Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Home comforts - Prices

Home comforts - Prices

Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:07 am
Just Joined

pff001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home comforts - Prices

Where is the cheapest place in Spain to buy English food products such as Branston pickle, HP sauce, Typhoo tea, Heinz baked beans etc etc.

The only place i know of is Overseas.es / Iceland which is very expensive for non perishable food products. Is there any cheaper alternatives ?

Is there any wholesalers that supply direct to the shops and restaurants, i seem to remember one in the Quesada are but I can not for the life of me remember the name.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:20 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home comforts - Prices

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Heinz Baked Beans and HP sauce are readily available in Carrefour and Mercadonna even in non ex-pat areas.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pff001
Where is the cheapest place in Spain to buy English food products such as Branston pickle, HP sauce, Typhoo tea, Heinz baked beans etc etc.

The only place i know of is Overseas.es / Iceland which is very expensive for non perishable food products. Is there any cheaper alternatives ?

Is there any wholesalers that supply direct to the shops and restaurants, i seem to remember one in the Quesada are but I can not for the life of me remember the name.
Carrefour usually have a good stock of UK foods. and there are usually some British shops in every area. Many of the other supermarkets also have some UK foods, especially if you are in an Ex-pat area.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the replies so far.
I do know of many places that sell UK food products but they all seem very expensive such as Overseas, Johnsons, Kwik Save etc etc.

Is there any place cheaper out there ?
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:52 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Iceland is no more expensive than you would expect for a company selling imported foods.

It will be pretty much the same for most outlets. If you want imported food you will always pay a premium for it.

If you want to see an example of the additional costs involved then Overseas SL have published this interesting answer.

http://overseas.es/aboutUs/6
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:59 am
Just Joined

There has got to be a business opportunity in selling imported food products then if Overseas is the cheapest out there.

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 21st 2013 at 7:29 am. Reason: No advertising companies here please
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:05 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for the replies so far.
I do know of many places that sell UK food products but they all seem very expensive such as Overseas, Johnsons, Kwik Save etc etc.

Is there any place cheaper out there ?
Ex-Pats advertises as being cheaper than Icelands. They are between Benidorm and Villajoyosa on the old N332 and are a large cash-and-carry.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:13 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Ex-Pats advertises as being cheaper than Icelands. They are between Benidorm and Villajoyosa on the old N332 and are a large cash-and-carry.
Try this

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

There has got to be a business opportunity in selling imported food products then if Overseas is the cheapest out there.

For example HP sauce 255g bottle in Overseas is 2.25 and it can be bought for as little as 63p here in the UK. Even with the exchange rate and cost to ship the products out there that leaves plenty of profit in it
There probably is, and its been done to death. Theres a good reason why the Brit Shops are expensive in Spain. Its because the cost of getting the stuff here from the UK has to be built in.

If people want to live in Spain and buy british foods all the time then they have to pay the price, whereas if you look around there is often a Spanish equivalent which is much cheaper
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

This looks to me like someone doing a bit of "market research" .

However without being out here on the ground it is very difficult to get a real feel for the market and the prices.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

For example HP sauce 255g bottle in Overseas is 2.25 and it can be bought for as little as 63p here in the UK. Even with the exchange rate and cost to ship the products out there that leaves plenty of profit in it
You'd have to sell a lot of HP sauce to make a decent profit. You can't just look at the cost of a single item, shipping and exchange rate differences. What about distribution costs, and at the end of the day the amount of demand. I wouldn't be starting a business doing this now.

I go to Iceland about once every 8 weeks (and I buy the Branston). To be honest, if I want Branston, I'm prepared to pay a small premium, and they don't sell it in the spanish supermarket I normally use. Their tea bags are the cheapest around, even when they're not on offer (which they are frequently anyway). Some of their items are expensive, and you can get them cheaper elsewhere. To take an example, Heinz baked beans are cheaper in Mercadona. There are other examples, but they also sell products that you can't buy anywhere else.

Having said all that, there is no doubt that the spanish supermarkets are changing their offerings, and now we buy most things from them, even at a small premium to Iceland, as its a 50km round trip to Iceland, so its not worth it, and I've got better things to do than worry about saving 50 cents or so.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 7:31 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm closing this. If the OP wants it re opened, they will have to contact me or Fred James