Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hot Water Bottle?

Hot Water Bottle?

Old Mar 29th 2018, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hot Water Bottle?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I like them all!

Whatever takes your fancy at the time - and e.g after food. A nice grappa works too, which I prefer after e.g Italian food. I have a Nonino at 50% and a Barolo based one - both are delicious digestifs. All these can be drunk in any geography. We always try and stock Fernet Branca as well, an acquired taste, but hard to get in Spain/Portugal. A nice VSOP / XO is good too - anywhere.

FYI though off-topic I buy most of my alcoholic drinks from Buy Wine, Liqueurs and Spirits | Buy Online at GrauOnline.com (no commercial connection)

Even with the delivery charges it is so convenient to get home delivery and the prices are great, with a good choice. Delivery charges come in 'chunks' not per bottle, so you can play with the quantities in the shopping cart till you get the best value for money re delivery costs. I do this once a year and have a 'stock'.

BTW: However living in ME, its hard (impossible?) to feel confident about home delivery, for packages. In Belgium we have an alternate delivery address, a local shop that get a commission for holding my order. This way the delivery company deliver once and so also save money, and I pick up at my convenience. It would be great if the GC or shop offered this service.

Jon
That's sounds good John. Here in the 'good old UK' we accumulate quite a few bottles of wine via the offers from M&S. They do meal deals for 2 (£10) which also include a free bottle of wine (average value £7). We live on these so as you can imageine our wine rack is full to over flowing. Cheers, 🍷
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:38 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
That's sounds good John. Here in the 'good old UK' we accumulate quite a few bottles of wine via the offers from M&S. They do meal deals for 2 (£10) which also include a free bottle of wine (average value £7). We live on these so as you can imageine our wine rack is full to over flowing. Cheers, 🍷
Gosh that's a stonker of a deal, better than the 'menu dal dias' over in ESP/PT. Might even get me out of Wetherspoons when visiting the UK !

Though I think, with us, the empty wine bottle would be returned with the empty plates

Hoping the weather improves for your upcoming trip.

Jon
Old Mar 29th 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
I like them all!

Whatever takes your fancy at the time - and e.g after food. A nice grappa works too, which I prefer after e.g Italian food. I have a Nonino at 50% and a Barolo based one - both are delicious digestifs. All these can be drunk in any geography. We always try and stock Fernet Branca as well, an acquired taste, but hard to get in Spain/Portugal. A nice VSOP / XO is good too - anywhere.

FYI though off-topic I buy most of my alcoholic drinks from Buy Wine, Liqueurs and Spirits | Buy Online at GrauOnline.com (no commercial connection)

Even with the delivery charges it is so convenient to get home delivery and the prices are great, with a good choice. Delivery charges come in 'chunks' not per bottle, so you can play with the quantities in the shopping cart till you get the best value for money re delivery costs. I do this once a year and have a 'stock'.

BTW: However living in ME, its hard (impossible?) to feel confident about home delivery, for packages. In Belgium we have an alternate delivery address, a local shop that get a commission for holding my order. This way the delivery company deliver once and so also save money, and I pick up at my convenience. It would be great if the GC or shop offered this service.

Jon
Notice you mention Fernet Branca as being an 'acquired taste'. Well, back in 1966 I was on holiday with my parents in Italy. My poor mother developed a rather horrible tummy bug while we were there and this was something that the barman suggested she try to help counteract it. I can remember clearly the look on her face when she drank it 😝
Old Mar 30th 2018, 7:14 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Notice you mention Fernet Branca as being an 'acquired taste'. Well, back in 1966 I was on holiday with my parents in Italy. My poor mother developed a rather horrible tummy bug while we were there and this was something that the barman suggested she try to help counteract it. I can remember clearly the look on her face when she drank it 😝
Yes that's the normal reaction. I hear 'ugh tastes like cough medicine' a lot. Italians swear by it for dodgy tums... and I do as well. They even will put it on bruises!

Also a great hangover cure. Which I've offered before and everyone had to agree that it worked. I am lucky that I don't get them.

By now I have come to love the taste and will drink it as a digo. In fact if I had to choose only one - it would be the one strong alcohol I would take on a desert island - along with my discs! The BH has come to love it as well.

I try and always have some at home. I used to get it in the supermarket just along from Topix but its closed now. I try and get a stock if I'm ever in Guia and near one of those booze warehouses. I can sometimes get it at the caraferia (sp) roughly opposite the Guadiana Naval resto in VRSA. Who also have a good selection of Brandies.

Jon
Old Mar 30th 2018, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

So, to get this correct, you put Fernet Branca into the hot water bottle? Does this improve the thermal efficiency?
Old Mar 30th 2018, 9:20 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
So, to get this correct, you put Fernet Branca into the hot water bottle? Does this improve the thermal efficiency?
Ooops Sorry Mike - as the OP you must be wondering where this thread is going to!

It doesn't change the thermal efficiency of the hot water bottle, but take a good swig at night from the hot water bottle ..... then you will warm up immediately and ..... sleep like a babe!

Jon
Old Mar 30th 2018, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Fiberite is an unknown quantity at this point

You used to be able to buy Fernet Branca in English pubs . It came in one shot bottles hanging behind the bar with the scampi fries in a sort of bullet belt. Haven't seen it for years. An aquired taste but good for settling a gippy tummy.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 8:09 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Fiberite
You used to be able to buy Fernet Branca in English pubs . It came in one shot bottles hanging behind the bar with the scampi fries in a sort of bullet belt. Haven't seen it for years. An aquired taste but good for settling a gippy tummy.
Gosh the memory really is failing! I don't remember that at all - and Ive been a fan of Fernet Branca for decades.

I thought those belts had Underberg.... or maybe Jaegermeister.

BTW There is also a Fernet Menta - which is less alcoholic 28% vs 39%. This has a pleasant minty taste for those that don't like the F- Branca.

I suppose you can do a mix of both to get the taste down of the Branca and slowly move to 100% Branca. Like when I first started going to pubs I had lager and lime... and weaned myself off the lime
We keep both. Menta can also be put in the hot water bottle

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Apr 1st 2018 at 8:14 am.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just a small footnote on the French vs Spanish brandy. We visited one of the big name bodegas in Jerez - one that has a number of top brand name brandies in its product range. They showed us how they make Spanish brandy by importing the raw spirit from France and then ageing it in their own casks.
All the local grape harvest goes into the sherry - none goes to the brandy!
Just saying