British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   How do houses really sell? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/how-do-houses-really-sell-815621/)

cricketman Nov 21st 2013 8:18 am

Re: How do houses really sell?

Originally Posted by crookesey (Post 11000082)
No this sort of investment doesn't make multi millionaires

Of course it can. You can use spread betting to bet the currency exchange rate on a certain date

Or you can put all your savings into a certain currency depending on what may happen and then keep swapping when you think the market will turn

Or you can buy a lottery ticket like EMR said

Lynn R Nov 21st 2013 8:30 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11001044)

Last week's €100M Euromillions jackpot was reportedly won by someone in Almunecar, so it can be done!

crookesey Nov 21st 2013 11:31 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11001044)
Of course it can. You can use spread betting to bet the currency exchange rate on a certain date

Or you can put all your savings into a certain currency depending on what may happen and then keep swapping when you think the market will turn

I can't agree, millionaires are generally self made by doing the things that the likes of you and me would never think of. I knew the Stringfellow brothers in the 1960's, and couldn't work out their game plan in hiring dance halls to put on a one nighter with the likes of The Beatles. I found out later that they didn't have a game plan and were quite simply having the time of their lives, the money came as quite a nice surprise. :cool:

fionamw Nov 21st 2013 11:37 am

Ok so I might have mentioned the exchange rate ref Mitz's property, but it was only a side issue, and we've (aka a lot of you:lol:) gone down that track and no mistake. so:focus:

People have mentioned Scandinavians, Germans, Russians, Chinese..... my question would be HOW? Through Scandinavian, German, Russian, Chinese estate agencies operating out of or for the Spanish market? Or privately advertised either on sites like RightMove or their own websites?

Originally Posted by missile (Post 10999770)
Simple questions, but I would suggest answers are not so straight forward.

Any house will sell if the price is right.

% drop under advertised is not really valid question. Many are overpriced others are priced to sell and some are discounted to bargain basement.

IMHO a good EA is the most reliable way to sell your property at the best price.

Your chance of selling is determined by the location. Houses on the costas sell easier than those half way up a remote mountain track.

On that... I'm not so sure, a house will sell if the right person sees it. It's just a question of making sure enough people know of any property's existence!

Lynn R Nov 21st 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 11001311)
People have mentioned Scandinavians, Germans, Russians, Chinese..... my question would be HOW? Through Scandinavian, German, Russian, Chinese estate agencies operating out of or for the Spanish market? Or privately advertised either on sites like RightMove or their own websites?

I've noticed a few estate agents operating locally saying in their adverts recently that they now have a "tie-in" to various international markets - for example, the other day I saw one (think it was Spanish Management) saying they were now working with a Russian agency.

It's common practice for agents to work together anyway, when we were handling viewings for a friend who had his property up for sale it was only placed with one agent but she would regularly turn up with another agent in tow (of various nationalities) plus the prospective buyers. They split the commission.

There are also agents around from various countries - Hansen Inmobiliaria in Torre del Mar, for example, are Swedish and deal with the other Scandinavian countries as well.

Some local British agents (including the one we dealt with on our friend's behalf) also take stands at overseas property shows in other countries - I know she has been to St Petersburg, Copenhagen, Oslo for example.

crookesey Nov 21st 2013 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 11001331)
I've noticed a few estate agents operating locally saying in their adverts recently that they now have a "tie-in" to various international markets - for example, the other day I saw one (think it was Spanish Management) saying they were now working with a Russian agency.

It's common practice for agents to work together anyway, when we were handling viewings for a friend who had his property up for sale it was only placed with one agent but she would regularly turn up with another agent in tow (of various nationalities) plus the prospective buyers. They split the commission.

There are also agents around from various countries - Hansen Inmobiliaria in Torre del Mar, for example, are Swedish and deal with the other Scandinavian countries as well.

I wonder if multiple agencies could be classed as being 'a pack of estate agents'. :eek:

fionamw Nov 21st 2013 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by crookesey (Post 11001388)
I wonder if multiple agencies could be classed as being 'a pack of estate agents'. :eek:

Collective noun for estate agents............whole new thread, methinks.

lyric030250 Nov 21st 2013 1:16 pm

Until recently we had our apartment with a very well known 'Property Shop' in Nerja who made a big thing of a tie with Scandinavian agents. If the lead was from them they put the commission up from, an already high, 5% to 6%.

Removed from them as no viewings in a year, Scandinavian or otherwise.

Things seem to sell by word of mouth, know anybody selling ? sort of thing. We are in mid negotiation by this method and a house near my campo dwelling has just sold by the same way.

missile Nov 21st 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 11001311)
On that... I'm not so sure, a house will sell if the right person sees it. It's just a question of making sure enough people know of any property's existence!

I am not saying rural houses are less desirable. Any house will sell if the price is right.

For a whole lot of reasons it is generally easier to sell in more populated areas on the Costas. An obvious one is an Estate agent can show three or four properties local to his office in the time taken to drive to one remote finca.

crookesey Nov 21st 2013 1:53 pm

I went on a walk/hike back in the early 80's, inland between Calpe and Benissa Town, I had an open invite to visit a couple who ran a horse ranch way out in the sticks. I miraculously found it and wandered up to the house where they were relaxing on the terrace, they couldn't believe that I had walked instead of driving, because of the wild boar that were plentiful in the area. :scaredhair:

scampicat Nov 21st 2013 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 10998656)
A two-tier question, really.... are houses really selling and at what drop on the prices they're advertised at? And do most houses still sell through estate agents or has t'internet scuppered that by way of private website/blog sales or online 'agencies'?
Yes we're talking about selling, but then we've talked about selling virtually since the 2nd year after buying!
It just strikes me there's a lot of smoke and mirrors and we all know houses remain unsold for ages..............so those that DO eventually change hands, how?!!

We did not use an estate agent at all. We did our own particulars in English and Spanish and displayed them in shops, bars, restaurants - places where people would see, them.

Our buyers saw our advert in a restaurant and viewed it once. They then went away to think about it (and view some other properties) and offered on ours a couple of months later. They offered 20% less than the asking price which we accepted.

We bought in 2003, completed the sale in 2012 and broke even financially after all expenses and taxes.

Having said all that, we did only have this one serious viewer. If they had not bought it we might still be waiting.

We also advertised it on free internet websites and had nothing at all come from these.

Sold to Brits.

Hope this helps.

Longlegpete Nov 21st 2013 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by crookesey (Post 11001521)
I went on a walk/hike back in the early 80's, inland between Calpe and Benissa Town, I had an open invite to visit a couple who ran a horse ranch way out in the sticks. I miraculously found it and wandered up to the house where they were relaxing on the terrace, they couldn't believe that I had walked instead of driving, because of the wild boar that were plentiful in the area. :scaredhair:

The wild boar are still alive and well, often seen feeding by the road at night, they can be huge :eek:

fionamw Nov 22nd 2013 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11001798)
The wild boar are still alive and well, often seen feeding by the road at night, they can be huge :eek:

Wild boar are VERY close neighbours to our house.... about (guessing here, not much good at distance) 50m or less, on the track below our pool & lower terrace. I think that's a good thing. :)

cricketman Nov 22nd 2013 9:09 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 11002672)
Wild boar are VERY close neighbours to our house.... about (guessing here, not much good at distance) 50m or less, on the track below our pool & lower terrace. I think that's a good thing. :)

There are wild boar all over Spain

There are bears and wolves up here too, although in much lower numbers

crookesey Nov 22nd 2013 11:26 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11002696)
There are wild boar all over Spain

There are bears and wolves up here too, although in much lower numbers

Bloody heck CM, wild boar, bears, wolves and estate agents, Spain can be a really scary place. :eek: