Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help with Moving To Spain

Help with Moving To Spain

Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Lauren99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help with Moving To Spain

My husband and I are hoping to move to Spain (Villamartin, Valencia area). I wondered if anybody had any good contacts for a Solicitor. Is it best to find one in Spain or in the UK? Any other advice re buying property, mortgages would be extremely helpful. And tips on what to do first. We are currently taking Spanish lessons and I am doing as much research as I can. Any tips or help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Old Jun 18th 2018, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Moving To Spain

You need a professional independent Spanish solicitor. I recommend Pellicer and Heredia (English speaking)
Conveyancing Solicitors ✸ Buying property in Spain

suggest you also look here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain
Old Jun 18th 2018, 10:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lauren99
My husband and I are hoping to move to Spain (Villamartin, Valencia area). I wondered if anybody had any good contacts for a Solicitor. Is it best to find one in Spain or in the UK? Any other advice re buying property, mortgages would be extremely helpful. And tips on what to do first. We are currently taking Spanish lessons and I am doing as much research as I can. Any tips or help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Villamartin would be one of the last places I would recommend, and I have lived there, it really is a concrete jungle.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Villamartin would be one of the last places I would recommend, and I have lived there, it really is a concrete jungle.

I agree with you there Mike, my sister lives on one of the urbanisations at Villamartin and it reminds me of a sprawling inner city housing estate The Plaza square is nice though.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 5:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tebo53

I agree with you there Mike, my sister lives on one of the urbanisations at Villamartin and it reminds me of a sprawling inner city housing estate The Plaza square is nice though.
It's the only redeemimg feature.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your advice. We are looking to move where there is an Expat community as we would need to work. What areas would you suggest?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice. We are looking to move where there is an Expat community as we would need to work. What areas would you suggest?
hi,
I never make suggestions as to where people should live as I think it's up to them to research different areas. There are several nice towns (with expat communities) around the Villamartin area. If you decide to live on one of the (sprawling) estates you most certainly need a car as there is not a bus service that goes around the estates. There are few places to work locally and you would need to travel if you found somewhere to work. I would certainly look at small towns as a base.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 11:17 am
Concierge

Playa Flamenca and La Zenia coume to mind as much better
Old Jun 19th 2018, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Jun 19th 2018, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of work are you hoping to find?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bob_bob
What sort of work are you hoping to find?
My husband is a painter & decorator. I currently work as a secretary, but would consider any work.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 3:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The best he will earn is €10 an hour within the English speaking community. Sadly, anyone who knows what a paintbrush is will offer the same.

I doubt that anyone would employ an English secretary unless they spoke fluent Spanish.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

You might get work in a call centre.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking to move where there is an Expat community as we would need to work.
My advice, although I'm sure you won't want to hear it, forget it.

There is massive unemployment in Spain and the chances of finding any employment, let alone something you would actually want to do or would earn you even close to a living wage (or qualify you for a mortgage which it sounds like you might be needing), are practically nil.

Sadly some dreams have to remain just what they are.