Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Heated towel rails

Heated towel rails

Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heated towel rails

We have a terrible problem with condensation in our bathroom - especially in this recent cold, damp weather - you can almost see the mould growing

I'm trying to persuade OH that a heated towel rail may be a good solution but he's convinced that they're expensive to run - anyone have any views?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:30 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Use a dehumidifier, it´s been the best solution for us.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Or open some windows when you can, the mould is caused by lack of air circulation.
Hoover if off then wash with bleach solution.
We have had to move all our furniture away from outside facing walls to allow an airspace, never had it as bad as this year before.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jur
Use a dehumidifier, it´s been the best solution for us.
I'm just thinking of a bit of heat in the room - & nice cosy towels

Last edited by lunacrout; Feb 25th 2010 at 3:02 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
Or open some windows when you can, the mould is caused by lack of air circulation.
Hoover if off then wash with bleach solution.
We have had to move all our furniture away from outside facing walls to allow an airspace, never had it as bad as this year before.
Oops - just saw this post!

Yes OH washed it all down yesterday then we put an oil-filled radiator in there for several hours so it all dried out nicely - just don't want it to get so bad again - it's started raining again today though!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by lunacrout
We have a terrible problem with condensation in our bathroom - especially in this recent cold, damp weather - you can almost see the mould growing

I'm trying to persuade OH that a heated towel rail may be a good solution but he's convinced that they're expensive to run - anyone have any views?

We now have three of these one for each bathroom cost about euro120 each and are oil filled electric from LeRoy Merlin. they are very efficient and very good at keeping the condensation down but I would also say that after each shower we open the bathroom window and leave the extractor fan running. The bonus is the bathmat and towels are warm. Toasty!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by John & Kath
We now have three of these one for each bathroom cost about euro120 each and are oil filled electric from LeRoy Merlin. they are very efficient and very good at keeping the condensation down but I would also say that after each shower we open the bathroom window and leave the extractor fan running. The bonus is the bathmat and towels are warm. Toasty!
Thanks - any idea of the running costs?

Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Heated towel rails

Thanks - any idea of the running costs?

Not yet not had them long enough but Fred might know. You could of course work it out from the power x time on x cost per unit of electricity but even in UK with all the necesssary bits in English it would have taken me a few minutes. Here I just dont follow electricity bills yet.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Not yet not had them long enough but Fred might know. You could of course work it out from the power x time on x cost per unit of electricity but even in UK with all the necesssary bits in English it would have taken me a few minutes. Here I just dont follow electricity bills yet.
Oohh - that sounds a bit complicated for my poor brain

Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:06 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have heated rails in our bathrooms and they are great, heat the towels and take the chill off the bathroom.
Mine are very cheap to run. The cost depends on the rating, i.e. 100w rad will cost the same as 100w light bulb or 2X 50w bulbs
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by missile
I have heated rails in our bathrooms and they are great, heat the towels and take the chill off the bathroom.
Mine are very cheap to run. The cost depends on the rating, i.e. 100w rad will cost the same as 100w light bulb or 2X 50w bulbs
Thanks - I'll try & convince him. (I'm numerically dyslexic so can't cope with numbers but I get the gist & it sounds good )
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:17 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Whether this is good for grout between tiles I don't know, but don't use bleach on the walls just yet.

Firstly, whatever you use, using it before the drier weather is here is a bit of a waste of time IMO. Secondly, last year I decided to try using warm water with a spot of washing up liquid in it. (just a spot.) I used a clean soft broom to scrub the wall, then rubbed it dry with an old towel.

Result, the mould went away, and didn't come back till this winter, when it does for all the houses here.

Splashing bleach around is a waste of money, bad for you, and generally not a pleasant experience.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:30 am
Jur

I'm just thinking of a bit of heat in the room - & nice cosy towels

So, currently you have no heating in your bathroom at all?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:36 am
Jur

Originally Posted by bil
Whether this is good for grout between tiles I don't know, but don't use bleach on the walls just yet.

Firstly, whatever you use, using it before the drier weather is here is a bit of a waste of time IMO. Secondly, last year I decided to try using warm water with a spot of washing up liquid in it. (just a spot.) I used a clean soft broom to scrub the wall, then rubbed it dry with an old towel.

Result, the mould went away, and didn't come back till this winter, when it does for all the houses here.

Splashing bleach around is a waste of money, bad for you, and generally not a pleasant experience.
Rubbing an old towel over a wall does not kill the bacteries of the mould, that´s what the bleach is for as well.
As for splashing, a simple spray thingy will do.
Attached Thumbnails Heated towel rails-spray1lt%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jur
So, currently you have no heating in your bathroom at all?
No - and it's on the old rustic side of the house so there isn't even glass in the window - just a wooden shutter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.