Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hospitality Industry

Hospitality Industry

Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hospitality Industry

I have just returned from Scotland where I have worked on and off for a number of years. Edinburgh is not bad, but the further north (Dalwhinnie in my case) you go the worse the hospitality industry becomes.
Restaurants shut early, the food is only average, the prices high (London at least) and the hotels(?) below standards you would expect.

My question is this:-

Do different regions of Spain suffer in the same way? I only ask this as I intend to travel around Spain but have no wish to be treated as an inconvenience.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hospitality north of Watford?

I would agree there is not much in Dalwhinnie. Where did you work and where else have you been?

There are many very good hotels and restaurants all over the UK.

I have stayed at many first class hotels north of Edinburgh. For example @ the Dunblane Hydro you can have Sunday lunch by Scotland's top chef for £17.95
Old Nov 1st 2010, 7:48 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hospitality Industry

I'm surprised to hear that hotels are expensive in Scotland. I've normally found prices there to be good value, but I admit I've not stayed on the East coast - maybe Aberdeen and the oil industry distort that market?
Of course London and the South-East have expensive hotels too - I imagine you'd find somewhere like Barcelona the same. If you're going to be travelling around Spain I'd suggest going for a hostal (think bed-and-breakfast, but without breakfast) but make sure you choose a 2 or 3 star hostal at least. The cheapest hostals are cheap for a reason (and maybe should be avoided), but some of the better hostals are really good value. Plus, you'll pay more if there's a feria taking place, and if you travel peak season. Where are you thinking of going?
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hospitality north of Watford?

[QUOTE=missile;8955078]I would agree there is not much in Dalwhinnie. Where did you work and where else have you been?
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...l/19733560.jpg

There are many very good hotels and restaurants all over the UK.

I have stayed at many first class hotels north of Edinburgh. For example @ the Dunblane Hydro you can have Sunday lunch by Scotland's top chef for £17.95
[QUOTE]

Over the years I have stayed in many places in the UK on business, and yes there are many first class hotels, however when you drop below that level some of the hotels have a lot to be desired especially when it comes to service. Its just that when I go to the Highlands I get the feeling that the customer is a hindrance and that the quality to price ratio is far worse than elsewhere.
On my recent visit the central heating in my room was off and I got fed 'Brakes Bros' fish and chips at twice the price it should have been. Just to top it of the Guiness was flat and when I complained (something I rarely do) I was accused of being fussy.
Perhaps it was a bad day and I am a grumpy old man!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 8:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

On my recent visit the central heating in my room was off and I got fed 'Brakes Bros' fish and chips at twice the price it should have been
I have to admit that when I stayed in business hotels, the food was generally to be avoided, MalMaison being an honourable exception. The worst place I stayed at for food was Marriotts, but we're talking nearly 10 years ago, so things may have changed. Generally if you're in a decent sized city you're better off searching for a local eating-place. On the other hand at least you can get a decent breakfast in most of those expensive hotel places, even if they screw up everything else.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:35 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Over the years I have stayed in many places in the UK on business, and yes there are many first class hotels, however when you drop below that level some of the hotels have a lot to be desired especially when it comes to service. Its just that when I go to the Highlands I get the feeling that the customer is a hindrance and that the quality to price ratio is far worse than elsewhere.
On my recent visit the central heating in my room was off and I got fed 'Brakes Bros' fish and chips at twice the price it should have been. Just to top it of the Guiness was flat and when I complained (something I rarely do) I was accused of being fussy.
Perhaps it was a bad day and I am a grumpy old man!
I am sure you can find good and bad wherever. I have always found a warm welcome when on holiday in Scotland. Who can identify this popular wedding venue as favoured by ........ those much richer than I?

On a more modest budget. http://www.ashandnicgethitched.co.uk/blog/venue/getting-there/>
Like to guess how much B&B is here?

Last edited by missile; Nov 1st 2010 at 9:52 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Well I'm a Scot and lived in a popular tourist spot for many years before moving to Spain. Hand on heart I have to say that my experience of staying in hotels and eating out has generally been better in here.

You can certainly get a good quality meal much more cheaply here and the staff tend to be local and regard their jobs as worthwhile. Many of staff in local restaurants here have worked there for years. In contrast most staff in the places I knew in Scotland were students and/or foreigners - only there for the season. I knew one business that went out of its way to hire locals and train them. That was the most popular restaurant in the area as the food was of a high quality and the service excellent. No boxes from Brake Bros there but I did see their van delivering to just about every where else.

Having said that we once rather stupidly went to one of those on the seafront tourist trap restaurants. The food was over priced, of poor quality and they charged extra for things like bread which you normally get anyway. The waiter wanted to practice his english and wouldn't leave us alone. Not a good experience.

Wherever you travel there are good and bad places. Best try to find out where the locals go.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:33 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have just returned from Scotland where I have worked on and off for a number of years. Edinburgh is not bad, but the further north (Dalwhinnie in my case) you go the worse the hospitality industry becomes.
Restaurants shut early, the food is only average, the prices high (London at least) and the hotels(?) below standards you would expect.

My question is this:-

Do different regions of Spain suffer in the same way? I only ask this as I intend to travel around Spain but have no wish to be treated as an inconvenience.

Sorry I could not generalise service levels and costs that would cover the whole of Spain.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I am sure you can find good and bad wherever. I have always found a warm welcome when on holiday in Scotland. Who can identify this popular wedding venue as favoured by ........ those much richer than I?http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...e-by-night.jpg

On a more modest budget. http://www.ashandnicgethitched.co.uk/blog/venue/getting-there/>
http://www.ashandnicgethitched.co.uk...ges/castle.jpg Like to guess how much B&B is here?
Skibo Castle.