British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Help with Moving To Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/help-moving-spain-914060/)

Lauren99 Jun 18th 2018 12:34 pm

Help with Moving To Spain

My husband and I are hoping to move to Spain (Villamartin, Valencia area). I wondered if anybody had any good contacts for a Solicitor. Is it best to find one in Spain or in the UK? Any other advice re buying property, mortgages would be extremely helpful. And tips on what to do first. We are currently taking Spanish lessons and I am doing as much research as I can. Any tips or help would be much appreciated. Thank you

spainrico Jun 18th 2018 6:52 pm

Re: Help with Moving To Spain

You need a professional independent Spanish solicitor. I recommend Pellicer and Heredia (English speaking)
Conveyancing Solicitors ✸ Buying property in Spain

suggest you also look here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

mikelincs Jun 18th 2018 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lauren99 (Post 12518001)
My husband and I are hoping to move to Spain (Villamartin, Valencia area). I wondered if anybody had any good contacts for a Solicitor. Is it best to find one in Spain or in the UK? Any other advice re buying property, mortgages would be extremely helpful. And tips on what to do first. We are currently taking Spanish lessons and I am doing as much research as I can. Any tips or help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Villamartin would be one of the last places I would recommend, and I have lived there, it really is a concrete jungle.

tebo53 Jun 19th 2018 5:11 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12518412)
Villamartin would be one of the last places I would recommend, and I have lived there, it really is a concrete jungle.

:goodpost:
I agree with you there Mike, my sister lives on one of the urbanisations at Villamartin and it reminds me of a sprawling inner city housing estate :blink: The Plaza square is nice though.

mikelincs Jun 19th 2018 5:39 am

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12518509)
:goodpost:
I agree with you there Mike, my sister lives on one of the urbanisations at Villamartin and it reminds me of a sprawling inner city housing estate :blink: The Plaza square is nice though.

It's the only redeemimg feature.

Lauren99 Jun 19th 2018 9:26 am

Thank you for your advice. We are looking to move where there is an Expat community as we would need to work. What areas would you suggest?

tebo53 Jun 19th 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Lauren99 (Post 12518597)
Thank you for your advice. We are looking to move where there is an Expat community as we would need to work. What areas would you suggest?

hi,
I never make suggestions as to where people should live as I think it's up to them to research different areas. There are several nice towns (with expat communities) around the Villamartin area. If you decide to live on one of the (sprawling) estates you most certainly need a car as there is not a bus service that goes around the estates. There are few places to work locally and you would need to travel if you found somewhere to work. I would certainly look at small towns as a base.

mikelincs Jun 19th 2018 11:17 am

Playa Flamenca and La Zenia coume to mind as much better

Lauren99 Jun 19th 2018 12:36 pm

Thank you

bob_bob Jun 19th 2018 1:57 pm

What sort of work are you hoping to find?

Lauren99 Jun 19th 2018 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by bob_bob (Post 12518768)
What sort of work are you hoping to find?

My husband is a painter & decorator. I currently work as a secretary, but would consider any work.

Fred James Jun 19th 2018 3:43 pm

The best he will earn is €10 an hour within the English speaking community. Sadly, anyone who knows what a paintbrush is will offer the same.

I doubt that anyone would employ an English secretary unless they spoke fluent Spanish.

cermignano Jun 19th 2018 3:49 pm

You might get work in a call centre.

Notdunroamin Jun 25th 2018 6:51 pm

We are looking to move where there is an Expat community as we would need to work.

My advice, although I'm sure you won't want to hear it, forget it.

There is massive unemployment in Spain and the chances of finding any employment, let alone something you would actually want to do or would earn you even close to a living wage (or qualify you for a mortgage which it sounds like you might be needing), are practically nil.

Sadly some dreams have to remain just what they are.