Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Heated towel rails

Heated towel rails

Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:35 am
  #16  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by Jur
Rubbing an old towel over a wall does not kill the bacteries of the mould, that´s what the bleach is for as well.
As for splashing, a simple spray thingy will do.
OK, small science lesson here. There are no 'bacterias' in the mould. The black colour is the spores of the mould. These are very resistant to wetting, which is why you need to add washing up liquid as a wetting agent. (Only a small amount tho.)

The point I am trying to make is this. If you treat the problem too soon, it will come straight back. If you treat it at the end of the season, IT WILL COME BACK NEXT WINTER. That is the same whether you use washing up liquid, bleach, or fuming Nitric acid. The only way to prevent it coming back is to prevent condensation, and that would need the application of a dehumidifier 24/7. That costs.

In a bedroom, like ours, the walls are thin and cold. Condensation from breath at night wets the wall, and this allows the mould to get a hold. If I can find somewhere that sells tiles to cover the wall, I will tile the walls concerned with insulating tiles, and paint over them which should cure the problem.

The final point again is this. Treatment of mould is only going to be temporary unless you can treat the cause 100%.

If the cure is temporary then isn't it better to use water and a couple of pence worth of fairy liquid than bottles of toxic bleach which will damage shin, lungs et al?
bil is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:31 am
  #17  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by Jur
Rubbing an old towel over a wall does not kill the bacteries of the mould, that´s what the bleach is for as well.
As for splashing, a simple spray thingy will do.
I agree with you, but i know you being Dutch you may of used the wrong word as they are actually spores, if these are not killed by something such as bleach, then they will regrow within a week if the weather stays the same and the room stays damp.
As you know we are not talking bottles here just a solution like you would wash a floor with.
You are spot on with the applicator and there is no need to dry it off after, just open the windows and let the air blow through when ever possible.
jdr is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:29 pm
  #18  
Jur
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,980
Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by bil
OK, small science lesson here. There are no 'bacterias' in the mould. The black colour is the spores of the mould. These are very resistant to wetting, which is why you need to add washing up liquid as a wetting agent. (Only a small amount tho.)

The point I am trying to make is this. If you treat the problem too soon, it will come straight back. If you treat it at the end of the season, IT WILL COME BACK NEXT WINTER. That is the same whether you use washing up liquid, bleach, or fuming Nitric acid. The only way to prevent it coming back is to prevent condensation, and that would need the application of a dehumidifier 24/7. That costs.

In a bedroom, like ours, the walls are thin and cold. Condensation from breath at night wets the wall, and this allows the mould to get a hold. If I can find somewhere that sells tiles to cover the wall, I will tile the walls concerned with insulating tiles, and paint over them which should cure the problem.

The final point again is this. Treatment of mould is only going to be temporary unless you can treat the cause 100%.

If the cure is temporary then isn't it better to use water and a couple of pence worth of fairy liquid than bottles of toxic bleach which will damage shin, lungs et al?
Ok, my treatment seems to work ok, a small amount of mould does return every six months or so. But it seems the most effective in combination with constant ventilation.

Bil, the spores in the mould are they a health hazard?

Originally Posted by jdr
I agree with you, but i know you being Dutch you may of used the wrong word as they are actually spores, if these are not killed by something such as bleach, then they will regrow within a week if the weather stays the same and the room stays damp.
As you know we are not talking bottles here just a solution like you would wash a floor with.
You are spot on with the applicator and there is no need to dry it off after, just open the windows and let the air blow through when ever possible.
Thanks for the corrctions jdr & Bil.
I guess that with all this rain everyone´s trying to keep their houses warm-ish and mould free. What I do find is that slowly in loads of places in the Huelva area are developing much more growth of moss. They´re spore related as well aren´t they? (or produce spores)
Jur is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:40 pm
  #19  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by Jur
Ok, my treatment seems to work ok, a small amount of mould does return every six months or so. But it seems the most effective in combination with constant ventilation.

Bil, the spores in the mould are they a health hazard?



Thanks for the corrctions jdr & Bil.
I guess that with all this rain everyone´s trying to keep their houses warm-ish and mould free. What I do find is that slowly in loads of places in the Huelva area are developing much more growth of moss. They´re spore related as well aren´t they? (or produce spores)
Potentially they could be a health hazard, which is why I am keen to stop them forming. As I say, I see no difference in results, so I go with simplest option. I just don't see a need to spray bleach all about, even if it is a dilute solution.

Here's a thought, do one wall with my method and then compare them.

Moss. I'm no botanist so I had to look this up. Yes they do have a spore stage, which makes sense if they are to disseminate in a comparatively dry world.
bil is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 9:02 pm
  #20  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heated towel rails

I have never seen so much black on the rustico floor tiles on the walkways as this year, looks like a power blaster job.
jdr is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:55 pm
  #21  
Jur
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,980
Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by bil
Potentially they could be a health hazard, which is why I am keen to stop them forming. As I say, I see no difference in results, so I go with simplest option. I just don't see a need to spray bleach all about, even if it is a dilute solution.

Here's a thought, do one wall with my method and then compare them.

Moss. I'm no botanist so I had to look this up. Yes they do have a spore stage, which makes sense if they are to disseminate in a comparatively dry world.
Hi, I don´t have any real problems( only a corner in the bathroom and another one in the main bedroom, the areas are too small for testing, I think it´s the OP which maybe needs to have a go.

Basically, what we do is open all windows in the afternoon when the temperatures are a bit higher and the damp less. In the evenings we heat our house with central heating + a woodburner. And run a dehumidifier from time to time, which we bought for € 200 but it´s been well worth it.
Jur is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:05 pm
  #22  
Jur
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,980
Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by lunacrout
No - and it's on the old rustic side of the house so there isn't even glass in the window - just a wooden shutter
Time to get an upgrade then!

We got some pine window frames from Leroy Merlin, had double glas put in at the cristaleria ánd they have wooden shutters on the inside. The difference is amazing!

We´ve got an old place as well, been working on it for 6 years now and there´s still a draught......
Jur is offline  
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:17 pm
  #23  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 251
lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by Jur
Time to get an upgrade then!

We got some pine window frames from Leroy Merlin, had double glas put in at the cristaleria ánd they have wooden shutters on the inside. The difference is amazing!

We´ve got an old place as well, been working on it for 6 years now and there´s still a draught......
Well we're planning to do a major reform on the back of the house so that will come in time

One of the main causes probably is that we've been leaving the bath water in ready for when our dogs come back from their adventures in the campo so we can just 'dunk' them straight in to get rid of the mud

Since we wiped the walls down & dried the room out, we'll not do be doing that again!!!

(I still think I'd like a heated towel rail for next winter though

.

Last edited by lunacrout; Feb 26th 2010 at 11:20 pm.
lunacrout is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:33 am
  #24  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heated towel rails

Originally Posted by Jur
Time to get an upgrade then!

We got some pine window frames from Leroy Merlin, had double glas put in at the cristaleria ánd they have wooden shutters on the inside. The difference is amazing!

We´ve got an old place as well, been working on it for 6 years now and there´s still a draught......
We went for the sliding aluminiums with shutters. The wood windows in a friend's house have been giving him serious grief and he's going to have to replace them all.
bil is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.