Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare in Spain

Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
It really does open up a new discussion though doesnt it.

The lady is fiddling the system accessing something she had paid into her whole life? Whereas if she had it done in Spain then the NHS would still end up paying through the reciprocal agreement? This aint quite the same morally imho as claiming housing benefit or unemployment whilst living in Spain.

Its a question of location I guess. Peoples health is very important to them and having the reassurance of discussing matters in a system you have been in all your life may come into it
Brings to mind the "lady" from Nigeria who arrived on a plane heavily pregnant with quins. Insisted she was on a planned holiday visiting her sister. Obtained over £250,000 medical assistance prior to and post birth and instead of going home announced she would be applying to stay in the UK.

Then there was the young girl who came with her father from Pakistan to visit her uncle for 6 months who became seriously ill in month 5. When the local hospital demanded £11,000 payment her uncle said he had been paying into the system and he thought it should be free.

I am sure there are other stories around. But at the end of the day, a lady returning to the UK for the treatment is surely at the bottom end of the benefits scam, to the point of misuse of services - vastly different.

`
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:57 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Many UK lady pensioners living in Spain have never worked in the UK and the majoirty who did took the option to pay the small stamp.

Is it moral to decide which rules are OK to break?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The lady is fiddling the system accessing something she had paid into her whole life? Whereas if she had it done in Spain then the NHS would still end up paying through the reciprocal agreement? This aint quite the same morally imho as claiming housing benefit or unemployment whilst living in Spain.

Its a question of location I guess. Peoples health is very important to them and having the reassurance of discussing matters in a system you have been in all your life may come into it
I agree with you Mitzy just seems odd that if "in the Spanish System" why not get the treatment in Spain where you live, unless of course something happened whilst in the UK that needed her to have the op there, which would then surely fall within the remit of the EHIC. I suppose fairness doesn't come into it at the end of the day it is rules that count.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:20 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Many UK lady pensioners living in Spain have never worked in the UK and the majoirty who did took the option to pay the small stamp.

Is it moral to decide which rules are OK to break?
are you suggesting their husbands didn't pay in for them ??

usually when some one says "Rules is Rules" they are called a "jobsworth".
Rules lay down the basis of operation but there always have to be the occasions when you have to circumvent the rules.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The lady is fiddling the system accessing something she had paid into her whole life? Whereas if she had it done in Spain then the NHS would still end up paying through the reciprocal agreement?
The problem is that the NHS end up paying twice. They have already paid out €4000 every year to the Spanish NHS to cover her treatment and are now having to pay for it in the UK as well.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Not all laws are moral, or just

We can all choose which laws we will follow and which we will take our chances with

But by doing that, you lose all rights to complain about other people scamming the system (in my opinion). And if you get caught, then fair dues, you will have to take the punishment
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Rules lay down the basis of operation but there always have to be the occasions when you have to circumvent the rules.

That is not what I meant or said I said it is rules that count in other words if you are caught out circumventing the rules, saying I have paid in etc will get you no where, the authorities will just point you in the direction of the rules.

I personally do not think that the system is anywhere near fair as many like me will have paid into and helped keep the system going with our NI contributions through a full working life. I have also said previously that for me this shows that the EU system is disjointed.

Fred does make a good point though that if you are legally in the Spanish system but go back to UK and obtain more than emergency treatment that should have been obtained in Spain, the UK pays twice.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by bobd22

That is not what I meant or said I said it is rules that count in other words if you are caught out circumventing the rules, saying I have paid in etc will get you no where, the authorities will just point you in the direction of the rules.

I personally do not think that the system is anywhere near fair as many like me will have paid into and helped keep the system going with our NI contributions through a full working life. I have also said previously that for me this shows that the EU system is disjointed.

Fred does make a good point though that if you are legally in the Spanish system but go back to UK and obtain more than emergency treatment that should have been obtained in Spain, the UK pays twice.
bob, I appreciate it is not what you said, this could turn into a very delicate subject - or alot of posters will just not post in case the incriminate themselves.
I am sure many could point to people who have "gone home" for this and that, the same ones who are complaining they can't get BBC on their satellite dishes - even though they have paid for it. And they are using Sky boxes outside the licensed boundaries of use. Or using IP disguising systems to sneak in the back door.

No system will be truly fair, there will always winners and users. And it is now up to those who are living and working in the UK to stamp on those committing the abuse - born in the UK or any other country. We are out of it, our day is done.

`
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:17 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
are you suggesting their husbands didn't pay in for them ??

I was commenting on this statemant:
The lady is fiddling the system accessing something she had paid into her whole life?
and pointing out that this is unlikely.

To access UK NHS, she would have to make a false declaration. There is no need to tell lies when she could access the Spanish system.

I make no moral judgement on those who choose to abuse the system. I agree with Cricketman. Let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone..

Last edited by missile; Jan 21st 2013 at 2:27 am.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To access UK NHS, she would have to make a false declaration. There is no need to tell lies when she could access the Spanish system.[/QUOTE]
at
Yes that is what confuses me

Dom yes I agree with you in the sense that it is for those in the UK but as you point out the abuses that happen in the UK from those coming from outside is unbelievable but allowed. Of course expats will get no sympathy as they have "moved out to a better and warmer land".

I am still between UK and Spain and the EHIC or lack of getting one anywhere I have only just realised. I think back to the garbage I remember being told years ago when they wanted us to join the Common Market, you will get in other countries what you get here!!!!!!! Right?

Must admit I thought I had done my research but missed the EHIC point as I said earlier luckily I kept on the Police Fed Insurance which will cover me in Spain or UK (depending where I am resident) for 2 months at a time untill I am 65 when I will (hopefully) get my state pension and free health cover. Obviously when I move to Spain full time until that point I will get private health cover.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:35 am
Started off with nothing

bod,
Please be advised: The health care in Spain is very good, but like in the UK the service is better in some regions that others. I would suggest you make this an item on your check list when you decide where you want to live.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Already got the house missile had it 5 years, off course things have changed in both countries in that time. We will keep a house in the UK. Maybe that we will just do half and half until we can see through the dust that this crisis is causing.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:48 am
Started off with nothing

Sorry, I thought you were still looking.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by bobd22
Already got the house missile had it 5 years, off course things have changed in both countries in that time. We will keep a house in the UK. Maybe that we will just do half and half until we can see through the dust that this crisis is causing.
so where will you get your medicals from ??

from the little the BH and I have seen of Spain's health system the only thing we can see that could anyone off would be the language (isn't it always).

`
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
so where will you get your medicals from ??

from the little the BH and I have seen of Spain's health system the only thing we can see that could anyone off would be the language (isn't it always).

`
Yes, but language is a hugely important thing when your life could depend on it.

Spain's medical treatment and surgery is excellent, although some of the older hospitals are very dingy and basic looking, although normally very clean. The more modern hospitals are amazing

I'm sure its a case of "better the devil you know" for most people. They will feel more comfortable in the NHS because they know how it works, good and bad

It's amazing how little British people see healthcare as a priority when they move countries. Probably because they have always had it to use whenever they have wanted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.