Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

heeeelp please on broadband etc

heeeelp please on broadband etc

Old May 18th 2006, 2:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: heeeelp please on broadband etc

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Each to their own

As a software developer I've had too many compatibility problems with Firefox, although I applaud the fact that there is a good solid alternative to MSIE out there to keep Bill in line.

Incidentally, going back to AOL, yes, evil incarnate. The way the software install screws over a perfectly good install of Windows is unbelievable. My wife used to laugh everytime I went on a rant when a free trial AOL CD popped through the post, threatening to install it on all my machines if I didn't buy her ____ (insert feminine stuff here).
AOL takes over your computer, and its difficult to remove as well. My laptop had it on and when my daughter tried to install a wireless connection we had huge difficulty even though we thought we'd removed AOL completely.

Avoid like the plague .....
Old May 18th 2006, 4:26 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
AOL takes over your computer, and its difficult to remove as well. My laptop had it on and when my daughter tried to install a wireless connection we had huge difficulty even though we thought we'd removed AOL completely.

Avoid like the plague .....
I used to be one of the online support engineers for AOL, many many years ago. one of the major complaints even then was its ability to take over your OS and thus stop you from adding other internet software, or clashing with other software, from my knowledge now and from various complaints voiced by my customers, I would hazard a guess that its still as bad as ever, excellent if all you want is to browse the internet, but not so good if you use your computer for other tasks.
Old May 18th 2006, 6:41 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

FireFox is a great program once you get used to it, but you still need IE for certain websites like mail.com, but generally I use only Firefox.

rob

btw didn't know this but firefox and monzilla are two seperate browsers.
Old May 18th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I use Firefox because I prefer it. The only time I have to revert to IE is to upgrade Windows.

I have no problems with Bill Gates or his billions of dollars, he deserves every cent and I hope he wins all the ongoing court cases against Microsoft and its alleged monopolistic practices. I just prefer Firefox because it is a superior product.

I frequently use the BBC listen again facility and I find Firefox in conjunction with Real Alternative works far better than IE with the bloated and spyware ridden Real Player.

Last edited by Beachcomber; May 18th 2006 at 7:54 am.
Old May 18th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
I use Firefox because I prefer it. The only time I have to revert to IE is to upgrade Windows.

I have no problems with Bill Gates or his billions of dollars, he deserves every cent and I hope he wins all the ongoing court cases against Microsoft and its alleged monopolistic practices. I just prefer Firefox because it is a superior product.

I frequently use the BBC listen again facility and I find Firefox in conjunction with Real Alternative works far better than IE with the bloated and spyware ridden Real Player.
Heh, yeah. Real player is defintely one to avoid.
Old May 18th 2006, 9:23 am
McT
Just Joined

McT is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am a Firefox fan, the only problem with it being the occasional site that it won't display properly. (I read that the reason for this is that IE doesn't follow the rules and web site designers have to modify their code to allow IE to work properly, thereby screwing up other browsers. How true this is I don't know.) Anyway, there is a cure. Get the 'IE Tab' extension from here.

Once it's installed, if a web site doesn't render properly just right click on the tab and select 'Switch rendering engine'. The page will display as it would in IE.

BTW, RealPlayer = evil, evil, evil!

McT
Old May 18th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Why is RealPlayer so bad? I've used it for years and not had any problems. I'm prepared to be educated ...
Old May 18th 2006, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by un-mundo
Why is RealPlayer so bad? I've used it for years and not had any problems. I'm prepared to be educated ...
It sends far more information than it should to various destinations on your habits and uses of the software. It asks for too much information on registration and it hosts a lot of adware which itself can be invasive.

Use "Real Alternative" codecs and Media Player Classic to play RealMedia formats. No background processes, no ads and no registration forms. http://www.codecguide.com/about_real.htm