Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hayfever - Please help

Hayfever - Please help

Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:57 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hayfever - Please help

I suffer terribly with hayfever and thought moving near the coast would help. Not a chance :curse: Last year we were renting at the beach and my hayfever was the worst it has ever been in my life. In the end I used to just stay in my bedroom with all the windows and doors closed. Now we are further inland I am dreading the start of the season which is any day now. In the Uk I could get the Kenalog (not sure of the spelling) injection which really did help. I am just wondering what are the best remedies to ask for at the pharmacy over here. The antihistamines I got last year were of no use at all.

Sam
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hayfever - Please help

Originally Posted by sam parky
I suffer terribly with hayfever and thought moving near the coast would help. Not a chance :curse: Last year we were renting at the beach and my hayfever was the worst it has ever been in my life. In the end I used to just stay in my bedroom with all the windows and doors closed. Now we are further inland I am dreading the start of the season which is any day now. In the Uk I could get the Kenalog (not sure of the spelling) injection which really did help. I am just wondering what are the best remedies to ask for at the pharmacy over here. The antihistamines I got last year were of no use at all.

Sam
Sorry to hear that you are a hayfever sufferer. Do you know what actually sets you off? Sounds a silly question but often people are able to pinpoint what really sets them going. Is it worse in UK or Spain? If you are able to pinpoint the source it may help with your remedy but I am not sure.

I do not suffer from hayfever normally but one intake of breath through my nose near to a field of rape makes my life unbearable and the only way that I can lessen the effect is to breath through my mouth instead of my nose. I am also allergic to cats, dogs, gold and penicillin so all things that can be easily dealt with so I am lucky.

Have you ever had allergy tests to check on what your particular triggers are, because everyone is different and therefore the general treatment may not be the best for you.

Good lucl and hope that you find some answers on here.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:35 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Sam
This is going to sound a bit odd, or maybe it wont, but is there someone who produces honey in your are? It has to be from your area.
I get hay fever as well, a bugger since I work outside, and an old client of mine suggested I start having a spoonful of local honey a day. I have now for about 5 years and I have to say, it works. Something to do with creating an Immune response by introducing what you are allergic to every day. Same as inoculations I think.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Sam
The discussion on this website might help. http://www.ivenus.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001801.html There´s no reason why you can´t go to a doc here in Spain and get a Kenalog injection once a year in April but most people just buy Xyzal over the counter (by prescription in UK) which is supposed to be the best antihistamine.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
This is going to sound a bit odd, or maybe it wont, but is there someone who produces honey in your are? It has to be from your area.
I get hay fever as well, a bugger since I work outside, and an old client of mine suggested I start having a spoonful of local honey a day. I have now for about 5 years and I have to say, it works. Something to do with creating an Immune response by introducing what you are allergic to every day. Same as inoculations I think.
I've read about this before and it does make sense. Do you have to take it every day of the year or do you start it a bit before the period when you are likely to be suffering? My youngest son suffers badly and I am considering this for him.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Sam
Sam..

Must get local to your area honey..a spoonfull a day has helped numerous friends of mine..worth a try you poor thing....
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

This is not odd where I live in sheffield up in the farmland there is a garden centre which sells locally produced honey for hayfever sufferers. I don't suffer myself but my sister-in-law suffers badly, when she was pregnant the dr recomended the honery as a natural alternative to prescribed drugs......and it worked she's used it ever since!
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:41 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
I've read about this before and it does make sense. Do you have to take it every day of the year or do you start it a bit before the period when you are likely to be suffering? My youngest son suffers badly and I am considering this for him.
I start taking it when the tree pollen starts, and keep going until the end of September time, but then I also have it in my tea, and occasionally on toast so I do tend to have a lot of it.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:56 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I think its grass pollen that sets me off, i usually get really bad in the UK in June time. will be interesting to see how i am in the costa.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:01 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I start taking it when the tree pollen starts, and keep going until the end of September time, but then I also have it in my tea, and occasionally on toast so I do tend to have a lot of it.
What about orange blossom ... is that bad?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:34 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What about orange blossom ... is that bad?
We lived right next to a massive orange grove in Spain and aside from the smell of rotting flesh I never had it out there.
I'm told that it is the high concentration of Oil Seed Rape that sparks off many hay fever sufferers but I don't know if thats true
Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:37 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We lived right next to a massive orange grove in Spain and aside from the smell of rotting flesh I never had it out there.
I'm told that it is the high concentration of Oil Seed Rape that sparks off many hay fever sufferers but I don't know if thats true

Oh right, well with the increasing amount of rape being grown in the UK it must be terrible for sufferers back home.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 11:48 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Great to find a natural remedy rather than a load of chemicals being put into your system.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:45 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the help guys. I have never heard of the local honey helping so will sure give it a go. If it doesnt help then off to the doc hopefully to get the Kenalog injection.

Sam
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Thanks for all the help guys. I have never heard of the local honey helping so will sure give it a go. If it doesnt help then off to the doc hopefully to get the Kenalog injection.

Sam
Hi Sam,

Sorry to hear of your problems, I used to alway's get Hay Fever when I lived on the Costas and it did not make any difference how close to the sea we were it was serious and I was like you in a closed room.

I found out that the worst thing for me was Olives and as you know there are a lot of olive trees in spain.

I was recommended a tablet called "Ebastel" Forte Comprimidos, mad by Almirall, Barcelona, but no problem all chemists know of them and you can buy over the counter.
They are excellent and after about 2 day's it will stop and without any drowsiness.

Since living in Galicia I don't get it and I live right in the middle of a forest, and this is a first for me as I have had hay fever really badly since I was a kid.

Best of luck m8 as it makes you so irritable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.