Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hot Water Systems

Hot Water Systems

Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hot Water Systems

Advice please, do Spanish plumbing systems normally have the hot water tank directly fed from the main?

Problem we are having is the tank is venting when the water gets hot which wouldnt happen in the Uk where there would be a tank reducing the pressure from the main.

Are there any circuit diagrams online showing how these systems are normally plumbed ?

thanks
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:42 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hot Water Systems

Originally Posted by Domino
Advice please, do Spanish plumbing systems normally have the hot water tank directly fed from the main?

Problem we are having is the tank is venting when the water gets hot which wouldnt happen in the Uk where there would be a tank reducing the pressure from the main.

Are there any circuit diagrams online showing how these systems are normally plumbed ?

thanks
This any good?

http://www.google.es/search?q=hot+wa...w=1024&bih=497
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:47 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

in the Uk where there would be a tank reducing the pressure from the main
Must be a while since you lived in the UK?

FYI: http://www.boilerguide.co.uk/article...eating-systems
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:55 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Thank you mouse, its a start I suppose, the (electric) heater is in the basement, fed from direct water main from street, keeps boiling over and flooding basement. can't get my head round a system without a tank to calm down the pressure, but then I suppose it wouldnt have the pressure to feed the grnd and 1str floor bathrooms.

the landlord says they don't fit timers on it either, so its either on or off dependent on whether or not we go down to the basement to switch on\off

won't be able to see it for a couple ofweeks but its driving the BH nuts at the moment.

rgds
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by missile
Must be a while since you lived in the UK?

FYI: http://www.boilerguide.co.uk/article...eating-systems
i am in the uk as I type, and we have a tank tween the mains and the hot water cylinder. Which is fairly standard.
I note that both the systems shown in your reference are for central heating not for hot water system but both have a tank.........
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:28 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Our electric heated tank is feed from the mains (as most are here), when it reaches a set temperature it stops heating and will remain static until the temperature falls, or you demand water, when the cycle starts again.
No drips/leaks etc and there should not be any either (to my mind) unless the internal thermostat becomes faulty when I guess it will heat the water so much it reaches boiling point and will attempt to exit as yours is doing.

Or you simply have a leak.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

i am in the uk as I type, and we have a tank tween the mains and the hot water cylinder. Which is fairly standard.
I note that both the systems shown in your reference are for central heating not for hot water system but both have a tank.........
There are three systems described in my link.
â– A combi boiler heats water on demand requiring no tanks
â– High pressure systems
These systems supply mains pressure hot water
â– Conentional Gravity Fed systems often comes from a feed tank or expansion tank

In the UK (and spain) modern systems are fed from the mains. Only the older gravity fed heating systems require a storage tank.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Turn the thermostat down and see if it shuts down, perhaps it needs replacing.
Also you could buy a timer plugin and put between the supply and the water heater.

Last edited by jdr; Nov 22nd 2011 at 7:57 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:15 am

Thanks for the responses, this is the first time we have encountered a direct system - despite the protestations, there are millions of in-direct systems in the UK and they are all we have ever encountered.

Remember, I am in uk and BH is Spain where the system is, so at the moment I am trying to solve a problem I cannot see and touch.

it is a new house, new system and the landlord left the system on max temp.
It has been turned down twice and still overflows (vents).
BH asked landlord to fit a timer but he said "No, thats not what we do".

One thing I have noted is that the UK requires regular checks of these pressurised systems - is that the same in the UK or is it a thing no one worries about ?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:15 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses, this is the first time we have encountered a direct system - despite the protestations, there are millions of in-direct systems in the UK and they are all we have ever encountered.

Remember, I am in uk and BH is Spain where the system is, so at the moment I am trying to solve a problem I cannot see and touch.

it is a new house, new system and the landlord left the system on max temp.
It has been turned down twice and still overflows (vents).
BH asked landlord to fit a timer but he said "No, thats not what we do".

One thing I have noted is that the UK requires regular checks of these pressurised systems - is that the same in the UK or is it a thing no one worries about ?

The concept of 'Health and Safety' doesn't really seem to exist in Spain.

They make feeble attempts at it, but when push comes to shove, it gets ignored!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The concept of 'Health and Safety' doesn't really seem to exist in Spain.

They make feeble attempts at it, but when push comes to shove, it gets ignored!
and yet despite that the headquarters of all EU H&S is at ......

European Agency for Safety and Health at Work
Gran Via 33
E-48009 Bilbao, Spain
Tel: + 34 944-794-360
Fax: + 34 944-794-383
Web: http://osha.europa.eu
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice

A bit off the subject but in the same vein. I need to replace my outdoor gas water heater and have found a few advertised and offering different size/capacity of 5ltr / 10ltr as Iam not in Spain until the weekend anyone any idea what capacity I should be looking for. 3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Kitchen, Living room, Dinning room. Thanks Stuart.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley
A bit off the subject but in the same vein. I need to replace my outdoor gas water heater and have found a few advertised and offering different size/capacity of 5ltr / 10ltr as Iam not in Spain until the weekend anyone any idea what capacity I should be looking for. 3 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Kitchen, Living room, Dinning room. Thanks Stuart.
I know your not out there - but that is my problem as well - but you need to know what size the existing heater is.
a 10l may not fit in the gap of a 5l ...

even getting someone (?) to take the physical measurements would help you

rgds
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice

Will do, but their is plenty of space around the original one.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:09 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley
Will do, but their is plenty of space around the original one.
In that case at least an 11ltr item as that is the max it will supply, I went for a Bosch (Junkers here in Spain) 18ltr and would have had the 21 if it was in stock at the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.