Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hello, an introduction and a question!

Hello, an introduction and a question!

Old May 30th 2006, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

thud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello, an introduction and a question!

Hi,

I am buying a townhouse at the moment and planning to move to live in a beautiful village in andalucia very soon! I am quite young and make a living as a webmaster, webdeveloper and SEO expert so I am used to finding my answers on the web, but would like the help of a few old hands!

Basically, I want to buy some electronic goodies fairly quickly and in the Uk i know what sites /companies are good for price/delivery etc but in Spain I am lost. The main problem being they are all in Spanish and my spanish is still underdeveloped. How do you do it? Do I really have to go out to real shops . I can do that, but feel better researching and buying online. So if I want to buy some hifi, home cinema gear etc, are there any good Spanish online retailers, either in english or spanish??

I would really appreciate any pointers!

Thanks in advance,

Cant wait to complete my house purchase !

Steve
Old May 31st 2006, 6:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello, an introduction and a question!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Carrefour has stores all over Spain, look up the stuff you want on line, make a list then go and pick it up or get it delivered
Old May 31st 2006, 7:34 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

I would personally buy online in UK - much much cheaper and then get someone to bring it over - once you are in Spain you start picking up on the fact there are loads of people with small vans running back and forwards and the cost is low for small amounts.

Mark
Old May 31st 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

CharlieBangor is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am in the same field as you and do a fair amount of work for a company that buys and sells electronic goods in bulk.

We kitted out 2 houses in Chiclana this way and found it to be miles cheaper as elec stuff in Spain is VERY expensive (and crap!)

If u send me a pm with the stuff you want, I'll get u a price for the stuff delivered to spain

Cheers

Andy
Old May 31st 2006, 7:40 am
Just Joined

thud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GCM
I would personally buy online in UK - much much cheaper and then get someone to bring it over - once you are in Spain you start picking up on the fact there are loads of people with small vans running back and forwards and the cost is low for small amounts.

Mark
Thanks, Im sure you are right for some stuff, but the item I want at the moment is cheap in Europe and expensive in the UK, a Sony home cinema system which is £599 in COMET is 550euros on the continent!

I guess i was hoping that with 1million or more british living in Spain there would have been a big enough market for an online electrical retailer.

Mmm.. it gives me an idea. lol.

Cheers,
Steve
Old May 31st 2006, 10:50 am
Just Joined

PULULA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

There is plenty of electricals retailers that caters for expats here in Andalucia...most of them english and if not, surely the spanish ones speak a foreing language to serve foreing residents. Glad you realize that most electrical consumers are cheaper in spain that in the Uk they are exactly the same ,cames out for exactly the same factories!!!
Old May 31st 2006, 1:20 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

I've always found most electrical items and computer items more expensive in Spain but then it does depend on where you live. My area of Costa Blanca is notorious for being expensive - lots of wealthy Northern Europeans.

Mark
Old May 31st 2006, 3:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
I've always found most electrical items and computer items more expensive in Spain but then it does depend on where you live. My area of Costa Blanca is notorious for being expensive - lots of wealthy Northern Europeans.

Mark
Buy from a Spanish shop
Old May 31st 2006, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Prices at stores like Urende and Boulanger are competitive and the service generally good.

I would never buy electronic goods online.
Old May 31st 2006, 4:52 pm
Mrs

casaianda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Prices at stores like Urende and Boulanger are competitive and the service generally good.

I would never buy electronic goods online.

You don´t say where abouts you will be living, but in the Malaga area Bazaar San Juan are excellent value for electrical goods.

Online shopping is still in its infancy here - some supermarkets offer the service but only if you live close to one of their participating stores. We are only 10km from our nearest Mercadona and that is out of the area!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casaianda
You don´t say where abouts you will be living, but in the Malaga area Bazaar San Juan are excellent value for electrical goods.

Online shopping is still in its infancy here - some supermarkets offer the service but only if you live close to one of their participating stores. We are only 10km from our nearest Mercadona and that is out of the area!
We have bought a number of electrical items here, and have had no problems at all. We have noticed that for many items the price is the same, i.e. the numbers are the same but, of course, the prices here are in euros. We got our LCD TV here for less than 1000 euros at a time when an equivalent one was £1000 in the UK. One thing to note here, and it may well depend on the area, but if you have something delivered they will check it is working before leaving, they deliver and connect it or fit it and it's all included in the price.