America, The Bank of London and the Vatican Bank ???
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

You could probably trust Gord and crew to save their own R's.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

I agree that things are not yet as bad as 89/90 yet and also that there is a lot of negative thinking that only helps to make things worse.
Property in our area is still moving at sensible prices,albeit lower than 6 months ago. My property goes up for sale next month ,I will keep you informed.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:38 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Ray51
Maybe the U.S. will save it's banks ;
but , would you trust our Gord and Alistair D. and their Macchiavellist lot to save Anything - e.g. the banks , the pound , the City of London , the economy , the law & order , the face ...
Well, yes, I would.

GB % Co are no different to DC & Co. All politicians are scum. On the whole I hate the tories more.

I still haven't forgiven them for the boom and bust that enriched their grasping friends while ruining the rest of us.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

I agree that things are not yet as bad as 89/90 yet and also that there is a lot of negative thinking that only helps to make things worse.
Property in our area is still moving at sensible prices,albeit lower than 6 months ago. My property goes up for sale next month ,I will keep you informed.
Phew! Thank you george43!

People need to focus on what they CAN do, not what they CAN’T do.

The latest spate of helpless negative whinging on BE will kill it before long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.