Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hello, & motorbike question!

Hello, & motorbike question!

Old Feb 19th 2010, 10:17 am
Just Joined

T-bone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello, & motorbike question!

Hi there, this is my first post on here, just discovered the site and looks good!

My Husband and I moved over to spain at the beginning of January and are settling in well. But Transport is my problem at the moment!

We have a car and hubby has a motorbike. But we think it's time I got a full bike license. I have a full uk driving license (and a very out of date cbt lol)

I'm looking for advice on what to do about the test, would it be easier to fly back to the UK and do a week intensive course, Or would it be better to do it in Gibraltar? (I know doing it in spain isn't really an option) We have a few friends there, and I'm hoping to be starting work there soon. Problem is, I cannot find anywhere that does motorbike tests there? There must be for the amount of scooters and bikes there but I can't find any info on the web.

Has anyone done their bike tests over here and how did you do it?

Thank you for reading
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, & motorbike question!

If you are resident in Spain forget taking your test in Gibraltar ( you will need proof of residence in Gib to do that ) the Spanish will not recognize it and you cannot transfer it to a Spanish licence
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

T-bone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice, looks like I will be going back to the UK for a week, think I'll wait until the snow has gone away!
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:17 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

I´d fly back to UK and do a quick course then send off your license for the additions.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:28 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I know a girl who did her test here in spain. Her spanish is not good, nor is her riding but she managed to pass somehow.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:22 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

If you have a uk car licence can you ride a scooter/small bike in Spain on that?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
If you have a uk car licence can you ride a scooter/small bike in Spain on that?
Up to 125 cc.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:36 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Up to 125 cc.
Hi JDR - can you carry a passenger as well.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 8:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
Hi JDR - can you carry a passenger as well.
Yes, afaik even 15 year old new riders can take a passenger as long as they are a certain age, 20 or 25 not sure which as I am a bit past that.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 9:08 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Yes, afaik even 15 year old new riders can take a passenger as long as they are a certain age, 20 or 25 not sure which as I am a bit past that.

Thanks for that - I have been on a few sites but information given is not very clear. My oh and I are getting a bit fed up with the car hire charges, so are considering a couple of scooters to trip about on we only have 1 daughter at home now - hence the passenger question.

I am waiting for a break in the weather to do my CBT - OH passed is test about 40 years ago (Jesus that sounds frightening) but once he passed his car test the passion waggon won.

He his planning to do the CBT as well but on a bigger bike. I am vertically challenged so have to go for a 125cc so I can cock my leg over it.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 4:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I will know for sure soon

dd1 who just turned 14 is hell bent on becoming one of the last 14 year olds in the country to take the moto test this summer
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I will know for sure soon

dd1 who just turned 14 is hell bent on becoming one of the last 14 year olds in the country to take the moto test this summer
Has she been practising, overtaking on the right whilst lighting a cigarette, texting and carrying crash helmet on arm?
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Has she been practising, overtaking on the right whilst lighting a cigarette, texting and carrying crash helmet on arm?

thankfully she doesn't smoke

she does text one handedthough

she has been warned that if she ever goes without a helmet her entire life will be 'confiscated' til she's 30!

they have 'driving' lessons at school from about the age of 8 - on bikes, skates & scooters, graduating to cars around a racetrack near Valencia as they get older

they should be able to pass the theory long before they need to