Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain

Wikiposts

Healthcare in Spain

Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi all, When we finally retire to Spain Will we have to bring our own medical records with us and if so, Who do you give any medical records to? Thanks, Steve.
We brought all our medical records over with us. They have never been asked for once (state or private)...A good idea to have them though just in case.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 7:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
We brought all our medical records over with us. They have never been asked for once (state or private)...A good idea to have them though just in case.
You can ask for a copy of your medical records from your local doctor easily enough. Like you, we have never been asked for them in Spain, in fact they never asked us for a history of our medical details at all.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You can ask for a copy of your medical records from your local doctor easily enough. Like you, we have never been asked for them in Spain, in fact they never asked us for a history of our medical details at all.
that is so true, when I came out I went to my local medical centre and presented the GP with a printout of of my hyper-tension medication from the on-line booking/prescription and he just started to prescribe as in the UK.
did question the strength of one item, but the next month agreed that it was OK.

`
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2976
I am in the private system, and was once asked for the results of a mammogram I'd had in the UK before moving to Spain (they wanted it so they could monitor the progression of a condition). I explained that in the UK the patient is not given the mammogram or X-ray films as they are here (I have quite a file building up, just from the results of routine checks like blood tests, bone density scans, etc!), just a letter saying no abnormalities had been identitied, and they didn't ask me to obtain a copy from the health authority.

In the Spanish state health system, is the patient always given copies of all such results themselves? During the two years I originally had state health cover, I only went to a doctor once for a sinus infection, so I'm just interested to know if it's different.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:44 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hospitals always give a print out of treatment etc. Sometimes a GP will give one of blood test results but it depends on the Doctor.
We used helicopteros Sanitarios as you can get a home visit 24/7. They gave a full extensive resume to take to your GP. When my OH took it to his GP he never even glanced at it, tossed it to one side and started from scratch!

When he had a recurrence of an old knee problem and OH wasn't sure what had been done in the UK. the Spanish GP asked him to contact the UK for details. They faxed it over to GP within 24 hours.

Last edited by jackytoo; Feb 15th 2013 at 9:47 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody for all the informative answers. Steve
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Healthcare in Spain

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I am in the private system, and was once asked for the results of a mammogram I'd had in the UK before moving to Spain (they wanted it so they could monitor the progression of a condition). I explained that in the UK the patient is not given the mammogram or X-ray films as they are here (I have quite a file building up, just from the results of routine checks like blood tests, bone density scans, etc!), just a letter saying no abnormalities had been identitied, and they didn't ask me to obtain a copy from the health authority.

In the Spanish state health system, is the patient always given copies of all such results themselves? During the two years I originally had state health cover, I only went to a doctor once for a sinus infection, so I'm just interested to know if it's different.
Seems to be the case here in Spain all our friends who have had X-rays etc are given their film to carry from machine to doctor then to hospital and they end up retaining it. Back in UK I was once sent by NHS to another town to a private clinic for a colonoscopy and given the results to carry back to my home and retained those. Don't know what happens in either country for such as MRI scans I suppose they could give you those on disc we will find out when I have my knee scanned for cartlidge problems.

UK was trying to get to the position where everything was stored on computer but I think that huge project has been cancelled and just your surgery and the local hospital seem to be connected now but I doubt the link has the speed and capacity for sending scans and such like.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 15th 2013 at 9:57 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 10:39 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
UK was trying to get to the position where everything was stored on computer but I think that huge project has been cancelled and just your surgery and the local hospital seem to be connected now but I doubt the link has the speed and capacity for sending scans and such like.
Not sure about scans but the UK GP accesses X-rays by computer. In Spain OH was given all his stuff on sort of tape and disc by the Hospital CDS to take to Carlos Haya in MƔlaga. Was a real parcel of stuff
Old Feb 15th 2013, 11:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Nowadays in the UK GPs and hospitals are usually linked by computer and so can access the patients results without having to wait for a paper copy, but most labs, X-ray depts also send out paper copies, where we lived in Spain that was also the case, and local health centre transferred results to a different area via computer. There was a scheme in the UK to set up a UK wide database so that all GPs and hospitals could access results from anywhere, and that was the rationale for changing from hospital numbers to using the NHS number, and incidentally why the NHS numbers were changed and are now allocated at birth. When a friend was repatriated from Spain to the UK with terminal cancer he was sent with his Spanish results on a CD.
We took our UK medical records with us when we moved to Spain, and handed them in when we first went to the health centre, no idea what they did with them, although we did take a list of prescribed medicines and dosages separately.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

I used to deal with medical negligence in the UK and can only speak for Wales. Yes they supposedly all linked up. They are not for reasons of patient confidentiality. We in Wales are still struggling with e-prescriptions for a number of reasons.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:00 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, no secrets, everything given to the patient. Our doctor always looked at results on the computer with the screen turned for us to see rather than print them out but I have a huge pile of printouts from all of GrahamĀ“s visits to A & E and of course his numerous stays in the hospital. I have 3 dated the same day, discharged in the morning, A & E visit in the afternoon and then again in the evening.

Rosemary
Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:55 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Yes, no secrets, everything given to the patient. Our doctor always looked at results on the computer with the screen turned for us to see rather than print them out but I have a huge pile of printouts from all of GrahamĀ“s visits to A & E and of course his numerous stays in the hospital. I have 3 dated the same day, discharged in the morning, A & E visit in the afternoon and then again in the evening.

Rosemary
We used to get them as print outs sent to our house in Spain, and even after they stopped doing that I always looked at all our results as I could always understand tham having worked in a pathology lab all my working life. I even get them shown to me in the UK as the doctors know I understand them, and they will explain any changes made to the significance of the results in the years since I retired.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
We used to get them as print outs sent to our house in Spain, and even after they stopped doing that I always looked at all our results as I could always understand tham having worked in a pathology lab all my working life. I even get them shown to me in the UK as the doctors know I understand them, and they will explain any changes made to the significance of the results in the years since I retired.
I have no medical training whatsoever, but a very bad habit of looking stuff up on the internet whenever I get given the results of blood tests or whatever, before I even take them for the doctor to see!

I can't do that with stuff like ultrasound or mammogram results, of course.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Healthcare in Spain

I have no medical training whatsoever, but a very bad habit of looking stuff up on the internet whenever I get given the results of blood tests or whatever, before I even take them for the doctor to see!

I can't do that with stuff like ultrasound or mammogram results, of course.
Our doctor Magdalena has a low opinion of us when we go into the clinic and say I have these symptoms and have looked it up on google and I am about to die of dengue fever. She says in her best English then get google to give you a prescription and cure you!

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 16th 2013 at 4:42 am.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Our doctor Magdalena has a low opinion of us when we go into the clinic and say I have these symptoms and have looked it up on google and I am about to die of dengue fever. She says in her best English then get google to give you a prescription and cure you!
I did say it was a bad habit, but I can't help it, if somebody gives me a piece of paper I have to read it and find out what it means!

Sometimes I think a bit more research wouldn't come amiss in the medical profession, though - we were watching a programme about junior doctors one night this week, there not being anything more entertaining on, and one of them got a patient who had COPD. He had to look up what it meant in a book as he had no idea! I thought their knowledge would have to be a bit more advanced than that before they were let loose on patients, but apparently not. Another one mixed up the labelling on two blood samples she was sending off for tests and got back a result for the wrong patient! Luckily she did realise what she'd done and was able to get the test repeated, but what if she hadn't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.