Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELP..Have Got Freesat Box

HELP..Have Got Freesat Box

Old Jul 16th 2011, 6:38 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP..Have Got Freesat Box

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
find that if I use 11973.V.27.2/3 that I can get ITV and ITV+1 on sky with a 1 metre dish....
Yes because:
On a Sky box and with a sky card you can get some other "encrypted" versions / regions of ITv1 and Five...as they are on a different satellite with a "stronger beam" than the other "free to air" versions are....
Old Jul 16th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by adra04778
Thanks for that, we do have a TV licence, free now

I will take a look at the website you mentioned, does it still work when the weather is bad ? The TV can be a problem here when it is blowing a gale
why would it be a problem when it is blowing a gale ? you are getting it from the internet
Old Jul 16th 2011, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by billymacker
why would it be a problem when it is blowing a gale ? you are getting it from the internet
There is an internet program that has all british programs on it in full screen. You would not know that you weren't actually watching on your t.v. sat in your armchair in the u.k.
This program charges about £15 a month to view. The only drawback is that you probably need a 6 Meg. connection.
Just thought of another problem, I'm not sure wether I can name the company here?

John.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by adra04778
Thanks for that, we do have a TV licence, free now

I will take a look at the website you mentioned, does it still work when the weather is bad ? The TV can be a problem here when it is blowing a gale
It works as well as your internet connection works. I find a lot of water in the atmosphere can slow my internet down, but not very local conditions, as my internet comes down the telephone line. However somewhere it is obviously getting to the phone lines from a satellite.

More likely is that my internet slows down at times when a lot of people are on the net. Just after school closing time for example !!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Rostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really niceRostra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Saxy
There is an internet program that has all british programs on it in full screen. You would not know that you weren't actually watching on your t.v. sat in your armchair in the u.k.
This program charges about £15 a month to view. The only drawback is that you probably need a 6 Meg. connection.
Just thought of another problem, I'm not sure wether I can name the company here?

John.
I think you are talking about FilmOn (which I used to subscribe to.) I find reception is better via Expat Shield and iplayer.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rostra
I think you are talking about FilmOn (which I used to subscribe to.) I find reception is better via Expat Shield and iplayer.
Hi Rostra,
Yes you are correct in naming the prog.
I think you are probably watcing on a laptop or computer monitor, and get a full screen picture. Watching the progs you mention on a t.v. screen, you get a smaller picture (about half size), whereas with FilmOn you have a full screen picture.
I think I did the company an injustice when I said that you need 6 Megs. as I notice they do have a low speed option.
I use 'Expat Shield' or 'TVAbroad' for downloading progs retrospectively, but they can't compete when viewing on a t.v. As to reception I think it depends on location, I have no problems!

John.

Last edited by Saxy; Jul 16th 2011 at 10:46 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: HELP..Have Got Freesat Box

Hi Rostra,
Yes you are correct in naming the prog.
I think you are probably watcing on a laptop or computer monitor, and get a full screen picture. Watching the progs you mention on a t.v. screen, you get a smaller picture (about half size), whereas with FilmOn you have a full screen picture.
I think I did the company an injustice when I said that you need 6 Megs. as I notice they do have a low speed option.
I use 'Expat Shield' or 'TVAbroad' for downloading progs retrospectively, but they can't compete when viewing on a t.v. As to reception I think it depends on location, I have no problems!

John.
John - if you have a relatively up to date TV you can plug the laptop into it, and the laptop screen then appears on the TV. (The laptop screen is then blank) The Full Screen option on the laptop then gives you full screen on the TV.

Because my TV screen is big enough, I often sit on the floor in front of the TV, watching a programme at acceptable viewing size on the small screen option, while doing my emails on the TV at the same time ! Gives me a heck of a crick in my neck though! And the kids think I'm mad.

Canaries is always bad for receptionof everything.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rostra
John - if you have a relatively up to date TV you can plug the laptop into it, and the laptop screen then appears on the TV. (The laptop screen is then blank) The Full Screen option on the laptop then gives you full screen on the TV.

Because my TV screen is big enough, I often sit on the floor in front of the TV, watching a programme at acceptable viewing size on the small screen option, while doing my emails on the TV at the same time ! Gives me a heck of a crick in my neck though! And the kids think I'm mad.

Canaries is always bad for receptionof everything.
Hi Rostra,
That is interesting about the laptop. My computer is a desktop, and plugs into the t.v. which acts as a monitor on 4:3 and t.v. on16:9. As I said, using FilmOn the picture quality is excellent, and all U.K.stations including Film4, are easily selected with a click of the mouse button. Anyone having problems with a dish, and a 3 Meg. connection, should at least have a look at internet t.v.

John.

Last edited by Saxy; Jul 16th 2011 at 12:43 pm. Reason: 1 Meg is no good
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

in the UK I currently get a 5-7 second delay between cable and terrestial with a similar delay using internet

how long is the delay on satellite ? ?

last weekend was on skype call to OH, she was watching the British Grand Prix from terrestial and was a similar period ahead of me on the internet.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 12:50 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
in the UK I currently get a 5-7 second delay between cable and terrestial with a similar delay using internet

how long is the delay on satellite ? ?

last weekend was on skype call to OH, she was watching the British Grand Prix from terrestial and was a similar period ahead of me on the internet.
Depends...
was watching the BGP last weekend...
BBC1 SD was slightly behind Spanish terrestrial TV.
BBC1HD was behind BBC1SD - which you would expect due to the delay in decompression and recompression.
BBC Streams were the ahead of BBC1SD by about 2 seconds...
Which was about 5 seconds quicker than one of the free streaming sites...and about 30 seconds quicker than a pay streaming / vpn / proxy site I am able to "borrow".

_http://www.torresat.tv/webtv/webtv.php
a site which is currently free and streams UK TV...run by one of the rebroadcasters in Torrevieja...but they are just nicking another sites streams...and its reliability can be uncertain...but saves having to pay for a streaming site....
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Rostra,
That is interesting about the laptop. My computer is a desktop, and plugs into the t.v. which acts as a monitor on 4:3 and t.v. on16:9. As I said, using FilmOn the picture quality is excellent, and all U.K.stations including Film4, are easily selected with a click of the mouse button. Anyone having problems with a dish, and a 3 Meg. connection, should at least have a look at internet t.v.

John.
One thing I forgot to mention (Senility marches on), is that FilmOn won't work if you are running Expat Shield, or any other IP cloaking program at the same time! So make sure that those type of programs are closed before opening FilmOn.

John.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

One thing I forgot to mention (Senility marches on), is that FilmOn won't work if you are running Expat Shield, or any other IP cloaking program at the same time! So make sure that those type of programs are closed before opening FilmOn.

John.
Thanks. I don't bother with Film On any more. The iplayers work better (better streaming.)

That well may be because I'm in the Canaries. Reception of everything is a joke here.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:07 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Put on Sky and it said this is wrong viewing card for this set top box insert the correct Sky viewing card.. all the electric went of last night..
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:27 am
Just Joined

Guardamar4me is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems you can also experience problems with different freesat boxes.

We have a 2.4m community dish. Up until March this year, my Humax Foxsat HDR box received all available HD channels and all the SD ones available in our area.

Went back in June and the 2 BBC HD channels have gone, also cannot retune to get Ch4 HD.

The box didnt want to play and ketp telling me my post code was invalid and there was no satellite signal (despite the fact I was able to watch other channels).

Eventually, the box wouldnt scan automatically, just manually, but then the programme guide is rubbish.

I plugged in my old Grundig SD box and no problems whatsoever.

Very strange.......
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Put on Sky and it said this is wrong viewing card for this set top box insert the correct Sky viewing card.. all the electric went of last night..
Also answered in the other thread where you posted this question, mainly as this thread is about Freesat, not Sky...

Wrong card for this set top box can mean one of two things:

You are using a card that is married to another box and trying to watch Sky Sports and Sky Movies. These two premium channels will only work in the Sky cards "home" or "paired" box.

or

if the message is appearing on all Sky encrypted channels, then your Sky card has missed its "update" signal, and "gone to sleep.". AS long as the card is in the sky box, and is getting a signal, and you can watch some channels, then eventually the card will "wake up" agaoin when it receives its signal from the satellite. This may take 2 hours, 2 days or 2 weeks - I had one take 6 weeks before it woke, and others have woken within an hour.

Sometimes, powering off the box from the main, taking out the card, wiping it on your trousers a few times, and reinsert it into the box, and pweroing up the box can speed up the process...

Last edited by The Guy; Jul 17th 2011 at 10:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.