Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help finding alternatives (Yeast & Sugar Free Bread)

Help finding alternatives (Yeast & Sugar Free Bread)

Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help finding alternatives (Yeast & Sugar Free Bread)

Can anyone help find alternatives to yeast & sugar free bread.
Also it must n't have added sugar.
Help would be appreciated.
I live in Javea does anyone know where I can buy substitutes for Bread.
Kind Regards
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 6:42 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help finding alternatives (Yeast & Sugar Free Bread)

Originally Posted by BigD
Can anyone help find alternatives to yeast & sugar free bread.
Also it must n't have added sugar.
Help would be appreciated.
I live in Javea does anyone know where I can buy substitutes for Bread.
Kind Regards
I know Mercadona sell sugar free bread (not sure how that works as yeast needs sugar, so is it yeast free as well???)! I make my own using almond flour tho!

Jo xxx
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

I have numerous food allergies and intolerances. In my experience you are better off mostly avoiding substitutes and just eating something else instead.
Why do you need to avoid sugar if you don't mind my asking?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren d
I have numerous food allergies and intolerances. In my experience you are better off mostly avoiding substitutes and just eating something else instead.
Why do you need to avoid sugar if you don't mind my asking?
It makes you fat! I hate the sliced bread here in Spain because it has a lot of sugar in. The Mercadona Mediterranean one is not too bad toasted and makes great breadcrumbs for beefburgers because of the dried tomatoes and olives in it.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
It makes you fat!
Incorrect. Over eating is what makes you fat.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:18 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Incorrect. Over eating is what makes you fat.

NO!! Sugar, well insulin actually! When sugar (carbgohydrates) enters the blood stream, it sends signals to your pancreas to produce insulin, which comes hurtling out to remove the sugar from the blood and decide whether to leave it for the muscles if the body is active or to store it by turning it into saturated fat and depositing it around the body!!!

Did you know that if you dont eat sugar or carbohydtrates then you can more or less eat as much as you like and it doesnt make you fat! You're body then runs on fat, both ingested and stored fat, any surplus fat eaten is "disposed of" without being absorbed !!! and your insulin stays level and low, thus preventing diabetes!!!!

Jo xxxx
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
NO!! Sugar, well insulin actually! When sugar (carbgohydrates) enters the blood stream, it sends signals to your pancreas to produce insulin, which comes hurtling out to remove the sugar from the blood and decide whether to leave it for the muscles if the body is active or to store it by turning it into saturated fat and depositing it around the body!!!
The fact is the only way you can get fat while eating sugar is if you over eat. If you do not over eat you will not get fat.
Your body needs a certain amount of calories to survive and easily burns sugar as fuel (calories) for energy for that purpose. If the sugar isn't needed at the time that you ate it then the body will turn it to fat. If you do not over eat then your body will draw on it's fat reserves for energy when it needs it.
If you under eat while eating sugar (or anything) you will lose weight. You can not get fat if you under eat.
Did you know that if you dont eat sugar or carbohydtrates then you can more or less eat as much as you like and it doesnt make you fat! You're body then runs on fat, both ingested and stored fat, any surplus fat eaten is "disposed of" without being absorbed !!! and your insulin stays level and low, thus preventing diabetes!!!!
You are of course talking about what is known as "low carb". I know you know this but some people here may not. Carbs are starch and sugar. "Low carb diet" is a diet low in carbs.
I think there's a lot of truth in what you have said but there are still some people that manage to eat too much and stay over weight while on a low carb diet. It is harder to over eat on low carb though and I would recommend low carb to anyone that is trying to lose weight. It should be eased into gradually over a period of at least two weeks to allow the body to adjust to burning more fat and protein instead of carbs. Unfortunately it doesn't suit everyone.
It suits me though. I eat hardly any carbs and have done this for quite a few years now. I'm 48 and feel good . Since going low carb my blood sugar is stable so I no longer get energy crashes, my body fat is good (I have never been overweight though), I have visible abdominal muscles, I no longer suffer mucus problems, mood swings and a whole load of other health problems I used to put up with. My lower back is a little stiff but when I was eating carbs it was as stiff as a board. It turned out that I had bacteria (klebsiella) in my lower back joints. The klebsiella was feeding off of the carbs I was eating. I used to lay in the bath in shallow hot water every morning to try to loosen up my back so I could get dressed and eat my breakfast. I kid you not.
The only carbs that I eat now are in salad vegetables, nuts, and what little fruit I eat. I eat no starch foods like bread, pasta, spuds, rice, cereal etc even though I do like them. I have allergies or intolerances to all starchy foods it would seem so I give them a miss. I get most of my calories from protein and fat.
I didn't suddenly start eating this way though. I had been having various health problems for years that just got worse when I hit 40. I later found out that when I cut out certain foods from my diet that my health improved so I kept on experimenting and found myself low carbing. So you could say that I just drifted into low carb.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:15 pm
Banned

The fact is the only way you can get fat while eating sugar is if you over eat. If you do not over eat you will not get fat.
Your body needs a certain amount of calories to survive and easily burns sugar as fuel (calories) for energy for that purpose. If the sugar isn't needed at the time that you ate it then the body will turn it to fat. If you do not over eat then your body will draw on it's fat reserves for energy when it needs it.
If you under eat while eating sugar (or anything) you will lose weight. You can not get fat if you under eat.
You are of course talking about what is known as "low carb". I know you know this but some people here may not. Carbs are starch and sugar. "Low carb diet" is a diet low in carbs.
I think there's a lot of truth in what you have said but there are still some people that manage to eat too much and stay over weight while on a low carb diet. It is harder to over eat on low carb though and I would recommend low carb to anyone that is trying to lose weight. It should be eased into gradually over a period of at least two weeks to allow the body to adjust to burning more fat and protein instead of carbs. Unfortunately it doesn't suit everyone.
It suits me though. I eat hardly any carbs and have done this for quite a few years now. I'm 48 and feel good . Since going low carb my blood sugar is stable so I no longer get energy crashes, my body fat is good (I have never been overweight though), I have visible abdominal muscles, I no longer suffer mucus problems, mood swings and a whole load of other health problems I used to put up with. My lower back is a little stiff but when I was eating carbs it was as stiff as a board. It turned out that I had bacteria (klebsiella) in my lower back joints. The klebsiella was feeding off of the carbs I was eating. I used to lay in the bath in shallow hot water every morning to try to loosen up my back so I could get dressed and eat my breakfast. I kid you not.
The only carbs that I eat now are in salad vegetables, nuts, and what little fruit I eat. I eat no starch foods like bread, pasta, spuds, rice, cereal etc even though I do like them. I have allergies or intolerances to all starchy foods it would seem so I give them a miss. I get most of my calories from protein and fat.
I didn't suddenly start eating this way though. I had been having various health problems for years that just got worse when I hit 40. I later found out that when I cut out certain foods from my diet that my health improved so I kept on experimenting and found myself low carbing. So you could say that I just drifted into low carb.

Yep!!! I'm the same, I used to suffer with terrible arthritus, I could barely walk first thing in the morning and as for IBS!! It all went away when I stopped the starch and high carb stuff!!!

I still dont agree that you can eat too much when low carbing. I lost weight unintentionally when I started low carbing, I was doing it more for the health benefits and I averaged 4000 calories a day! I think what was happening in my case was that the fat I was eating was going straight thu (dont ask lol) and therefore the calorific content didnt "hit the sides"!!

I also dont believe that a calorie is a calorie, I think there are different types which affect our bodies differently - a bit like firewood, some burns hot and slow, others are faster but not as hot!!?

I personally believe we have the whole "healthy eating" stuff totally wrong, mainly due to the vested interests of the sugar, flour and food manufacturing industries! ... oh and the pharmaceutical industry, whom I'm surprised didnt go bust when I stared low carbing and stopped buying reflux/heartburn tablets!!!!!

Anyway, maybe this isnt the right forum for food conversations, I know I'm not a mod on this one, but maybe "back to topic" lol

Jo xxx
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
I still dont agree that you can eat too much when low carbing.
Some people have emotional issues and can still shovel down more food than they need while low carbing.
I lost weight unintentionally when I started low carbing, I was doing it more for the health benefits and I averaged 4000 calories a day! I think what was happening in my case was that the fat I was eating was going straight thu (dont ask lol) and therefore the calorific content didnt "hit the sides"!!
I don't doubt it. My digestion was running at only 60% efficiency at one time so I know what you mean.
I also dont believe that a calorie is a calorie, I think there are different types which affect our bodies differently - a bit like firewood, some burns hot and slow, others are faster but not as hot!!?
Definitely they will affect our bodies in different ways but my original point was that if you under eat you will not get fat no matter what you eat.
I personally believe we have the whole "healthy eating" stuff totally wrong,
I agree. I got fed up with taking rubbish advice from overweight and unhealthy looking health professionals and took charge of my health and feel a lot better for it.
I stared low carbing and stopped buying reflux/heartburn tablets!!!!!
Me too. I wouldn't leave the house without them. I don't need them now. They are unhealthy anyway.