Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Spain

Healthcare in Spain

Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Healthcare in Spain

Originally Posted by Domino
The EU law says that the EHIC is issued by the country where you are resident and receiving medical cover.

A UK issued EHIC has no validity in the UK, only in other countries within the EU.

As to early retirement, well it can depend on how early

An S1 can only be issued for a maximum of 2 years, although it can be renewed in certain cases such as those working for govt departments, embassies etc.
After that you will require medical insurance until such time as the actual retirement date, after which a "permanant" S1 is issued. My local experience tells me they know exactly what to do with it, and I had an acknowledgement back inside 10 days - but some may have a different story.
My biggest problem has been the local medical centre not knowing which direction to send paper relating to guiri's.

`
I don't want to disagree, but after heaven only knows how many conversations with DWP, EHICs can be issued for the UK, even when resident in Spain.
In my case, I now live in France but work a day or two a month in the UK, and pay tax and NI in the UK on my earnings.
Overseas Healthcare issue my EHIC. This also happened when I lived in Spain.

On an extra note, I was pleasantly surprised when I read it to discover that French comprehensive car insurance includes travel and health cover. Our agent told me that many English people here do not know about it as they cannot read the policy. Does anyone know if that might also be the case in spain? Or not?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The EU law says that the EHIC is issued by the country where you are resident and receiving medical cover.

A UK issued EHIC has no validity in the UK, only in other countries within the EU.
`
That all changed. EHICs are issued by the country paying for your healthcare. In the case of UK pensioners living in Spain who were issued with an E121/S1 then their costs are paid by the UK and the UK issues the EHIC.

Normally a UK issued EHIC is not valid in the UK but these "special" cards have a special code on them which allows them to be used in the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

`
Afraid that's incorrect (as mentioned by Fred). I already said that I have actually done this and the "Spanish" (for the sake of clearness) EHIC card was issued by DWP Newcastle and is valid for my trips to the UK and other EU countries but NOT Spain
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:11 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I got it a little bit wrong

but my post was based on the information that I hold as current.
It would be helpful if more links were provided so everyone can read the latest current situation

rgds
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:30 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The links in the Free Beer thread are all very old and not updated.

If you wish, you can enter any useful information in the forum Wiki.

Other than that, if you want the latest links you can always Google for them.

If you would like to take on the job of updating all the Free Beer info I am sure that can be arranged.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:34 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The links in the Free Beer thread are all very old and not updated.

If you wish, you can enter any useful information in the forum Wiki.

Other than that, if you want the latest links you can always Google for them.

If you would like to take on the job of updating all the Free Beer info I am sure that can be arranged.
how much are you paying ??

didnt get any free beer either
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion on the EHIC was for those who might be travelling. Not a substitute for long-term cover.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:31 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If an ex-pat pensioner goes to the UK and uses their EHIC for non-urgent treatment (many do), who picks up the tab? Would it be Spain seeing that the UK is paying about 6000pa. to Spain for their treatment. I visited a friend over Xmas and she is in the UK for a couple of months for a heart op although she is in the spanish system.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If an ex-pat pensioner goes to the UK and uses their EHIC for non-urgent treatment (many do), who picks up the tab? Would it be Spain seeing that the UK is paying about 6000pa. to Spain for their treatment. I visited a friend over Xmas and she is in the UK for a couple of months for a heart op although she is in the spanish system.
Well in theory it shouldn,t be used for non urgent treatment, and therefore the NHS is failing in granting it.

Some many years ago I needed to see a doctor in the UK and went but was charged £30 for a consultation. If it happened to me then it should happen to all.

I have the "Spanish" EHIC card but have never used it. I have annual travel insurance so cover it that way.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that your friend is resident in Spain then it isnt actually legal for her to come to the UK for a heart operation, unless her heart actually packed in while she was on holiday

If the NHS check the records properly then she should get a bill which she would need to pay personally. The same would happen if she was resident in the UK but went to Spain for a heart operation

Of course, the Spanish hospital is much more likely to check their records carefully than the British one
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

When one checks into hospital in UK there is a form where you are asked if you are UK resident. Your friend is honest then she ought to be getting it done in Spain or paying for the treatment - unless it is an emergency.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know it's not correct but it seems to be happening a lot. There are also still a lot below pension age living in Spain and using a EHIC card as their only means to get free medical. Although quite rightly they have tightened up on the CDS.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Thing with travel insurance is (certainly some of the ones I have had for holidays) that you should also have EHIC as well as the insurance, but as if you are early retired and living in Spain you are unable to get one? not condoning fiddling the system but start to see why some do i.e. live in Spain but don't de register from Doctor. I am at a loss to see though why if you are in the Spanish system and entitled to get the treatment/operation required in Spain you go to the UK and fiddle the system?
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:47 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
.... I am at a loss to see though why if you are in the Spanish system and entitled to get the treatment/operation required in Spain you go to the UK and fiddle the system?
Many never bother to learn spanish and feel comfortable going back "home" to wait in line for treatment from an Indian doctor.

PS: In case you are in any doubt - I was being sarcastic.
I have great respect for foreign doctors. Without them, NHS waiting times would be even worse than they are now.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:49 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bobd22
Thing with travel insurance is (certainly some of the ones I have had for holidays) that you should also have EHIC as well as the insurance, but as if you are early retired and living in Spain you are unable to get one? not condoning fiddling the system but start to see why some do i.e. live in Spain but don't de register from Doctor. I am at a loss to see though why if you are in the Spanish system and entitled to get the treatment/operation required in Spain you go to the UK and fiddle the system?
It really does open up a new discussion though doesnt it.

The lady is fiddling the system accessing something she had paid into her whole life? Whereas if she had it done in Spain then the NHS would still end up paying through the reciprocal agreement? This aint quite the same morally imho as claiming housing benefit or unemployment whilst living in Spain.

Its a question of location I guess. Peoples health is very important to them and having the reassurance of discussing matters in a system you have been in all your life may come into it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.