Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Health Card/Doctor for over 65's.

Health Card/Doctor for over 65's.

Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough
Default Health Card/Doctor for over 65's.

Hi

Not sure what I am trying say makes sense, but here goes.

I am trying to find out about how to apply and/or register for health care when one reaches 65 in Andalucía.

Am I right or wrong in assuming, when one reaches 65 years of age, that you can apply for a health card and register with a doctor. If I am correct, how does one get a card; are there any forms where I can apply online and do I register at a local medical centre?

My and I have lived here for 6 years, both of us hold residencía cards, registered on our local padron etc, but never needed health care, so have never registered with a doctor. I reach 65 in 2 weeks time and my wife is 50 next year.

Any help or suitable suggestions on what we should do?

Regards
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Card/Doctor for over 65's.

I assume you have never worked in Spain or you would already be on the system.

If you are UK pensioners then you can apply for form E121 from the International Pension Centre in Newcastle and then you will be able to get on the Spanish system.

Details at

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/e121/
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you have worked in Spain you will need to apply through the Spanish system.

When you apply for pension and the E121`s don`t forget to get them for your wife too as your dependant then she will be covered also.

They should of sent you forms to apply about 3 months before your birthday, but like you I never got mine on time.
Phone them up and have a chat to them, you may be able to fill forms in on line ti save time, they are very helpful although you will get a different person every time. ;-)
The international Pensions number is 0044 191 21 87777

Last edited by jdr; Dec 4th 2009 at 12:52 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the replies.

Neither of us have worked in Spain, we stopped working in 2003 in the UK and then moved over, living on some capital and a small private pension.

Both of us have UK European Health Cards, which expire towards the end of 2001.

About 2 years ago, a friend of ours said something about a form one could download from an Andalucian Gorbierno website - may have been Seguridad Social or Salud unfortunately, forgot to save the website. And of course, with my bad memory, I cannot remember which site.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Thank you for the replies.

Neither of us have worked in Spain, we stopped working in 2003 in the UK and then moved over, living on some capital and a small private pension.

Both of us have UK European Health Cards, which expire towards the end of 2001.

About 2 years ago, a friend of ours said something about a form one could download from an Andalucian Gorbierno website - may have been Seguridad Social or Salud unfortunately, forgot to save the website. And of course, with my bad memory, I cannot remember which site.
Your EHIC cards have never been valid here since you came to live here. They were for emergency use only when you were a UK resident when yoiu were on holiday abroad.

All you need to do is ring the number you have been given and they will send you the forms.

Eventually you take your E121 docs to the local Dept de Seguridad, they issue another document which you take to the local health centre. They issue a SIP and you then register with a local doctor
Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

All you need to do is ring the number you have been given and they will send you the forms.

Eventually you take your E121 docs to the local Dept de Seguridad, they issue another document which you take to the local health centre. They issue a SIP and you then register with a local doctor
What you have just said and I have quoted, is now coming back to me. Our friend said something about taking a form to our local Seguridad office and going to the health centre for the step.

Thanks for you help - mucho appreciated. I knew I could rely on someone on this forum in giving an answer.

regards
Old Dec 4th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

tuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nice

What you have just said and I have quoted, is now coming back to me. Our friend said something about taking a form to our local Seguridad office and going to the health centre for the step.

Thanks for you help - mucho appreciated. I knew I could rely on someone on this forum in giving an answer.

regards
Once you register here in Spain for health you will not be eligible for treatment in the u/k. If you visit the u/k or any other country you will need a EHIC card which is quite easy to obtain but only valid for 12 months I believe. Ed
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuk-tuk
Once you register here in Spain for health you will not be eligible for treatment in the u/k. If you visit the u/k or any other country you will need a EHIC card which is quite easy to obtain but only valid for 12 months I believe. Ed
Yeah, I believe they are just changing the system, it maybe that the future EHIC cards could be issued in the UK!!!!
Anyways, I took out travel insurance annually
Old Dec 4th 2009, 7:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, after March next year if you are resident in Spain you will get your EHIC from the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Good Morning

I have emailed the International Pension Centre in Newcastle to request E121 documentation, but, I woke up in the middle of the night, thinking what if we cannot get an E121 as neither my wife and I have worked in the UK and Spain for the last 6 years, as we have been residents here in Spain. Although, both of us have National Insurance Numbers and pay UK Income Tax.

In the worst scenario, would it mean we may have to take out private medical insurance, which neither of us could afford to pay?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 7:51 am
Senior Moment

Good Morning

I have emailed the International Pension Centre in Newcastle to request E121 documentation, but, I woke up in the middle of the night, thinking what if we cannot get an E121 as neither my wife and I have worked in the UK and Spain for the last 6 years, as we have been residents here in Spain. Although, both of us have National Insurance Numbers and pay UK Income Tax.

In the worst scenario, would it mean we may have to take out private medical insurance, which neither of us could afford to pay?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
I think you will find your worries are unfounded. Just think, if you dont work throughout most of your life in the UK (i.e. bringing up kids as a housewife) you are still entitled to free healthcare in the UK.

Have you had a pension forcast as well?

I havent worked anywhere for 4 years and am still OK for health care even as a dependent
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes, after March next year if you are resident in Spain you will get your EHIC from the UK.
Why? Does that apply to all?

Would I get an EHIC from the UK to go on holiday to France, for example, despite living in Spain?
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by rachelk
Why? Does that apply to all?

Would I get an EHIC from the UK to go on holiday to France, for example, despite living in Spain?
Have a look here

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/ehic/
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Thanks. Just pensioners, it seems.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by rachelk
Thanks. Just pensioners, it seems.
If you are not covered by an E121 and don't have Spanish state health cover and are not resident in the UK then it seems that you will not be able to get an EHIC at all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.