Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How long is a piece of string...

How long is a piece of string...

Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

aw73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long is a piece of string...

hi all, I realise that this is an open question with no real definitive answer. We are looking to purchase a Static park home down south. We will be early retirees, as previously mentioned, and will have a monthly income of around 1800 euros. Would this be classed as a livable income ?

Al and Lin
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long is a piece of string...

Obviously depends on lifestyle (drinking/eating out etc) and I have no idea of those park type overheads but I would say yes 1800€ is enough as it is above national average income.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

It goes to show how different we all are - thankfully- as the thought of living in a trailer park , Spain or otherwise- for me would require living costs of the price of a decent rope as after about two nights I would top myself
Old Oct 31st 2015, 7:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You might think that, but we have a couple of friends who have a static mobile home on a site just off the N340 near Cabo Pino on the CDS (between Málaga and Marbella) and they love it there. They have all the facilities they need, WiFi and Satellite TV, shops nearby and a relatively low cost of living well within €1800 a month on which they also run a decent car.

Horses for courses.

Last edited by Fred James; Oct 31st 2015 at 7:18 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

I don't doubt it.
As I did state- we are all different ( thankfully) , each to their own
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:27 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people spend their money foolishly. And there are a few who live very well on less than that.

First, don't presume you can only live in a British expat community. It's not only significantly more expensive all 'round, but many eventually find it's not any different than living in Manchester, except for the weather. Same shit, different location.

Next, you need not buy name-brand everything. That's something people care about in the north. Here, nobody gives a damn if you have a Bosch kitchen or a new range rover (unless you live in a British or German expat community). You can save a fortune by buying a used golf, and some no-name kitchen appliances (or used ones being sold off by those who were unrealistic about their new life in Spain). It's a lot more practical anyway. The new range rover will eventually get all bashed up anyway. And the Bosch kitchen is manufactured by the very same factory that manufactures the cheap Chinese stuff. It just says Bosch on it. And don't even think about buying your stuff in the UK and having it shipped here. Anything you can buy in the UK, you can also buy here, at a lower price, with local support, and without ridiculous shipping charges.

Learn Spanish. It will save you a fortune.

And kiss goodbye the HP sauce and embrace a new cuisine. You'll only find British kitchen in British expat areas, and it will cost as much or more than it does in the UK. A jar of Pataks curry sauce is just under €5 here. At Morrison's, 95p. But that's because it's an "import". There are plenty of lovely foods that are fresher and a fraction of the cost of typical British foods. You just have to get used to the local cuisine.

With the money you save by not wasting your money on " british stuff" or impressing others, you can afford a much bigger house, a pool, and some land which facilitates a buffer zone between you and your next neighbour. But you will have to come to grips with the fact that you're not in Manchester anymore. And be happy with it. But your money will go a lot further...
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exactly Amideislas

There are many money saving tips you can use-

Rubber bands soaked in toothpaste make an ideal long lasting and cheap alternative to chewing gum.

As cat food can be expensive, save money by simply not owning a cat- and scratching your furniture yourself using a large nail or Stanley knife

Drop a couple of teabags into your hot water tank- hey presto!, cuppas on tap

Another handy shopping tip is bring your wheeley bin with you to the supermarket- it's then easy and handy to check the exact items you have run out of.

And a good tip for saving time is - when counting to 10 start at 4, or if you are in a real hurry commence your count at 8.

Last edited by Dondurma; Oct 31st 2015 at 8:53 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to you all for your replies,, I think we are probably worrying over nothing to be honest. Dondurma, I will give the rubber band tip a miss if that's ok

We will be back with loads more questions soon..
Take care
Al and Lin
Old Oct 31st 2015, 8:59 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh please...

You can live quite well on €1800 per month. If you spend it wisely. When we first moved here, we made all the mistakes. €1600/ mo for a flat in a British expat community, brought the Audi and the range rover, paid all the premiums to be surrounded with "Britishness"...

Against all warnings from those who warned us about moving outside of "civilisation", we bought in the campo. And I can say with confidence... Triple the space, triple the peace, and quadruple the happiness, at about 2/3 the price... But Manchester in the sun it isn't (thank God).
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

What, pray tell, is wrong with Manchester ?
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:36 pm
Banned

Nothing really. Just tiring of answering how we can live a "third world" lifestyle "out there". Until of course, they eventually show up for dinner, and then feel uncomfortable because we're obviously "rich". Although probably have less than any of them... It's not what you have, its what you do with it...

You may not like my tone, but you should listen to what I have to say. Been there, done that...

Last edited by amideislas; Oct 31st 2015 at 11:15 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
And kiss goodbye the HP sauce and embrace a new cuisine. You'll only find British kitchen in British expat areas, and it will cost as much or more than it does in the UK. A jar of Pataks curry sauce is just under €5 here.
This week after 9 years living here I tasted my first meal of "putxero" which is an extremely popular Valencian meal. None of my friends have thought to serve it to me because they know that I love paella so they make sure that this is what they give to me. I bought the putxero from a lady who has opened a homemade food place, at the unbelievable cost of 3 euros it is an amazingly filling meal at a wonderful price.

So I would agree with you totally about embracing the local cuisine, I always have and have never regretted it.

Rosemary
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

I wasn't asking if we could afford more than a third world existence, just that we are looking at finances and trying to get things straight in our heads. Also, when I said ` down south` I meant in southern Spain. We do not come from Manchester...south east actually. But then if my question is going to generate negative responses, then I wont ask anymore.....thanks
Old Oct 31st 2015, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't be put off aw73, no one meant any harm and your query was a valid one.
Old Oct 31st 2015, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Hey AW,

I live in an apartment with community charges, run a car, eat, drink, etc. and can easily get by on 1800 a month. Apart from all the obvious expenses, i.e. those you have in the UK, like power, etc. do remember that you need to take care of health cover here if you are an early retiree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.