British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   How do houses really sell? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/how-do-houses-really-sell-815621/)

cricketman Nov 20th 2013 2:05 pm

Re: How do houses really sell?

Originally Posted by crookesey (Post 10999782)
Everyone uses Rightmove anyway, in the UK you drive past something with a For Sale sign and by the time you get home you've forgotten who was selling it. Just key the area into Rightmove's site and nine times out of ten it appears. :thumbsup:

Obviously with Rightmove then you would only be advertising the property to people in the UK.

You need to also put it on the Spanish sites. 90% of properties in Spain are sold to Spaniards

crookesey Nov 20th 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10999816)
Obviously with Rightmove then you would only be advertising the property to people in the UK.

You need to also put it on the Spanish sites. 90% of properties in Spain are sold to Spaniards

I never realised that, they are missing out big time by not having a translation button. :confused:

Dxf Nov 20th 2013 2:23 pm

Hi
To me the answer is simple; take the year 2000 and a 100K property. It cost you £60K

Up to 2007 the market was rising so ask for the top end of the market (250K) and wait for the market to adjust to the price you want.
In 2013, take a look at prices around you (in a greater radius) and adjust downwards to be lower than other similar properties. Now take the difference in exchange rates and lower your price further. Then it may sell.

Now convert the 120K? back to pounds (£110K?) and thank your lucky stars you didn´t make a too great loss.

Just my tuppence worth

Davexf

cricketman Nov 20th 2013 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by crookesey (Post 10999830)
I never realised that, they are missing out big time by not having a translation button. :confused:

If only it were that easy :D

missile Nov 20th 2013 2:32 pm

I have noticed an increase in the number of properties being sold to Scandinavian and Eastern European buyers.

crookesey Nov 20th 2013 3:15 pm

I'm currently attempting to sell my late mother's detached bungalow, situated in a prime area in the UK. She paid £160K for it 12 years ago, the agent suggested putting it on at just under £200K. Unlike Spanish property sales I'm doing all the viewings, I've lost count of the amount of people that I've shown round it, but so far no offer has been made. We are now getting 2nd and 3rd viewings, I reckon that it's a case of the first one to make an offer is a loser, if no offers are made and someone then offers say £180K then I'm going to consider it, what I need is 2 people bidding against each other.

As for Spanish property, the one in Mijas that has reduced to a pittance, sort of gets me thinking that the bottom has truly fallen out of the market big style, I've seen plenty of 55% reductions so 65% shouldn't surprise me.

sam54140 Nov 20th 2013 3:21 pm

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-1...onths#comments
watch what will happen in the real estate market in the US...
on average, Spanish prices are "thought" to drop another 15-25% over next 2years +/-. nothing certain but possible
it all depends on the infamous euro too of course, with buzz the ECB
might finally do the same as the FED (can they?): print euros.
save it by devaluating it vs USD, GBP, yuan etc
the way too strong euro is EATING European companies growth and profit margins.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-1...ks-strong-euro

crookesey Nov 20th 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sam54140 (Post 10999942)
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-1...onths#comments
watch what will happen in the real estate market in the US...
on average, Spanish prices are "thought" to drop another 15-25% over next 2years +/-. nothing certain but possible
it all depends on the infamous euro too of course, with buzz the ECB
might finally do the same as the FED (can they?): print euros.
save it by devaluating it vs USD, GBP, yuan etc
the way too strong euro is EATING European companies growth and profit margins.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-1...ks-strong-euro

Only a few months ago the Euro lovers/Pound haters had the UK travelling down shit's creek in a canoe with holes in it's bottom, whilst they were almost within touching range of the Holy Grail. As I keep saying, 17 different fiscal regimes using a single currency, is total stupidity.

sam54140 Nov 20th 2013 3:33 pm

yep, that too.
like putting the chariot in front of the horses
this thing will go to parity with USD in an attempt to boost european exports
and save it and /or crater (and it might be France getting ouf ot it, not necessarily Greece for instance, doing the first move)
plenty of possible scenarios
that too will influence real estate prices in Spain for say a swiss buyer, or a British buyer, a Russian, a Chinese etc. but those guys (except Brits) most likely look for luxury properties, not the EUR 200,000 typical apart or family house with a pool. so it won't matter much. and since so many got burned with illegal sales too...

cricketman Nov 20th 2013 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by sam54140 (Post 10999968)
yep, that too.
like putting the chariot in front of the horses
this thing will go to parity with USD in an attempt to boost european exports
and save it and /or crater (and it might be France getting ouf ot it, not necessarily Greece for instance, doing the first move)
plenty of possible scenarios
that too will influence real estate prices in Spain for say a swiss buyer, or a British buyer, a Russian, a Chinese etc. but those guys (except Brits) most likely look for luxury properties, not the EUR 200,000 typical apart or family house with a pool. so it won't matter much. and since so many got burned with illegal sales too...

It's very easy to act like an expert about things that haven't happened yet

If you actually know this, then put all your savings on it, you could become a multi-millionaire

EMR Nov 20th 2013 4:17 pm

I agree all those who believe that the Euro is going to hell in a basket should sell their Spanish etc properties now.
Convert to Sterling dollars etc and then when the crash happens buy them back for a fraction or of what the sold for.
Somehow I do not think that they really believe in what they are posting.
Me I am going to buy a lottery ticket .

sam54140 Nov 20th 2013 4:34 pm

well don't you think European companies would like a weaker euro ?
they are at a disadvantage vs US and chinese cpies who CAN devaluate their currencies at will. that's all.
now ECB gives negative rates on the Euro btw...
all this will have also an influence on real estate prices and possibly, again, an advantage for British people if the GBP gets back some of its older strength on the euro should they want to buy a property in Spain.
as for timing of all this, good luck. but let's not say it can't happen.

crookesey Nov 20th 2013 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 11000034)
It's very easy to act like an expert about things that haven't happened yet

If you actually know this, then put all your savings on it, you could become a multi-millionaire

No this sort of investment doesn't make multi millionaires, I recall reading about a guy who bought very big into British Rubber, just before AIDS came to the front and condom sales went global, any ideas guys?

I have problems with property, having several, they are costly to maintain and can be difficult to sell, unlike, precious metals, art and shares.

guirijohn Nov 20th 2013 7:51 pm

According to Registradores.org foreigners bought 16,217 homes in Spain in the first six months of 2013. The British came first with 2,357 completions, Russians were second with 1,418 and the Chinese bought 519. What we do not know is how many sales there were by these nationalities and therefore whether there were more buyers than sellers.

These are small numbers of purchases in the context of the total number of unsold homes. In particular the idea that Russians and Chinese are snapping up homes seems exaggerated, probably a marketing ploy to encourage the British.

Longlegpete Nov 21st 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 10998656)
A two-tier question, really.... are houses really selling and at what drop on the prices they're advertised at? And do most houses still sell through estate agents or has t'internet scuppered that by way of private website/blog sales or online 'agencies'?
Yes we're talking about selling, but then we've talked about selling virtually since the 2nd year after buying!
It just strikes me there's a lot of smoke and mirrors and we all know houses remain unsold for ages..............so those that DO eventually change hands, how?!!

We are thinking about buying an apartment down the road from where we have a house just as a rental/investment for later years, we made an appointment with two agents to see 12 or so apartments when we were over next, in the two weeks between making the appointments and viewing, two of the places had been sold, the ones that sell are priced correctly for the market, there are plenty of people looking but as with us they all want a good deal/location etc