Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help Requested With Repossession Property

Help Requested With Repossession Property

Old Jan 8th 2020, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

XxRICKYxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help Requested With Repossession Property

Hi, I’m new to this but we are not getting very far with a property we are interested in buying so here goes;

Following my wife’s life changing Cancer treatment we have decided that long term the goal would be to move to Spain. The weather better suits here situation with her breathing (now neck breather).

My wife is still only in her 30’s and we have 3 boys 16, 13 and 11 so we would struggle to make a permanent move right now with school and exams so are trying to think ahead.

long story short we have found a property online we like the look of and it is in an area close to Cambrils where we have already visited several time for holiday and just for property searches.

The problem we seem to have is that the property is bank owned and also we gather there maybe some issues with the local council with it not being or at least part of it legal!

as we are still learning Spanish I can’t understand all the messages on the calls I make to the council or the local agents non of whom seem to answer so

my question is - has anyone had a similar issue or bought a similar property? and does anyone here know a contact in Tarragona who speaks good English/Spanish that I could use to mediate?

Nobody can provide photos of inside the property as they don’t have keys so it would not make sense to fly over again to see it and I thought I would see if I get any response on here before I make a decision to leave alone or keep trying...

kind regards
Ricky
Old Jan 8th 2020, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Requested With Repossession Property

Originally Posted by XxRICKYxX
Hi, I’m new to this but we are not getting very far with a property we are interested in buying so here goes;

Following my wife’s life changing Cancer treatment we have decided that long term the goal would be to move to Spain. The weather better suits here situation with her breathing (now neck breather).

My wife is still only in her 30’s and we have 3 boys 16, 13 and 11 so we would struggle to make a permanent move right now with school and exams so are trying to think ahead.

long story short we have found a property online we like the look of and it is in an area close to Cambrils where we have already visited several time for holiday and just for property searches.

The problem we seem to have is that the property is bank owned and also we gather there maybe some issues with the local council with it not being or at least part of it legal!

as we are still learning Spanish I can’t understand all the messages on the calls I make to the council or the local agents non of whom seem to answer so

my question is - has anyone had a similar issue or bought a similar property? and does anyone here know a contact in Tarragona who speaks good English/Spanish that I could use to mediate?

Nobody can provide photos of inside the property as they don’t have keys so it would not make sense to fly over again to see it and I thought I would see if I get any response on here before I make a decision to leave alone or keep trying...

kind regards
Ricky
Two issues here with quite different solution .

1. Bank repossession - so many of these it is not difficult to buy . We did this several years ago with our apartment . Typically the owners failed to keep their mortgage up to date as the value of the property slumped and the mortgage exceeded the property value . Now the property value may have increased slightly but that will need checking . Normally the bank will have all the paperwork in good shape so your lawyer ( you must have a local lawyer and NOT one recommended by the selling agency ) can check everything is in order with the repossession and the sale offer.
2. Local council issues not a good sign if property has been built without the correct licences. Every property has a "habitation licence" and if the Council has not granted this sterr well clear as it will impact on connecting to basic utlities - gas, water, electricity , telephone. If it is the case that the previous owner failed to pay their annual taxes ( rates ) more easy to solve but that means you will get stuck with the extra bill .

Unless you are really confident and have the money I would steer clear there will be other properties without any of the hassle.

Last edited by Loafing Along; Jan 8th 2020 at 4:42 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 8th 2020, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information, unfortunately as I don’t speak Spanish yet I am unable to confirm what the situation is with the local council. I have tried to call them but each time there is a long message in Spanish which I don’t understand so have been unable to discuss the property with them in order to find out what the actual and current council stance is with the property.

As the agent does not have a key or photos of the inside it is tricky to decide to get a local lawyer to find this out for us as the expense maybe pointless if the council have the property as illegal lol catch 22 I guess.

feel like I should fly out, take a look through the windows and then try and speak with someone face to face at the council?

we have been looking now for 8 months and this is only the 3rd property that would be suitable. So it is frustrating lol.

anyway thanks you so much your information was very helpful.

kind Regards
ricky
Old Jan 8th 2020, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course nobody can help when it comes to the standard of property and you will have to see for youself and use a structural engineer. You will need the Catastral Reference number to check property but with no Spanish you are best of using a lawyer from the start and most will only charge for the search if it turns out to be bad. Loafing Along made some good points but you don't need a local lawyer. You just need a lawyer who knows Spanish law and is registered. I'm not in the UK but I know some people who used this guy in Ireland Spanish Law - Blasco Solicitors & Notary Public I'm sure you'll find similar in the UK. There are plenty of properties for sale, so don't rush.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 8th 2020 at 6:30 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard enough sorting out issues when you live in Spain, it would be a nightmare with you living in the UK. There are tens of thousands of empty properties in Spain and still will be should you decide to leave the UK in the future so forget about this house, you've enough on your plate at the moment without adding more.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys,

advice much appreciated, I would forget about this property if there were in fact many other to choose from however there are not! Well not matching my wife’s needs and our family requirements.

This property looking at it with limited information, photos and using google earth is the right one.

its just typical that there are issues, I will keep trying and have tried to make contact with some lawyers to see if I can pay them to find out the things we need to know.

best regards
ricky
Old Jan 9th 2020, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,

advice much appreciated, I would forget about this property if there were in fact many other to choose from however there are not! Well not matching my wife’s needs and our family requirements.

This property looking at it with limited information, photos and using google earth is the right one.

its just typical that there are issues, I will keep trying and have tried to make contact with some lawyers to see if I can pay them to find out the things we need to know.

best regards
ricky
Of course you might have different needs than others, but on what websites did you search for property? I have been to Cambrils a few times and looking online there does seem to be many properties available. Yes it is not that cheap compared to other parts of Spain but I don't know your budget. We bought a bit further up and our case was different + it was a plot of land. But if you have the location, you can find the Catastral Number here through the map
https://www1.sedecatastro.gob.es/Car....aspx?buscar=S
Old Jan 10th 2020, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,

best regards
ricky
Don't worry, you'll find a lot of lawyers who are only too happy to take your money. Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all, I have been using ThinkSpain and Idealista
Old Jan 12th 2020, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Hnlawyers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ricky
I recommend that you seek advice from an expert conveyancer solicitor in bank properties as you can not only find yourself with IBI debts (council tax) but also with debts with the community of owners, possible building irregularities, problems to register supplies, lack of habitability certificate ...You have to be very careful when you are buying a property repossessed by the bank, but do not be discouraged, these properties are the cheapest you can find and are real bargains, you just have to be properly assisted to avoid Unpleasant surprises.

J. Nieto

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 12th 2020 at 9:27 am. Reason: removed advert aspect
Old Jan 12th 2020, 9:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hnlawyers
Hi Ricky
I recommend that you seek advice from an expert conveyancer solicitor in bank properties as you can not only find yourself with IBI debts (council tax) but also with debts with the community of owners, possible building irregularities, problems to register supplies, lack of habitability certificate ...You have to be very careful when you are buying a property repossessed by the bank, but do not be discouraged, these properties are the cheapest you can find and are real bargains, you just have to be properly assisted to avoid Unpleasant surprises.

J. Nieto

Please contact admin about changing your user name.

Rosemary
Old Jan 12th 2020, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hnlawyers
Hi Ricky

J. Nieto
I would agree with the above. Every repression we looked at had lots of 'extra' costs.
If the property is on a urbanisation the bank will not be paying the community fees, the power and water will almost certainly be off and the IBI in most cases will not have been paid. All or some of these were present when we were looking last year.

And don't believe the 'they are the the cheapest' some of the Banks will insist you take life insurance, buildings cover and other stuff with them or they won't deal with you.

We ended up using a local agent who was recommended by people we know and a family member living in the area we finally brought in.