Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

heeeelp please on broadband etc

heeeelp please on broadband etc

Old Mar 14th 2006, 2:46 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default heeeelp please on broadband etc

I have just moved to spain (3 weeks) and already have a telephone installed by the previous owners. I rang telephonica to get broadband and this was duly done in about 4 days. thing is i am quite ignorant of all things pc and was wondering... now i have broadband am i right in thinking that .... i pay the one price for broadband and that includes my time spent online????
I used to use AOL in the Uk but am now using Internet Explorer,does all this sound right to you.....
would be well glad of some advice on this.
by the way, have settled in nicely here and just love it so far
Old Mar 14th 2006, 3:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heeeelp please on broadband etc

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
I have just moved to spain (3 weeks) and already have a telephone installed by the previous owners. I rang telephonica to get broadband and this was duly done in about 4 days. thing is i am quite ignorant of all things pc and was wondering... now i have broadband am i right in thinking that .... i pay the one price for broadband and that includes my time spent online????
I used to use AOL in the Uk but am now using Internet Explorer,does all this sound right to you.....
It depends on which packadge you got, if you are paying about 40€ you have the 24/7 so you will pay 40€ and you can be on the net all the time if you wish. All your nacional calls should be included also. If they are not phone up and ask to change to free local calls.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 5:41 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

AOL use their own browser, so now that you have changed your internet provider to Telephonica you will need to use a new browser, Microsoft supplies one free in their operating system (Windows) called Internet Explorer, so this is best one to use, with regards to the price you pay, as JDR said it all depends on the package you purchased from Telephonica, but as a rule, you normally only pay extra if you download a lot, unlikely in your case. but worth checking to see what telephone calls are covered.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:43 pm
gfx
Just Joined

gfx is an unknown quantity at this point

Allo, if it's the same deal as we've got from Telefonica it's unlimited access for the one fee - just like AOL in the UK. There are other suppliers that limit access by the amount you've downloaded each month but I steer well clear of them - for me the're a false economy but they might suit some people who only use e-mail for example.

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 18th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevray
AOL use their own browser, so now that you have changed your internet provider to Telephonica you will need to use a new browser, Microsoft supplies one free in their operating system (Windows) called Internet Explorer, so this is best one to use, with regards to the price you pay, as JDR said it all depends on the package you purchased from Telephonica, but as a rule, you normally only pay extra if you download a lot, unlikely in your case. but worth checking to see what telephone calls are covered.
please dont give advice that is incorrect.

so this is best one to use
yes it is, if you like spyware

but as a rule, you normally only pay extra if you download a lot
not so on telefonica, they dont operate this sort of a system - thats only adopted by ya.com and is 12.95€ a month for upto 1gig and 0.25c for every 200mb after that, capped at 32.95€.

but worth checking to see what telephone calls are covered
a good point and worth checking.

with telefonicainenglish.com

ADSL Duo offer
Only 39,07€ a month

+ FREE modem
+ FREE activation
+ FREE phone calls, 24/7 connection, English installation manual, Phone and surf at the same time, Super fast 1 Meg Broadband!

or with telefonica

Dúo ADSL 24h Básico + Llamadas Nacionales

ADSL y todas las llamadas metropolitanas, provinciales y nacionales, 24 horas al d�*a.

Dúo ADSL 24h Básico + Llamadas Nacionales

GRATIS el alta y el módem USB o el módem-router inalámbrico y 6 cuotas mensuales a 29,90 euros

so you´d have to be getting ripped off to be paying 40€ a month, unless you are with spantel and have all of the european calls included at 41.95€ and 2mb adsl...

trust someone who actually knows what they are talking about...

Last edited by bfg69bug; Mar 18th 2006 at 12:42 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2006, 9:03 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't necessarily say Kevray is giving incorrect information! Thats a bit harsh my friend.

If you want to see what choice you have heres a good link so you know EXACTLY what choices you have available to you.

http://www.adslzone.net/comparativa.html

BTW, AOL imho completely messes up your pc. I used it for years and (after many people having told me it takes over your computer) eventually when I changed to another asdl provider had a hell of a job with conflicting files. It took a lot of sorting out
Old Mar 18th 2006, 9:58 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
please dont give advice that is incorrect.

yes it is, if you like spyware
Don't talk such twaddle, I was fixing computers before you were born and as an ex employee of AOL, I fully and I mean FULLY understand how their service works, as for Microsoft operating system being spyware, do you understand the meaning of spyware, You Plonker!
I have no time for Mr Gates as I am a Mac type person but even so, his company has sold more O/S software than any other in the computer world.
I very much doubt he want to look at yours or anyone else's pc. what is he going to do ? pinch money from the account of some 25 year old still wet behind the ears.Like he needs it. I don't think so, get real, get a life and don't tell me that I have posted inaccurate information unless you can back it you with facts.
As for the cost of broadband, well I was explaining in a reasonable way. As I do not yet live in Spain it is difficult to give that type of info. Hence why I advised checking at source.
Please don't advertise on Forums, its very bad manners.

And hey, chill
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

i didn´t say it IS spyware, did i ? stop putting "words" into my mouth...

i said its good to use if you LIKE spyware.

Originally Posted by http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=32

or me, the biggest factor that inspired me to start using a browser other than Internet Explorer was the constant bugs and security fixes that were plaguing the latter, not to mention the tons of plug-ins that took over your browser. Changing your homepage to some paid advertiser, or adding a toolbar that does the worst job possible when searching.

The majority of these spyware and vulnerabilities are commonly programmed for Internet Explorer being that IE holds over 70% of the internet browser market. There are other browsers out there that can compete with IE, but Mozilla Firefox (formally known as Firebird) is a complete browser filled with tons of features that’s only light in size. From a built in pop-up blocker that works better than many commercial pop-up blockers, to tabbed browsing, these are just two of the factors that contribute to making Firefox an internet browser’s dream.
taken from http://www.flexbeta.net/main/article...ion=show&id=32

when searching google for "firefox vs. internet explorer", there are 5,340,000 results. no, i didnt read thru all of them, and no, it is not just my opinon, i think alot of other people will agree.

oh i am chilled, dont you worry about that
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:32 am
Just Joined

bubster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
It depends on the adsl package you have with telefonica. Checkout ...www.telefonicainenglish.com. BUt yes normally it is 1 payment per month around 30 euros for unlimited 24/7 adsl. At 1mps. depending. Also you should check Mozilla firefox for your web brouser it is better than i. explorer i.explorer has too many holes.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by bubster
Hi
It depends on the adsl package you have with telefonica. Checkout ...www.telefonicainenglish.com. BUt yes normally it is 1 payment per month around 30 euros for unlimited 24/7 adsl. At 1mps. depending. Also you should check Mozilla firefox for your web brouser it is better than i. explorer i.explorer has too many holes.
ADSL Mini is 30 euros a month, whilst ADSL 24/7 is 40 euros per month. The difference, as I understand it, is that ADSL has a download quota of 1GB per month, whereas 24/7 is "unlimited". This is for the basic service - i.e. speed at 1 Mb/s download, 384 Kb/s upload.

Right now there is an offer until 31st March for Dúo ADSL 24h Básico + Llamadas Nacionales for 30 euros/month for the first 6 months.

Telefonica are also scrabbling to get a high-speed 24h ADSL (ADSL2 with up to 8 Mb/s download) for 40 euros/month, but the fine-print doesn't seem to be easily to hand and there may be restrictions. Additionally, depending on how far you are from the exchange, you may not get better than 1 Mb/s anyway. There has to be some catch in the fine-print, since their Línea ADSL Premium product is normally 150 euros a month for 8 Mb/s.

So, in response to the original poster; if you know how much you're paying monthly, you'll be able to figure out what you have in terms of restrictions/speed, without having to decode their ever-changing product packaging - so long as you know whether you signed-up for an "oferta", or not.

Last edited by Unexpat; Mar 24th 2006 at 12:07 pm.
Old May 17th 2006, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Tinachristina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telefonica /Telefonicain English

Hi, I need some advice about Phones and internet. I have heard that Telefonicain English are not part of Telefonica and make an extra charge. How do I go about applying online to the real Telefonica as I know nothing about computers. Does anyone have an online address I can do it on my friends computer then.
Thanks
Tina :
Old May 17th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice
Default Re: Telefonica /Telefonicain English

Originally Posted by Tinachristina
Hi, I need some advice about Phones and internet. I have heard that Telefonicain English are not part of Telefonica and make an extra charge. How do I go about applying online to the real Telefonica as I know nothing about computers. Does anyone have an online address I can do it on my friends computer then.
Thanks
Tina :
http://www.telefonicaonline.es

As simple as that.

And whilst I'm posting and correcting inaccuracies over Telefonica's offerings, per my previous post , having re-read this thread I have to say that there is nothing much to choose between Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefoz as your browser. Both are good solid browsers, kept continually up to date with the latest security patches.

There are pros and cons to both, for example Firefox compatibility with some things is still not quite what it could be, whereas MS IE is a little bloated in some areas. Having said that, the important thing is to keep your software updated. MS IE has a bad reputation because it is by far the most widely used browser and so many people just fail to keep it up to date.
Old May 18th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I luuuv Firefox.
Old May 18th 2006, 2:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I luuuv Firefox.
Opera is good too
Old May 18th 2006, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I luuuv Firefox.
Each to their own

As a software developer I've had too many compatibility problems with Firefox, although I applaud the fact that there is a good solid alternative to MSIE out there to keep Bill in line.

Incidentally, going back to AOL, yes, evil incarnate. The way the software install screws over a perfectly good install of Windows is unbelievable. My wife used to laugh everytime I went on a rant when a free trial AOL CD popped through the post, threatening to install it on all my machines if I didn't buy her ____ (insert feminine stuff here).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.