Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

paulauk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Hi guys. We are thinking in buying a holiday home in spain due to the property prices being so cheap, however I need advice on where is best to buy?

My parents live in Benidorm and I really dont like Benidorm...the tall skyscrapers look terrible and its full of british people.

We have seen property at marbella (which is nice but very expensive to eat out - over priced place is Marbella) and we are going to look at almeria area and costa calida (murcia).

If anyone has feedback on these areas then please advise.

Also is there a crime rate website for areas of spain? Ive heard Torreviecci (sorry cant spell it) is over run with immigrants and crime is bad??? (correct me if I am wrong please). PS Bit like uk if so !!

We would like to be close to the coast - walking distance of an hour is fine. Plenty of spanish bars / restaurants and even the odd english bar. Not a lively resort but must be spanish with a few ex pats.......

Your help is much appreciated xx
Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

paulauk is an unknown quantity at this point

Muchas gracias Rosemary
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulauk
Hi guys. We are thinking in buying a holiday home in spain due to the property prices being so cheap, however I need advice on where is best to buy?

My parents live in Benidorm and I really dont like Benidorm...the tall skyscrapers look terrible and its full of british people.

We have seen property at marbella (which is nice but very expensive to eat out - over priced place is Marbella) and we are going to look at almeria area and costa calida (murcia).

Also is there a crime rate website for areas of spain? Ive heard Torreviecci (sorry cant spell it) is over run with immigrants and crime is bad??? (correct me if I am wrong please). PS Bit like uk if so !!

We would like to be close to the coast - walking distance of an hour is fine. Plenty of spanish bars / restaurants and even the odd english bar. Not a lively resort but must be spanish with a few ex pats.......

So you are presumably British, what with posting on the British Expats website, but you don't want to be near the Brits.
You like Marbella which is also full of Brits (among others).
You want to be close to the coast, which is where most Brits move to.
You don't like immigrants, but that is exactly what you will be.

Sorry, can't recommend anywhere. Maybe someone else can?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

You say you want to live in a "resort" (whatever that is). By that very definition you are saying you want to live surrounded by tourists and mainly foreigners

There are some Spanish resorts e.g. in Cadiz and Galicia, but are only busy in July and August

If you want to live in a Spanish city or village surrounded by people who live there (rather than on holiday) then that is a different proposition
Old Sep 4th 2012, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Have a look at Ayamonte.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

so you don't like Brits and don't like immigrants - but want to move to Spain

You will have to go at least 1 hour inland from all those places before you start seeing less Brits and more Spanish, and then that isnt guaranteed. So not much chance of getting to the beach.

Think you are looking for a Utopia that may not exist, but give us more details so we can have a think about it for you.
rgds
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

All the Med coast areas are 'overrun by immigrants' may not be Britsh but German, Dutch, Russian, South American or Morrocans. The place you are looking for just doesn't exist.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: HELP PLEASE....SPAIN

Originally Posted by Domino

You will have to go at least 1 hour inland from all those places before you start seeing less Brits and more Spanish, and then that isnt guaranteed. So not much chance of getting to the beach.

Think you are looking for a Utopia that may not exist, but give us more details so we can have a think about it for you.
rgds
I think you will find Ayamonte is predominantly Spanish and from the town is about 40 mins walk to Isla Canela beach and a 10 min ferry ride to Portugal. Huge numbers of Spaniards from Madrid, Cordoba, Granada and Sevilla have holiday homes at the beach and visit for the whole summer and festivals at other times. This gives the town a very Spanish feel but also cosmopolitan Spanish if you know what I mean.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We live Inland, an hours drive from the coast. I think apart from the hours walk to the beach this would suit you better!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Costa TRopical is very un British, unless you go to Almuñecar, small costa moun tainouse and the Spanish holiday here.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:14 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You are asking what you might think is an easy question, but how would you respond to someone asking
We are thinking in buying a holiday home in the UK ... I need advice on where is best to buy?
There are many quiet little villages along the Costa Brava. Not everyone lives in an ex pat ghetto. You really need to take a month or more to drive along the coast to find somewhere that meets your requirements.

Crime in Torrevieja is no worse than many comparable towns in the UK. Have you been to Blackpool recently
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
She said she wanted a holiday home, not somewhere to live permanently.

Best bet is to have a few holidays in different places and see what fits the bill. Prices will go on falling for a while yet!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:10 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

i think she might be a he?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

nope, according to profile is definitely a she

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.