Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health care in Spain

Health care in Spain

Old May 11th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care in Spain

Originally Posted by robd955
I am very confused by it all & ive had a day of making calls to tax credit people & disability people & bereavement benefit people etc etc . Maybe I should have begun my research 20 years ago - I might have had the answers.
If you are on disability or long term incapacity benefit you will be entitled to free health care even though you are under retirement age, any of your dependents would also get free health care.

Ask the DHSS about it.
Old May 11th 2011, 8:31 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Private health insurance costs are around the same as the Valencian scheme, around 300 Euros a quarter, but the private one will not cover you for pre-existing conditions, the Valencian one will, but you need to be resident.

Severe disability, for which payment is received in the UK, can make you eligible for cover under the free (NHS) scheme in Spain, but it depends on the severity of the disability - Newcastle would know the answer.

Some people get by on the free EHIC, providing they have a bolt hole back in the UK should things go wrong, so selling up in the UK to buy here would be wrong. At this time it would be wrong to buy in Spain anyway, the house prices are in free fall.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Private health insurance costs are around the same as the Valencian scheme, around 300 Euros a quarter, but the private one will not cover you for pre-existing conditions, the Valencian one will, but you need to be resident.

Severe disability, for which payment is received in the UK, can make you eligible for cover under the free (NHS) scheme in Spain, but it depends on the severity of the disability - Newcastle would know the answer.

Some people get by on the free EHIC, providing they have a bolt hole back in the UK should things go wrong, so selling up in the UK to buy here would be wrong. At this time it would be wrong to buy in Spain anyway, the house prices are in free fall.
Whilst they might be getting away with it, it's not legal! The EHIC is ONLY for temporary visits away from your normal country of residence (UK). It also does NOT cover major issues which might require continual treatment.

An example is that I slipped a disc a few years ago and needed an operation. Under the EHIC, I was allowed to get a pain injection but had to go back to the UK to have the operation to sort out the herniated disc.

The Government in Spain is really clamping down on this type of fraud at the moment so should NOT be attempted or recommended.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:01 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Whilst they might be getting away with it, it's not legal! The EHIC is ONLY for temporary visits away from your normal country of residence (UK). It also does NOT cover major issues which might require continual treatment.

An example is that I slipped a disc a few years ago and needed an operation. Under the EHIC, I was allowed to get a pain injection but had to go back to the UK to have the operation to sort out the herniated disc.

The Government in Spain is really clamping down on this type of fraud at the moment so should NOT be attempted or recommended.
It's ridiculous to suggest it to be fraud. Many people, especially elder ones, are able to have holidays for lengths of their choosing, and there is no time limit imposed by the form EHIC. If they want to spend a couple of months in Spain, followed by a few months elsewhere, then return to the UK for a few weeks and start all over again, they are free to do so, and use the EHIC.

And the tens of thousands of expats who happily live in Spain are not committing any fraud if they choose to not bother with residencia and some of the other daft things that some people continually fret about. Parking on a yellow line is a more serious 'fraud'.

The Spanish authorities aren't bothered, why on earth should we?
Old May 11th 2011, 10:11 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It's ridiculous to suggest it to be fraud. Many people, especially elder ones, are able to have holidays for lengths of their choosing, and there is no time limit imposed by the form EHIC. If they want to spend a couple of months in Spain, followed by a few months elsewhere, then return to the UK for a few weeks and start all over again, they are free to do so, and use the EHIC.

And the tens of thousands of expats who happily live in Spain are not committing any fraud if they choose to not bother with residencia and some of the other daft things that some people continually fret about. Parking on a yellow line is a more serious 'fraud'.

The Spanish authorities aren't bothered, why on earth should we?
Oh yes they are - residents with only an EHIC card are now being turned away unless it's an emergency. I agree that the EHIC can be used for temporary visits abroad (I stated this in my previous post).

It's also the rules that you SHOULD get a residencia if you have left the UK to live here.

I can't belive that you are advocating breaking so many Spanish rules
Old May 11th 2011, 10:13 am
Just Joined

robd955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by megmet
If you are on disability or long term incapacity benefit you will be entitled to free health care even though you are under retirement age, any of your dependents would also get free health care.

Ask the DHSS about it.
Thanks, it would make it easier if i was on disability, but im not. I am looking into the fact that i am on Bereavement benefit & whether that makes a difference.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks, it would make it easier if i was on disability, but im not. I am looking into the fact that i am on Bereavement benefit & whether that makes a difference.
Im a bit clearer now, I will be able to access free health care if i am in receipt of Bereavement benefit, but only if my daughter is in college until she reaches age 18. She is 16 now.
Old May 11th 2011, 10:58 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im a bit clearer now, I will be able to access free health care if i am in receipt of Bereavement benefit, but only if my daughter is in college until she reaches age 18. She is 16 now.
Wow, I would never have thought that Bereavement benefit would count the same as disability benefit.
Old May 11th 2011, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Wow, I would never have thought that Bereavement benefit would count the same as disability benefit.
I know - its all a bit complicated really.
Old May 11th 2011, 11:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even know it existed!!

I had to have a read up on it cos I was shocked that there is such a thing

apparently it lasts for a year...so presumably once it stops the OP would no longer be entitled to the free health care
Old May 11th 2011, 11:30 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I didn't even know it existed!!

I had to have a read up on it cos I was shocked that there is such a thing

apparently it lasts for a year...so presumably once it stops the OP would no longer be entitled to the free health care
Do you think they decided that you would be over it after a year then
Old May 11th 2011, 11:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think they decided that you would be over it after a year then
well they can't keep paying it forever, can they?
Old May 11th 2011, 11:40 am
Senior Moment

well they can't keep paying it forever, can they?
No, for sure ... but like my sister said ... when you are grieving such a time limit for you being set almost seems a little devoid of feeling (which of course, it is)
Old May 11th 2011, 11:49 am
¿Dónde estoy?

No, for sure ... but like my sister said ... when you are grieving such a time limit for you being set almost seems a little devoid of feeling (which of course, it is)
well yes, you're right - there is no time limit for grieving - but there has to be a time limit for such a benefit, of course

actually I just read up a little more

the Bereavement allowance is payable for up to a year - you don't qualify if you have school age children

if you have children it's a different allowance entirely - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ed/DG_10018848 which lasts until the child stops qualifying for child benefit, it seems - which makes sense

I'm surprised that it's transportable, though
Old May 11th 2011, 11:58 am
Senior Moment

I'm surprised that it's transportable, though
Death recognises no frontiers I guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.