Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to lay Spanish roof tiles?

How to lay Spanish roof tiles?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

colingbradley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to lay Spanish roof tiles?

I am getting a builder to build me a small brick shed (caseta) and he says it takes ages to lay the Spanish roofing tiles. He want me to put some nasty fake tile panels on it.

I want to do the job myself with real tiles.
Anyone know if there is any technique i should know about.
tia,
Colin
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to lay Spanish roof tiles?

Originally Posted by colingbradley
I am getting a builder to build me a small brick shed (caseta) and he says it takes ages to lay the Spanish roofing tiles. He want me to put some nasty fake tile panels on it.

tia,
Colin
Don`t forget to get the licence and make the roof waterproof before you put the tiles on. ;-))
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:43 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you mean tejas curvas, then these two sites may help
http://www.construmatica.com/constru...iertas_de_Teja
http://asturias.grao.net/oficios/teyeros/teyeros.html
or get the book "Como se construye una vivienda" by JL Moia which shows how to lay them.
It's a slow and skilled job which is why other types of tiles are now usually preferred.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:49 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

... I assume you've already put the rigas in place and laid the main 'roof' comprising the 'tile panels' (not sure what they're called) and then screeded it.

As everyone has said, laying the tiles in the original way is very time consuming and is only really needed if you're matching an existing roof. There are many other reasonably good looking tiles that are much easier to lay.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

colingbradley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Assuming you mean tejas curvas, then these two sites may help
http://www.construmatica.com/constru...iertas_de_Teja
http://asturias.grao.net/oficios/teyeros/teyeros.html
or get the book "Como se construye una vivienda" by JL Moia which shows how to lay them.
It's a slow and skilled job which is why other types of tiles are now usually preferred.
Thanks, the second link was just perfect.
The builder is going to do all the preperation, the tiles need to match the existing villa (my preference) so it will be worth the effort even though the panels would be cheaper and quicker.
Around here (Costa del Sol) most houses seem to use the tejas curvas tiles.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

They do say that a man is like a tile floor..................if you lay them right the first time you can walk all over them for the rest of their life.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Mark Paddon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by colingbradley

tia,
Colin
A word of advice on bedding mortar (e.g. for the ridge, eaves and verge terminations) add 'Sika Latex' additive to the water before mixing. This will improve adherence and help to resist water penetration. For improved weather proofing you can add 'Onduline Bajo Teja' corrugated sheets under the tiled surface. Keep you pitch over 25 degrees to reduce the risk of capillary action.