Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Differences in street life - UK and Spain

Differences in street life - UK and Spain

Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:28 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Differences in street life - UK and Spain

With the onset of hot weather in the UK, here in London we're starting to notice that smell I'd only associated previously with Med towns - which I assume comes from underground dried out sewers...
Starting to see even men carrying bottles of water around too...
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences in street life - UK and Spain

Can't say I've noticed any guys with bottles of water Stevie, though each to his own I suppose.

Seems like skimpy Hotpants are back in fashion bigtime in the local high streets.

Kinda makes driving a tad hazardous at times.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on, streetlife... are we talking prostitutes here?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:40 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Now I was trying to recall where I'd last seen such sights before.

Having jogged my memory it does kind of of remind me of certain roundabouts and service areas in Spain.

Home from home, innit ?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 1:03 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Heh...they keep trying to stop phone boxes being filled with those postcards advertising "services" here in London, but they always come back... Almost a tradition - like the "Relax" adverts in Spanish papers.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:01 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Heh...they keep trying to stop phone boxes being filled with those postcards advertising "services" here in London, but they always come back... Almost a tradition - like the "Relax" adverts in Spanish papers.
Or the prostitution classes in Spanish schools?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:12 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Or the prostitution classes in Spanish schools?
Not seen that!
Dick Windbag and Aggy would surely be linking to that daily once they found out!

But back to the original point, one thing we could do with now in the hot spell is the nightly hosing down of city streets, to get rid of the dust. Although I see it happens in Belfast, for a different reason..
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:17 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea bring the water cannon over and use them to water down those areas popular with the " pond life ". They have to be in residence of course.
The Roumanian gypsy camp in central london would be a very popular place to start for local residents and DM readers.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by EMR
Great idea bring the water cannon over and use them to water down those areas popular with the " pond life ". They have to be in residence of course.
The Roumanian gypsy camp in central london would be a very popular place to start for local residents and DM readers.
In the current heat a lot of locals would welcome a good hosing..
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:49 pm
Straw Man.

Not seen that!
Dick Windbag and Aggy would surely be linking to that daily once they found out!

But back to the original point, one thing we could do with now in the hot spell is the nightly hosing down of city streets, to get rid of the dust. Although I see it happens in Belfast, for a different reason..
Ok... "in Spanish schools..." may have been a bit of a stretch but yep, sadly it's true....(ish)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1913205.html
Old Jul 18th 2013, 3:06 pm
On the road again.

Little wonder the Spanish guys can't afford to feed their wives and bairns, they must be spending most of their money on prossies, judging by the numbers that are doing business.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose street life depends on the where and when, and doesn't have to be about pros and Rumanian tea leaves.

At eight o'clock this morning where I live it was really quiet apart from dog walkers and the alkies sitting in a Spanish cafe for their morning eye openers. (I had the dog).

Unfortunately I had three hours in the boiling sun in town this afternoon, and not through choice. Traffic was at a standstill and there were no parking places. People were shouting and an elderly Spanish lady whacked her husband with a sun brolly when he didn't get on a pedestrian crossing quick enough. She probably saved his life because the Spanish drivers were not taking prisoners.

I only shouted once, but at the wrong person.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 5:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by HBG
I suppose street life depends on the where and when, and doesn't have to be about pros and Rumanian tea leaves.

At eight o'clock this morning where I live it was really quiet apart from dog walkers and the alkies sitting in a Spanish cafe for their morning eye openers. (I had the dog).

Unfortunately I had three hours in the boiling sun in town this afternoon, and not through choice. Traffic was at a standstill and there were no parking places. People were shouting and an elderly Spanish lady whacked her husband with a sun brolly when he didn't get on a pedestrian crossing quick enough. She probably saved his life because the Spanish drivers were not taking prisoners.

I only shouted once, but at the wrong person.
I have the privilege of living in London so perhaps I see more traffic snarl-ups and selfish driving than than most. It's still the case though that people are less likely to start pipping their horns than the Med equivalents when the slightest delay arises... As for the alkies in a Spanish cafe on a morning - years back I used to be amazed at that. Less so nowadays when I see Wetherspoons filled with a similar crowd drinking pints as soon as the place opens...
Old Jul 18th 2013, 7:00 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I have the privilege of living in London so perhaps I see more traffic snarl-ups and selfish driving than than most. It's still the case though that people are less likely to start pipping their horns than the Med equivalents when the slightest delay arises... As for the alkies in a Spanish cafe on a morning - years back I used to be amazed at that. Less so nowadays when I see Wetherspoons filled with a similar crowd drinking pints as soon as the place opens...
Before Whetherspoons and the 24 hour law you had Smithfield and Borough markets open during the night and early mornings, as well as thousands of pubs doing 'befores' as well as 'afters'.

For obvious reasons, Smithfield was the place for a giant steak in the middle of the night and it used to be full of the theatre crowd, the actors. And some hard-faced people best avoided.

And Brick Lane for a curry, a real one? Christ, I'm getting homesick.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 7:12 pm
Straw Man.

These guys look nice and friendly.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.