Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

help needed please

help needed please

Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:39 am
Just Joined

natnjon is on a distinguished road
Default help needed please

Hi, im new to the spain forum, we are a family of 4, were going to emigrate to australia but have decided that its to far away from family etc..
so now thinking of going to spain,have no idea as where yet.. my question is my hubby is an electrician would he be able to work as one in spain? he dosnt speak spanish but is going to learn.Any advice would be great.
thanks
nat xx
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:01 am
Just Joined

miramarmags has a spectacular aura aboutmiramarmags has a spectacular aura aboutmiramarmags has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: help needed please

Originally Posted by natnjon
Hi, im new to the spain forum, we are a family of 4, were going to emigrate to australia but have decided that its to far away from family etc..
so now thinking of going to spain,have no idea as where yet.. my question is my hubby is an electrician would he be able to work as one in spain? he dosnt speak spanish but is going to learn.Any advice would be great.
thanks
nat xx
Hi, I have lived in the Valencian area for 4 years now. To my knowledge you cannot work legally as an electrician unless you trained here... You may be able to sit a test but not sure. My advice is pick a place where that has english companies because if you dont speak spanish you will find it difficult. Our son was 8 when we moved here and now 4 years on is fluent in both
valencian and castellano. My husband and I still struggle because our friends speak valencian and we are learning spanish.... painful at times and is taking us much longer to learn it. The schooling in our area is great, although if you have a bad teacher there is nothing you can do about it here, no use complaining. The majority I would say are great, education in maths and english is better than england at primary level. My son goes to high school this year so we will see how that goes. There are private english schools is you are interested. Overall we have a fantastic life here now but it was a real struggle to begin with and savings dont last long. Spend sometime looking into the area you are thinking of moving to as it will benefit you in the long run.
I´m here if you need anything.
cheers.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:29 am
Just Joined

natnjon is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for your reply, it was really helpful, i have a few more questions if you dont mind, do you no what website i could look at for all the rules and regulations about working, also my kids are 5and 2,i am 24 and hubby is 28 we dont want to be rural, but not on the coast either have you any ideas of nice places, theres that many i dont even no were to start looking
thanks
nat xx
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

miramarmags has a spectacular aura aboutmiramarmags has a spectacular aura aboutmiramarmags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by natnjon
Hi, thanks for your reply, it was really helpful, i have a few more questions if you dont mind, do you no what website i could look at for all the rules and regulations about working, also my kids are 5and 2,i am 24 and hubby is 28 we dont want to be rural, but not on the coast either have you any ideas of nice places, theres that many i dont even no were to start looking
thanks
nat xx
It really depends on which area of spain you are looking at. I am in the Valencian province and use the website:

http://www.practicalspain.com/SiteMap.htm

for information here. There are loads of nice places here that are near the beach but not sitting on top of it. However house prices are on the increase here and for a three bed townhouse you are looking at 180 - 250K euros.. Inland is cheaper but not so good when you have two small children. I work in a place called La Nucia/Polop which has a lot of english speakers even in the town hall so that would help and also there are quite a few english companies for employment. Have a look at this website and see what you think.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look in the free beer thread at the top of the page, loads of info in there
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

I also live in Alfaz/LaNucia area and alot of people need small electrical jobs done. If you get a reputaion for being reliable (ie come when you say) and reasonable, word of mouth goes a long way.