Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health care in Spain

Health care in Spain

Old May 10th 2011, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

robd955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health care in Spain

Hi, Im 60 & looking to relocate to Spain from England with my Youngest daughter ( age 16). I want to know how to enter the healthcare system. Because I have diabetes & Arthritis I need to know that I am fully covered. My daughter wants to work part time or go to college part time.
Ive already had conflicting info re the above.

We want to relocate to around Alicante.

Many thanks
robd555
Old May 10th 2011, 1:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health care in Spain

Hi robd955,

So pleased to see you decided to register. As I mentioned previously I'm not in Spain but I'm sure one of our Spain regulars will be along soon to give you some pointers.

I hope you enjoy being part of our community and if you get stuck on anything please let myself, our Spain moderators Mitzyboy or Fred James, or our Concierges, The Oddities know.

Sue
Old May 10th 2011, 3:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you. Yet another set of great help is the permanente threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Regarding health care it appears to be slightly different in the different provinces so have you any idea as yet to where you might end up?

Diabetics receive their prescriptions free, needles are free from the health centre but the lancets have to be paid for.

Rosemary
Old May 10th 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you. Yet another set of great help is the permanente threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Regarding health care it appears to be slightly different in the different provinces so have you any idea as yet to where you might end up?

Diabetics receive their prescriptions free, needles are free from the health centre but the lancets have to be paid for.

Rosemary
Hi, thank you- we are looking at areas around Alicante ( within 40 mnts drive from the Airport.
Old May 10th 2011, 4:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robd955
Hi, Im 60 & looking to relocate to Spain from England with my Youngest daughter ( age 16). I want to know how to enter the healthcare system. Because I have diabetes & Arthritis I need to know that I am fully covered. My daughter wants to work part time or go to college part time.
Ive already had conflicting info re the above.

We want to relocate to around Alicante.

Many thanks
robd555
Hi & welcome.

The first thing to note is that you are currently below retirement age and it sounds as though you don't intend working in Spain (an assumption I know).

Given the above, before you come to Spain, contact the DWP and fill in form S1 - this should entitle you up to 2 years reciprocal health care in Spain (for you and your daughter). After that, then it looks like you have to go private although there are various other options that may be appropriate (do a search on this forum).

Best of luck.
Old May 10th 2011, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Hi & welcome.

The first thing to note is that you are currently below retirement age and it sounds as though you don't intend working in Spain (an assumption I know).

Given the above, before you come to Spain, contact the DWP and fill in form S1 - this should entitle you up to 2 years reciprocal health care in Spain (for you and your daughter). After that, then it looks like you have to go private although there are various other options that may be appropriate (do a search on this forum).

Best of luck.
Hi, & thank you for taking the time to reply. I have contacted DWP & seemingly the 2 years free treatment is now 3 months.
Old May 10th 2011, 4:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, & thank you for taking the time to reply. I have contacted DWP & seemingly the 2 years free treatment is now 3 months.

It depends on your NI payments over the last years. It can be UP TO 2 years if you have paid fully.

On the bright side, Private Health care is relatively low cost here .... Also if you are in the Valencia region you can pay into the system per quarter to gain health care
Old May 10th 2011, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
It depends on your NI payments over the last years. It can be UP TO 2 years if you have paid fully.

On the bright side, Private Health care is relatively low cost here .... Also if you are in the Valencia region you can pay into the system per quarter to gain health care
Hi, & thanks, re private health care - the cheapest quote I had was 900 euros , but that didnt cover pre exsisting conditions re my diabetes & Arthritis. I wouldnt mind paying into the " system" providing it covered pre exsisting conditions.
Gosh , I cant believe how complicated it can be - wish I was 65!
Old May 10th 2011, 4:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, & thanks, re private health care - the cheapest quote I had was 900 euros , but that didnt cover pre exsisting conditions re my diabetes & Arthritis. I wouldnt mind paying into the " system" providing it covered pre exsisting conditions.
Well, that is cheap compared to what you would pay in the UK, but of course no use if it doesnt cover existing.

Therefore think about moving further North into the Valencia region where you will be able to pay a monthly fee to access the health system, and it will cover existing conditions. Someone else on here may know the charges, I thought it was two hundred and something euros a quarter but I may be wrong
Old May 10th 2011, 4:40 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it 67 now (I think it is in Spain anyway).

I'm only 53 so have many more years to go . My quote for private cover was simply stupid (family of 5) and would not cover my existing back problem (requiring wheelchair etc. at some point!).

On the up-side, if you can get cover here then it is as good as in UK if not better.
Old May 10th 2011, 5:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was two hundred and something euros a quarter but I may be wrong
That rings a bell but remember it is €250 per person.
Old May 10th 2011, 5:23 pm
Retired and loving it!

But Alicante is in Valencia - or is there a difference between Province/Region and Communidad???? (Sorry, I get confused by all these words - why don't they call them Counties)
Old May 10th 2011, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

But Alicante is in Valencia - or is there a difference between Province/Region and Communidad???? (Sorry, I get confused by all these words - why don't they call them Counties)
I am very confused by it all & ive had a day of making calls to tax credit people & disability people & bereavement benefit people etc etc . Maybe I should have begun my research 20 years ago - I might have had the answers.
Old May 10th 2011, 7:34 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That rings a bell but remember it is €250 per person.

yes - around about that per person per quarter

yes - they are slightly different

comunidades

provinces

but you're right - the province of Alicante is in the comunidad of Valencia
Old May 10th 2011, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
yes - around about that per person per quarter

yes - they are slightly different

comunidades http://aulastic.com/blogs/planes/fil...omunidades.png

provinces http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Rl5caLdw4T...ias_espana.gifThank you That is a brilliant quote from Winnie the Pooh - I wish Winnie was running the health care service!

but you're right - the province of Alicante is in the comunidad of Valencia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.