Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How do these people stay in business? LOL

How do these people stay in business? LOL

Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice
Default How do these people stay in business? LOL

I thought I´d ´share´ with you and see if anyone can beat this!!

Bought an apartment in Western CDS. Rang Telefonica and signed up for a phone line and ADSL. 2 weeks later telephoned them to check on the ´status´of my order which had promised some class of connection within a week or 2. ¨What order? ¨ said the South American lady who took my call. ¨No, no.... you imagined it.¨ Oh, okay then ....would it be possible to organise a contract for a telephone line with whatever ADSL you deem available to me. Of course...and we spent another 40 minutes discussing every detail of my life ...I´m sure y´all know how that goes!!

Another coupla weeks go by and I call again to check on ´progress´. Oh we´ll call you any day now. Phew!!

A week or so later (a Friday) a ´technico´ calls to say he´ll be along in 5 minutes. I couldn´t make it so we arranged that he would call me on the following Monday to do his installation. Monday comes and goes, cos´ as does the following week. On the Monday of the next again week I rang the ´technico´s tel. number to be told that he´d have to check with ´technico´central and he´d/they´d call me back. Much to my surprise (!) he didn´t call me back.

After another couple of days I called Telefonica central again. Imagine my surprise when I was told that I had never applied for a telephone line or ADSL...no, no, not once but twice. Oh...and that technico ...because I hadn´t been available at 5 minutes notice meant that my contract was automatically cancelled........AAHHAAAAAA....they acknowledged that I had, in fact, a kinda contract cos´a technico had called me ...after I mentioned that , they simply hung up!!! LOL LOL!

So, I gave up on telefonica and went with Vodafone (en casa). I won´t tell you how useless they are cos´I do, in fact, have a phone line and ADSL now - installed (hilarious) by a telefonica technico!!!

How DO these people stay in business...suggestions on a postcard please!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do these people stay in business? LOL

Its strange, when we got our line they were the epitomy of efficiency. We were set up and running in two weeks. Over the three years we have been dealing with them there have been a couple of times when the line was lost, but they sorted it quickly. Oh, and they billed me for a modem when I hadnt had one from them, but they refunded immediately when I pointed it out

I guess we all have varying stories, but yours seems pretty bad
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:27 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Some few years ago I was staying in a casita next to a friends house. I wanted ADSL. Telefonica came and said they could not get a line from the post which about 100 metres away to the casita. A couple of days later, I cut a groove on the road to an inspection hole, and installed a conduit tube.

I called Telefonica again and when they came and said they could not get the line from the post, Showed them where I had 'discovered' a conduit tube. I then started unrolling the cable to 'help" him. We installed the new line.

Its illegal to open the road but, like others here, I decided to interpret the law the way I wanted it.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:57 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
Some few years ago I was staying in a casita next to a friends house. I wanted ADSL. Telefonica came and said they could not get a line from the post which about 100 metres away to the casita. A couple of days later, I cut a groove on the road to an inspection hole, and installed a conduit tube.

I called Telefonica again and when they came and said they could not get the line from the post, Showed them where I had 'discovered' a conduit tube. I then started unrolling the cable to 'help" him. We installed the new line.

Its illegal to open the road but, like others here, I decided to interpret the law the way I wanted it.
What next, dodgey UK driving licenses?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:02 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Or maybe ever a DODGY one.

Its a fair cop guv, I plead guilty.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:05 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

lol, my English spelling is getting worse
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:13 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve always found that if you come across someone useful in life, like a plumber, electrician, satellite installer, taxi driver, policeman, telefonica technico, bank manager, or the like, it’s useful to keep friendly with them for when you need a decent service.

It may cost a bit extra, bit it saves the kind of trauma experienced by the OP.

I should have added the local mayor to the list, or at least a cousin of his.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
I’ve always found that if you come across someone useful in life, like a plumber, electrician, satellite installer, taxi driver, policeman, telefonica technico, bank manager, or the like, it’s useful to keep friendly with them for when you need a decent service.

It may cost a bit extra, bit it saves the kind of trauma experienced by the OP.

I should have added the local mayor to the list, or at least a cousin of his.
Maybe I should have added, that getting the line to casita was NOT POSSIBLE, that was the reason I had to find the 'existing' conduit, which Telefonica had not be aware of !!!!

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 17th 2010 at 1:41 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
You beat me to it!!!
Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Can't fault them myself

Applied on-line to Telefonica for a phone line + ADSL at 15:00
Got a call from one of their engineers the next morning at 09:00 asking if we were at home. He arrived at 09:15 and by 10:00 the line was installed and everything was up and running.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Harry Bohun is a jewel in the roughHarry Bohun is a jewel in the roughHarry Bohun is a jewel in the roughHarry Bohun is a jewel in the rough

I used to work for a business (not telecoms but IT) that did a similar thing.

TBH .. thats business today. Call centers staffed by immigrants who don't have any training and don't care liasing with field service/installation engineers who have a ridiculous quota to get through each day and who really don't have time or inclination to piss around with people who can't keep appointments.

Its kinda the way it is nowdays alas.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Can't fault them myself

Applied on-line to Telefonica for a phone line + ADSL at 15:00
Got a call from one of their engineers the next morning at 09:00 asking if we were at home. He arrived at 09:15 and by 10:00 the line was installed and everything was up and running.
I applied in 1985 and was connected in 1989.

Note I live in town.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:57 pm
Yaaarp

We 've had no end of problems with them........how much and how well has my OH complained about things?..........Oh has a meeting with Telefonica management and directors in Madrid tomorrow and getting paid 50E for taking up our time. I'll go into more detail tomorrow when I get back from work and hear the outcome.