Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to get work?

How hard is it to get work?

Old Jun 20th 2005, 1:00 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default How hard is it to get work?

Just wondering as my inlaws have a property in Spain how hard would it be to find work as they only speak English ?

They would like to lie out there but are putting it off until they retire due to their concerns about work availability.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

torie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How hard is it to get work?

You don't say what trade they are in nor where in Spain they are.

I suppose the best answer would be, if they were Spanish and moved to the UK - how easy would it be for them to find a job in their field only knowing Spanish? It all depends on the type of work, but a will to learn the local language would probably be a good start - everyone does a certain amount of 'on the job learning'! It's just that some of that learning is easier to hide in the beginning than others...

t0rie

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Just wondering as my inlaws have a property in Spain how hard would it be to find work as they only speak English ?

They would like to lie out there but are putting it off until they retire due to their concerns about work availability.

Thanks.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 2:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
About the same as a Spanish persons chances in England, possibly only work with other Spanish people.
If their place is where there are lots of expats then maybe they could get some work.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:10 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
About the same as a Spanish persons chances in England, possibly only work with other Spanish people.
If their place is where there are lots of expats then maybe they could get some work.
Thanks for your replies people/.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

...how hard would it be to find work as they only speak English ?...

VERY
Old Jun 26th 2005, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

So, Bfg69bug......why did you move to Spain? Did you learn the language? Did you find work? Don't take this the wrong way....I'm just curious.
Mary
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maryg
So, Bfg69bug......why did you move to Spain? Did you learn the language? Did you find work? Don't take this the wrong way....I'm just curious.
Mary

my oparents "retired" here...i came along.

yes, i´m almost fluent. i think in spanish.

i´ve had loads of work, loads of jobs...bars, resturants, building sites, gardening, oddjobs... but all cash in hand - only one in 5 years was contracted and legal...
Old Jun 28th 2005, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an odd one. I always believed that getting a job on the Costa del Sol was really difficult.

We advertised recently for an IT assistant (newspapers and online) and only got 2 responses, and neither were any good!! This really threw us, we thought there must be loads of people looking for a job on the coast....

We'll keep looking!
Old Jun 29th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can get work on the Costa Del Sol, and I don't think you necessarily need to speak Spanish as I do know people working who don't speak any. The main complaint I hear here is getting quality and reliable staff. My hairdresser alone has gone through a load of wasters but she now has a team she is happy with and neither of her staff speak Spanish. One is English and the other is South African. A friend of mine works for My Travel and she said that the quality of applicants she has had were high, but what let them down was not speaking Spanish. But some tour operators do take people who do not speak any spanish, but they do prefer it. Real Estate Agents will take you, but a load of sharks and some haven't been paid commissions they are owed. Drugs is another problem in the workforce, especially cocaine, seen and heard about it quite a bit, but think that is also a world problem. .

Like anywhere, if you are persistant you can get work, even moreso if you are reliable. It is a transit place so you will get floaters in who just want to work and party. I would suggest that your parents come down for a while rent out their house in the UK and rent here f see how they find it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 8:25 pm
mr cid

cidshock is an unknown quantity at this point

If you were in Almeria, you would have given me the job.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jaldridge

We advertised recently for an IT assistant (newspapers and online) and only got 2 responses, and neither were any good!! This really threw us, we thought there must be loads of people looking for a job on the coast....

We'll keep looking!

whats the position, and where is it based ? i might not have qualifications, but i know windows and the internet like the back of my hand - i´ve been fixing computers and installing software and hardware for other people since i was 13...
Old Jul 1st 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
whats the position, and where is it based ? i might not have qualifications, but i know windows and the internet like the back of my hand - i´ve been fixing computers and installing software and hardware for other people since i was 13...
Thanks for the message. I think we have found someone now but he is in UK!! Still can't believe we couldn't find someone suitable on the coast...
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the message. I think we have found someone now but he is in UK!! Still can't believe we couldn't find someone suitable on the coast...
Where did you advertise it ?
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Where did you advertise it ?
We adverised in El Sur newspaper and on the Job Toaster Spain website. It was the website that yielded the most enquiries!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

We adverised in El Sur newspaper and on the Job Toaster Spain website. It was the website that yielded the most enquiries!
I would have thought you would of had a lot of replies, as work is hard to find here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.