Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone + A small dish is now enough for BBC News 24 and BBC Radio

Hi everyone + A small dish is now enough for BBC News 24 and BBC Radio

Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:14 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi everyone + A small dish is now enough for BBC News 24 and BBC Radio

Originally Posted by valenciatim
You taking the p?
Tim

No actually I've been having a nightmare of late getting a signal on a Draft N router to go through TWO walls!! not alone 10km

Conclusion Draft-N is a load of old nonsense so went back to my normal router and tho the signal wasn't full it was enough!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi everyone + A small dish is now enough for BBC News 24 and BBC Radio

Originally Posted by zel

No actually I've been having a nightmare of late getting a signal on a Draft N router to go through TWO walls!! not alone 10km

Conclusion Draft-N is a load of old nonsense so went back to my normal router and tho the signal wasn't full it was enough!
Some of my customers are getting really crap signals, but the beauty seems to be, no matter how strong the signal is, as long as they get it, it works!
Tim
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

tarn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Still doesnt make any sense...Unless your talking about connecting to a Slingbox
You make a home network. You get an ADSL contract in Spain so you could reach out somehow. You make your home network one with the home network of some cousin back in Liverpool.

Your cousin happens to have ADSL service with a British ISP, so they could both link their part of the home network with your part, and get to the BBC services for everybody in the home network.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:21 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tarn
You make a home network. You get an ADSL contract in Spain so you could reach out somehow. You make your home network one with the home network of some cousin back in Liverpool.

Your cousin happens to have ADSL service with a British ISP, so they could both link their part of the home network with your part, and get to the BBC services for everybody in the home network.
Bit of a long winded way of getting the service from the bbc.

Can someone tell me when Sir `Trevor MacDonald Died, i know Carol Barnes died but im at a loss to find any info on the death of Trev.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Mar 30th 2008 at 12:29 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Long winded? The BBC server sees a UK IP address at point A, you have point B in Spain, you have to make B pose as A by some means.

Neither IP nor graph theory could get any simpler!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone tell me when Sir `Trevor MacDonald Died, i know Carol Barnes died but im at a loss to find any info on the death of Trev.
I dont think he did, my mistake mixing up over the bernard manning thing
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Tarn, please read my other posts on this thread, I AM a Wireless ISP here in Spain, I do know what I am talking about!
Tim
Sorry, the discussion got somewhat lively so I was trigger-happy back then.

All was about your assertion And then only really on if it is proper ADSL or cable and Not a Wifi connection.

I suppose we agree what really matters here is not the access (Be it ADSL or WiFi) but the capacity of the backhaul connection.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tarn
Sorry, the discussion got somewhat lively so I was trigger-happy back then.

All was about your assertion And then only really on if it is proper ADSL or cable and Not a Wifi connection.

I suppose we agree what really matters here is not the access (Be it ADSL or WiFi) but the capacity of the backhaul connection.
To clarify, I was talking about a shared Wifi connection as is found in some areas of the campo. Streaming video or p2p absolutely kills the available shared bandwidth.
Tim
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

To clarify, I was talking about a shared Wifi connection as is found in some areas of the campo. Streaming video or p2p absolutely kills the available shared bandwidth.
Tim
Way back in 1994 the hype for 802.11-1997 was 4 Mbps aggregated throughput in an office. I wouldn't say the problem lies on WiFi as opposed to ADSL, but the radio conditions. An ADSL ISP might make you pay for 1 Mbps and make you struggle with 200kbps all round the clock.

In any case, if I had to rely on a 10km link I would go for helping my installation with an offset reflector dish. Not for awarding me more bandwidth -The ISP might have had their budget done anyway- but for making the installation more resilient to MW ovens and new neighoburs.