Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

Originally Posted by agoreira
I agree with the first part, however none of us were born speaking Spanish with a perfect accent, it hopefully comes with practice. I doubt very much that your accent is perfect, I know mine certainly isn't (although gutted when a Spanish friend told me I was getting an andalú accent), so you're probably in no position to belittle the efforts of people trying their best to speak the lingo, they should be encouraged. The fact you write "español" with a capital letter would indicate your Spanish is far from perfect.
Or the fact that he says "español". Most Spanish wold refer to their language as "castellano".
As for rolling one's r's as being simple, it's partly genetic. I cannot roll my r's & probably never will. I speak 6 languages, including Persian, but still cannot roll my r's!!!
What's OH & TBH???

Some tips for learning a language:
1 get to know the common verbs in the present & past, such as "go, went, come, came, buy, bought, etc. They are often "irregular". There might be about a dozen or so.
2 a few stock phrases, such as "sorry, could you repeat that", or "is this the right way to ...."
3 Never swear in Spanish unless you have mastered the language. There's nothing worse than a foreign speaker of English using F*** every other word.
4 watch a spanish soap on TV regularly
5 listen to some fluent Spanish, say RNE 1 news broadcasts
Old Jan 26th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

After four years here with a weekly lesson and spanish TV my comprehension is great but my spoken spanish is rubbish. I'm better if I'm caught off guard or agitated - then I just use the words that come to mind, don't worry about grammar and seem to get understood. However, if I prepare for a conversation I still think in english first and try to translate which is useless and frustrating.
Main problem is lack of practice - my own fault. I was delighted to get into a good old gossip and the supermarket checkout this week only to get home and find I had been given change for a 10 euro note instead of a 20.

Worse still I think my english has deteriorated as well so soon I won't be fluent in any language
Old Jan 26th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
After four years here with a weekly lesson and spanish TV my comprehension is great but my spoken spanish is rubbish. I'm better if I'm caught off guard or agitated - then I just use the words that come to mind, don't worry about grammar and seem to get understood. However, if I prepare for a conversation I still think in english first and try to translate which is useless and frustrating.
Main problem is lack of practice - my own fault. I was delighted to get into a good old gossip and the supermarket checkout this week only to get home and find I had been given change for a 10 euro note instead of a 20.

Worse still I think my english has deteriorated as well so soon I won't be fluent in any language
I don't think your English will deteriorate that quickly. You may take a few seconds to think of an English word that would normally come quickly, but heck, that also happens as one gets older!! I'm not suggesting you're old!!!

It's also only natural to think in English 1st.
It appears you live in Catalonia, which might make learning Spanish that much harder, since Catalans are proud of their own language, quite rightly, but some might resent speaking castellano.
Don't worry about your spoken Spanish. At least you've made a big effort to learn Spanish & it sounds as if you've got to a pretty good standard.

My son speaks good "bar Spanish" since he mixed with lots of young people, so knows lots of "with it" expressions. But he rarely reads a newspaper & I get quite surprised at words that he doesn't know, such as "el canalon" (guttering). I know it simply because I needed to buy some recently!!!

Could you set yourself a challenge, such as take an exam, with an oral part, in Spanish, say at an Instituto Cervantes, or something like our British Council. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Or the fact that he says "español". Most Spanish wold refer to their language as "castellano".
As for rolling one's r's as being simple, it's partly genetic. I cannot roll my r's & probably never will. I speak 6 languages, including Persian, but still cannot roll my r's!!!
3 Never swear in Spanish unless you have mastered the language. There's nothing worse than a foreign speaker of English using F*** every other word.
Agree, the double r's are not easy, I'd say I get it right quite a lot, and wrong quite a lot! Also some people seem to go overboard, delighted with their new found ability to pronounce the double r, they then sound it when there is only one r"! Swearing in Spanish seems much more acceptable, for instance when in company, they use words that I would never use the equivalent of in English. So you're right, when they speak in English they often seem to use swear words as they would in Spanish and it sounds awful.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:41 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
After four years here with a weekly lesson and spanish TV my comprehension is great but my spoken spanish is rubbish.
Lots of people say that but I can't see why it should be. I'm completely the opposite - I can usually say whatever I want to say but when the stream of Spanish comes back at me I seriously struggle. To me it's obvious - when I'm speaking I use words and grammar that I know - I can't use any other. When they speak to me they use loads of words and grammar that I don't know which is why I can't readily understand them. Can anyone explain how come they can understand lots but not speak it? It doesn't seem logical to me
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

MaryM79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies, didn't expect such a response!
I am starting private lessons tomorrow, so hoping I will do well. I like to think it should be easier due to my italian (and I can roll my Rs, you can always spot a foreigner when they can't roll their Rs.. my mum lived in Italy for 15 years and she never managed it, although she was fluent italian after a few years)
Thanks all!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:26 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
I think part of the problem is the definition of fluency.

TBH in my world only natives speak their language fluently. The rest can speak it well but it'll never be fluent. I cringe when I hear foreigners speak spanish, they sound like idiots, particularly with their complete inability to roll their "R"s. How can anyone claim to be fluent when they can't do something as simple as that. Weren't some of you "fluent" people on here also pronouncing the word "hijo" as "heho". I nearly fell off my chair

!!!
French people can roll their Rs better than the British, but it does not make them better language speakers. People put too much importance on it, and for British people it is difficult. But we the difference between "perro and pero" can be sussed out in the context of the conversation. So there would be not great probs there and if natives make a big deal in not understanding the difference between those 2 words, it is just pretence.

Originally Posted by agoreira
I agree with the first part, however none of us were born speaking Spanish with a perfect accent, it hopefully comes with practice. I doubt very much that your accent is perfect, I know mine certainly isn't (although gutted when a Spanish friend told me I was getting an andalú accent), so you're probably in no position to belittle the efforts of people trying their best to speak the lingo, they should be encouraged. The fact you write "español" with a capital letter would indicate your Spanish is far from perfect.
Having a "perfect" accent in a foregin language is vitrually impossible, except with very young children.

I dont know why there is such a hang up with accents, I have never mastered the vowel sound in LYN, (wifes best friend) it always comes out as LEEN, or so I have been told.

But that does not take anything away from my ability to make myself understood.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimenato
Lots of people say that but I can't see why it should be. I'm completely the opposite - I can usually say whatever I want to say but when the stream of Spanish comes back at me I seriously struggle. To me it's obvious - when I'm speaking I use words and grammar that I know - I can't use any other. When they speak to me they use loads of words and grammar that I don't know which is why I can't readily understand them. Can anyone explain how come they can understand lots but not speak it? It doesn't seem logical to me
I think in my case it might be that most of my conversations are with catalans so its a second language for them too and they tend to speak it more slowly. When I'm on the phone to telefonica (sorry movistar ) I usually have to tell them to slow down. Watching TV is OK, but then again it might be the sort of things I watch like cookery & travel programmes where the presenter is explaining things.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

Having a "perfect" accent in a foreign language is virtually impossible, except with very young children.
I don't know why there is such a hang up with accents, I have never mastered the vowel sound in LYN, (wifes best friend) it always comes out as LEEN, or so I have been told.
But that does not take anything away from my ability to make myself understood.
Agree, besides often there can be something attractive about a foreign accent, some women seem to find the French guys attempting English with a French accent sexy! Guy at our Spanish group is "Phil" but it's always "feel" to the Spanish teacher! Lots of Spanish with very good English still insist on putting an "E" in front of an "S", as in "espain" for Spain. Easy to see where it comes from, but a habit hard to drop. As they don't pronounce an "h" they often have problems with that in English, but it's no big deal.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
I don't think your English will deteriorate that quickly. You may take a few seconds to think of an English word that would normally come quickly, but heck, that also happens as one gets older!! I'm not suggesting you're old!!!

It's also only natural to think in English 1st.
It appears you live in Catalonia, which might make learning Spanish that much harder, since Catalans are proud of their own language, quite rightly, but some might resent speaking castellano.
Don't worry about your spoken Spanish. At least you've made a big effort to learn Spanish & it sounds as if you've got to a pretty good standard.

You are probably right about the age thing although it tends to be words that I use in spanish a lot that come to mind first and leave me struggling for the english translation.
I have met catalans who would rather speak english than castellano. Our next door neighbour who is in his 70's happily speaks castellano as he is from the generation when catalan was banned but last autumn he enrolled on an english course and now only wants to practice his english.
My husband says I shouldn't beat myself up and I suppose he's right but I did hope to be a lot more confident after 4 years.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

I have been trying to learn Spanish since we decided to move there last spring. I have been using as many resources from the internet as I can find and although I will never manage to roll the rr I do try to work on pronunciation. However when I try to listen to spoken spanish its so fast all I hear is a machine gun rattling away. I hope that improves once we get out there and are immersed in the language. I do have a hearing problem with english at times and am old so learning a new languagecan be tough. However, I have never been one to shy away from a challenge and maybe one day I'll manage a conversation.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sujee
I have been trying to learn Spanish since we decided to move there last spring. I have been using as many resources from the internet as I can find and although I will never manage to roll the rr I do try to work on pronunciation. However when I try to listen to spoken spanish its so fast all I hear is a machine gun rattling away. I hope that improves once we get out there and are immersed in the language. I do have a hearing problem with english at times and am old so learning a new languagecan be tough. However, I have never been one to shy away from a challenge and maybe one day I'll manage a conversation.
try listening to this - slow, clear, Spanish

http://www.newsinslowspanish.com/
Old Jan 27th 2012, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks this is excellent and even if I dont understand it all the sounds are becoming more familiar.

I'm not helped by having tinnitus lol
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

For me, fluency is being able to do anything in Spanish that you would be able to do in English e.g. talking to people, sorting out some legal problem, talking on the phone, sending emails. And of course using full sentences and grammar to do this

I can do this as well in Spanish as in English, although I may make the odd mistake

Sometimes I meet a word I havent come across before, but I can always get by it from the context of the sentence, or ask what it is. It doesnt matter, people know you are a foreigner and are delighted that you can speak Spanish so well

Anyway, you can only get to this level living in Spain and talking to loads of people. Listening is the most difficult thing in Spanish, now I even understand the old guys

Grammar and pronounciation is very easy in comparison
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

We moved here about 5 years, and I couldn't speak any spanish. We enrolled at a spanish class run by the ayuntamiento. Two classes a week for about 2 hours each. The teacher (who could speak english) only spoke in spanish. For the first two weeks I couldn't understand a single word. Most of the other pupils dropped out, but I persevered, and I'm glad I did. I went for about 18 months, and then had some private lessons for about 12 months.

The ayuntamiento lessons helped me develop a basic vocabulary and pronunciation but above else I learnt how to listen in Spanish. The private lessons helped me understand the grammar, particularly how to use verbs and sentence construction. I found these much easier to understand when I could ask questions in english.

Where I live the language is either castellano or valenciano, with not much english. Generally I don't have too many problems (biggest problem is recalling vocabulary on demand, even when you know the word) but I realised that at my age I was never going to be fluent, but it was important to try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.