Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Originally Posted by paulauk
Hi guys. We are thinking in buying a holiday home in spain due to the property prices being so cheap, however I need advice on where is best to buy?

My parents live in Benidorm and I really dont like Benidorm...the tall skyscrapers look terrible and its full of british people.

We have seen property at marbella (which is nice but very expensive to eat out - over priced place is Marbella) and we are going to look at almeria area and costa calida (murcia).

If anyone has feedback on these areas then please advise.

Also is there a crime rate website for areas of spain? Ive heard Torreviecci (sorry cant spell it) is over run with immigrants and crime is bad??? (correct me if I am wrong please). PS Bit like uk if so !!

We would like to be close to the coast - walking distance of an hour is fine. Plenty of spanish bars / restaurants and even the odd english bar. Not a lively resort but must be spanish with a few ex pats.......

Your help is much appreciated xx
I would like to respond as a resident of 'Torreviecci', which definitely wouldn't fit your criteria because we have 146 different nationalities registered at the town hall, all immigrants. Your hour walk to four blue flag beaches would be easily met, but you would be tripping over expats all the way.

I'm not being facetious, but you're looking at the wrong country for what you want.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:30 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulauk
Hi guys. We are thinking in buying a holiday home in spain due to the property prices being so cheap, however I need advice on where is best to buy?

My parents live in Benidorm and I really dont like Benidorm...the tall skyscrapers look terrible and its full of british people.

We have seen property at marbella (which is nice but very expensive to eat out - over priced place is Marbella) and we are going to look at almeria area and costa calida (murcia).

If anyone has feedback on these areas then please advise.

Also is there a crime rate website for areas of spain? Ive heard Torreviecci (sorry cant spell it) is over run with immigrants and crime is bad??? (correct me if I am wrong please). PS Bit like uk if so !!

We would like to be close to the coast - walking distance of an hour is fine. Plenty of spanish bars / restaurants and even the odd english bar. Not a lively resort but must be spanish with a few ex pats.......

Your help is much appreciated xx
I agree with John and Kath - Ayamonte is fantastic - very authentic down in the town and close to Portugal - so you can have the fun of two countries on your doorstep - properties are at a wonderful price there up on Costa Esuri as well and are definately worth a look at (look up Homes and Fincas for ideas on prices) - but we also love Oliva over the other side of Spain too which is near Denia and Javea which are both very beautiful also - it all depends what you are looking for - take your time and have a good look round - if possible try and get on as many short holidays as you can or take a much longer holiday and spend more time travelling around - have fun and enjoy

Could i just say - people please lets not scare another newbie off - lets nuture them xxxxx
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Gandia town has a very Spanish vibe.
45 min flat walk to Gandia beach. Direct train service (50 mins) to valencia.

Last edited by johnnyone; Sep 5th 2012 at 5:55 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple of points for the OP to consider:-

You will not find a town with "the odd English bar" unless said town has a sizaeble number of British tourists, all year round, and/or a sizeable permanent British population. Otherwise they would not stay in business as they would have no customers.

If you are looking for a holiday home that can be "up to one hour's walk from the coast", don't plan on using it in July or August as it's too hot to walk for half an hour, let alone more.

I can't suggest a possible location as I can't think of a single place I've ever been that fits all your criteria.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
i think she might be a he?
What do you think that little pink circle with a cross under it means?
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
I agree with John and Kath - Ayamonte is fantastic - very authentic down in the town and close to Portugal - so you can have the fun of two countries on your doorstep - properties are at a wonderful price there up on Costa Esuri as well and are definately worth a look at (look up Homes and Fincas for ideas on prices) - but we also love Oliva over the other side of Spain too which is near Denia and Javea which are both very beautiful also - it all depends what you are looking for - take your time and have a good look round - if possible try and get on as many short holidays as you can or take a much longer holiday and spend more time travelling around - have fun and enjoy

Could i just say - people please lets not scare another newbie off - lets nuture them xxxxx
I try not to!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Just a couple of points for the OP to consider:-

You will not find a town with "the odd English bar" unless said town has a sizaeble number of British tourists, all year round, and/or a sizeable permanent British population. Otherwise they would not stay in business as they would have no customers.

If you are looking for a holiday home that can be "up to one hour's walk from the coast", don't plan on using it in July or August as it's too hot to walk for half an hour, let alone more.

I can't suggest a possible location as I can't think of a single place I've ever been that fits all your criteria.
The walk from Ayamonte to it's beach at Isla Canal is between 40 mins an 75 mins depending on your walking pace and time of year. All the Spanish who come down for the summer seem to walk regardless of the heat. Although it may reach the mid thirties in Ayamonte it is refreshed by the sea breezes and the inland cities they come from are in the mid forties so they think it is just dandy.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

I live 10 mins drive from Benidorm yet hardly ever visit it you can enjoy the beautiful mountains, charm of old town Altea, Albir etc convenience of Carrefour, + 45 mins from the airport. Benidorm is only a small part of this coast! it does not negate the whole Costa Blanca!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Gandia town has a very Spanish vibe.
45 min flat walk to Gandia beach. Direct train service (50 mins) to valencia.
From Gandia Northwards for two or three hundred kms at least, the resorts and beach areas are predominantly Spanish, mostly very clean, very busy during Spanish holidays and quiet at other times with many pleasant pueblos just a few kms inland.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by searcher48
I live 10 mins drive from Benidorm yet hardly ever visit it you can enjoy the beautiful mountains, charm of old town Altea, Albir etc convenience of Carrefour, + 45 mins from the airport. Benidorm is only a small part of this coast! it does not negate the whole Costa Blanca!
I agree having lived in Albir.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:24 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by searcher48
Benidorm doesn't negate the whole of the Costa Blanca, it created the Costa Blanca - which should be proud to have the biggest holiday resort in the world on its doorstep. As a place to live it will only appeal to a few people, apart from those who work there, tens of thousands of them.

Alfaz to the airport in 45 minutes? Don't be so mean and use the autopista and you'll do it in 25.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
the inland cities they come from are in the mid forties so they think it is just dandy.
I'm sure they do, but the OP is coming from the UK where the temperature is highly unlikely ever to reach the mid-thirties, never mind mid-forties!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

paulauk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys and I am definitely a 'she' lol.

Ok may I apologise for the way my question came across. I dont want to be isolated from brits but I dont want to be in a place like benidorm which is full of tourists and english bars.

We are flying to spain at the end of the month and looking at the following areas: costa calida (murcia), almeria (mojacar) and marbella.

We are looking for a village with plenty of bars restaurants close to the beach which still has a spanish feel.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:58 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Paula, don't worry about it, BE Spain is full of yappy dogs, snapping at the heels but really don't mean any harm.
Can be quite a nice lot really, just that you have to make sure they are well looked after with loads of info or they start at you - and at each other
But as I say, not too bad considering.....

kind regards
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:59 am
Just Joined

paulauk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Domino...im not scared of them lol.

Kind regards Paula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.