Hola

Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:10 am
Just Joined

vidaloca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hola

Hello, I'm just introducing myself. My name's Gemma and I currently live in Madrid, with my husband and daughter who is 4. We have been here since April and my daughter is going to a school that does 50/50 English and Spanish (although she is struggling with the Spanish a bit) and we are also doing our best at learning the lingo! I don't work, we moved here with my Dh's job and are here for a minimum of 2 years.
I am quite a bit homesick at the moment with the usual missing family and friends and am expecting a baby in May bit of a shock but pleased none the less.
Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Gem
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hola

Originally Posted by vidaloca
Hello, I'm just introducing myself. My name's Gemma and I currently live in Madrid, with my husband and daughter who is 4. We have been here since April and my daughter is going to a school that does 50/50 English and Spanish (although she is struggling with the Spanish a bit) and we are also doing our best at learning the lingo! I don't work, we moved here with my Dh's job and are here for a minimum of 2 years.
I am quite a bit homesick at the moment with the usual missing family and friends and am expecting a baby in May bit of a shock but pleased none the less.

Gem
Welcome on board and welcome to Spain.

It can seem a bit daunting but it does get better - believe me.

Your daughter will take a while to feel comfortable with the language. Here in the Valencia region, you have to learn both Spanish and Valencian. It took my children over a year before they felt 'reasonably' happy with the language. You'd be surprised how much they will pick up in the playground - ours did anyway.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.You will settle over time and when you are able to find your way around a bit more.

Weve been here over two years now and are still settling in.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gemma, hope you settle in ok.
Just remember to take the rough with the smooth and you'll be alright.
We're all good soles at heart really,...aren't we.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Gem
As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Hi Gemma, hope you settle in ok.
Just remember to take the rough with the smooth and you'll be alright.
We're all good soles at heart really,...aren't we.
No...some are just soles.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:17 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
No...some are just soles.

Prefixed with the letter R, i presume.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your welcomes It's really good to see that there are people on here in a similar boat and willing to give advice. I'm currently experiencing a bit of culture shock although I am not sure which stage I am going through now Other than that life here is good and people are great in general (apart from their driving!) It gets a bit hairy behind the wheel here Gem
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your welcomes It's really good to see that there are people on here in a similar boat and willing to give advice. I'm currently experiencing a bit of culture shock although I am not sure which stage I am going through now Other than that life here is good and people are great in general (apart from their driving!) It gets a bit hairy behind the wheel here Gem
Welcome to Spain and welcome to Madrid.

As a Spaniard who has lived in Madrid all his life, it will be a honour to me to help you with any cultural issues you may face and answer any questions about our culture and about how to live in Madrid and not perish in the attempt. And indeed I'll be glad to help you and your husband to polish your Spanish and to improve your fluency.

I make extent this offer to all BE's living in Madrid, of course.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid is notoriously bad for driving. Makes Andalucia seem like a walk in the park!

Barcelona by contrast was very easy for driving, the Catalans must be more chilled
Old Oct 21st 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Gemma, am sure you will settle in and enjoy your time here,congratulations for the new baby due in May.

pwwm
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JuanSolo
Welcome to Spain and welcome to Madrid.

As a Spaniard who has lived in Madrid all his life, it will be a honour to me to help you with any cultural issues you may face and answer any questions about our culture and about how to live in Madrid and not perish in the attempt. And indeed I'll be glad to help you and your husband to polish your Spanish and to improve your fluency.

I make extent this offer to all BE's living in Madrid, of course.
Oh, I'm sorry! I meant anywhere! We all live in the 'global village', not in the 'yellow submarine' anymore!

In Madrid is easier to do face to face but using Skype I have achieved great results with expats living in the coast.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Juan we need all the help we can get. We are at the six month stage and it is quite tricky, and moving on to the dreaded past tenses!!

We noticed that the driving in Valencia was definitely more chilled. I think it's big city driving!
Gem x
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:17 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum, I've just moved from Madrid but was there for 3 years and loved it. I'm sure you'll like it as well, lots to see and do all the time.

Just thought, may have to change my username now lol.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:20 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Hello and welcome to the forum, I've just moved from Madrid but was there for 3 years and loved it. I'm sure you'll like it as well, lots to see and do all the time.

Just thought, may have to change my username now lol.
would you be looking for opinions as to what it might be?

'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.